Annual Update - 5 Years In, now quitting my day job!

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Annual Update - 5 Years In, now quitting my day job!

Post by VanderBoegh » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:06 pm

For these past few years, I've been posting an annual update on my progress right before I leave for the Rally, as it pretty marks the anniversary of when I began pursuing TV music. This Rally marks the end of 5 years of doing this stuff seriously.

I sure hope this doesn't come off as sounding like I'm tooting my own horn, floating my own boat, patting myself on the back (pick your analogy... maybe "flushing my own toilet"?) But this year.... wow! I had a great one.

For the past 8-12 months, I've had my sights set on quitting my teaching job. I kept telling myself that as soon as my royalty checks hit five figures, that's when I would finish my current semester and give my notice that I wouldn't be returning. Well, wouldn't you know... my last (October quarterly) ASCAP check was THIS close to hitting that mark, just narrowly missing it. If the upward trend of growing income continues into the next check, then I will have hit my goal in January. So, forward thinking and all... I told Boise State University that I would not be returning in the Spring semester. I'm still going to keep my moonlighting gig as an online instructor for a local community college as a safety net. But since those classes are online, that means I don't have to report in for a "day job". Which means that starting this coming January, I'll be making the big leap to writing music full-time.

I'm beyond thrilled to have hit this major milestone in my life. Five years ago I had no idea what the hell I was doing. Four years ago I had landed a few deals. Three years ago I got my first placements. Last year my royalties crept into the thousand-dollar range. And this year, well, it's just exponential growth. And to think that I - probably like a lot of you - thought it would never happen for me.... Hell, I'm just a dude in Boise Idaho who had no connections anywhere. But I had a dream. And I had Taxi.

I now have over 1,500 cues signed to 20 different libraries. My music has been on over 100 TV shows spanning I-have-no-idea-how-many networks. I've been fortunate enough to have built some very solid friendships with new collaborators I've met here on the forums (Marcus "We Will Write U a Song" & Corey "Cwadroon"), and have made more tracks with my previous collaborators Terrell & Owen. I've helped my friends get signed to libraries, and my friend Russell Landwher got me signed to one of his with a collaboration we did last year. Such a cool thing about Taxi and these forums is that we help each other out as much as we can.

So yeah, it's been a heck of a year for Yours Truly. If you see me at the Rally, I'll be the guy with the jumbo-sized smile on my face... and a jumbo-sized drink in my hand.

For those of you just starting this journey, or are maybe finishing your 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year, and might be a little discouraged by the slow speed of this business, rest assured that as long as you stick with it, good things will happen. Don't stop. My brother and I have a theory that the only thing that separates successful people from the rest of the pack is that successful people just keep going long after everyone else has quit. So keep moving and shaking. There ain't nothing special about me... if I can do this, anyone with a tiny morsel of musical talent can do it too. And if anyone tries to tell you that you can't make a living producing TV cues, tell them to suck it!

The Taxi legends preach the 5-year plan. It's been 5 years for me exactly. Guess those guys were on to something...

See you all next week!!

~~Matt

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Annual Update - 5 Years In, now quitting my day job!

Post by lesmac » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:02 pm

Thanks for the post Matt. This isn't solo back patting or doing your own daily plumbing :lol: it's actually very inspirational for those of us who are committed to the journey but haven't seen much reward yet. Much appreciated!
I'd love to attend the rally but it would cost me a few thousand that I don't have. When I can afford it I'm going and I'll be bringing my fly rod to harass some American trout with.

roberthamilton
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by roberthamilton » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:19 pm

Right on, my brother! :D See you in a few days.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:34 pm

These are the messages that motivate new folks like me! SO HAPPY for you, my friend!

Paulie
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

digital1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by digital1 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:43 pm

Big congrats, Matt! Hope to meet you at the Rally!

Jerry

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:08 pm

WOW - that is brilliant.

WeWillWriteUaSong
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by WeWillWriteUaSong » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:47 pm

My man! What an inspiration to us all! A pleasure to have worked with you brother. See u in 6 days!!
Marcus aka CaiNo

"Those with evil intentions or contentious thoughts are instantly vanquished. The Art of Peace is invincible because it contends with nothing."

http://www.taxi.com/wewillwriteuasong
http://www.soundcloud.com/wewillwriteuasong

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:33 pm

You are an inspiration Matt! Congrats!!!

daveydad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by daveydad » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:56 am

Awesome testimony!! I'm coming to the end of my 3rd year and am seeing things slowly growing, too. I already have a business from home, but hope I can report back in 2 years that I'm doing music full-time!!

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:57 am

Well-dang, my "MW" Compadre!! (how about them Aztecs' 40-13 over Utah St?! :? :shock: :D )...
what an awesome report.
See ya in a few days, LORD willing - and I'll be happy to raise a toast to your Taxi success.
FWIW: your Boysies need a big W over Wyoming so's we can have us a showdown for the MW title.
Cheers!!
ps - hope it's alright with you that I still call you "Professor"... :)
and... way to "pay it forward" as they say.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra