Looking for a second opinion...

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

artturner
Impressive
Impressive

Looking for a second opinion...

Post by artturner » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:27 pm

I submitted the cue below to the dispatch listing below.

It might help if you listen to the cue before you read the screener comments so you don't have expectations going in.

https://soundcloud.com/artturnermusic/t ... -of-a-life

MINIMAL TENSION INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an active Music Library with lots of great placements in TV and film. They’re looking for Down-Tempo Tension Cues that are stylistically similar to the references below: “How To Get Away With Murder 1x12 Connor & Annalise Tense Scene” (1:03-2:14): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvvKR9upVg0 “NBC Blindspot: 2x1 Jane and Kurt Fight” (0:23-1:23): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO1UcLp6Mz0 “Mr. Robot: Season 2, Episode 10 – (Spoiler) ‘Drive By’” (0:00-0:58): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5w5h26n4mU Please submit atmospheric tension underscore-style Instrumental Cues that are minimalistic, but still give a sense of forward movement. Simplicity and edginess are the keys to unlocking this request. Make viewers sweat a little without them even realizing how much the music is playing a part in that uneasiness they’re feeling. Organic instruments, synth pads and percussion are all elements you can use, as long as they sound contemporary and your arrangement is minimal. All submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded endings with a natural decay/ring out are recommended. Do NOT copy or rip off the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for texture, tone, and vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed (Great sounding home recordings are fine). This Company offers an EXCLUSIVE agreement with a 50/50 split.

Screener comments:

It was returned with this comment delivered in this particular screener's usual frank style: "Higher end string pads make this sound more like a cliched horror film type cue than one that builds tension as it moves forward. "

So does this sound like a "cliched horror film type cue" to everyone else? I'm not angry, I'm just looking for direction on fixing it or waiting for a listing for cliched horror cues. :)

Thanks!
Art

DanL
Active
Active

Re: Looking for a second opinion...

Post by DanL » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:13 am

Hi Art!

I don't know if I agree with the screeners "cliched horror film"-comment ...

But if you want to make your track a little more subtle and build tension more as it progress you could keep the strings in a lower register longer than you do now. After the strings climb up around 0.30 you could go down again to the register they played in before. Then you can repeat that a couple of times and let them climb up more in the end of the song to build tension there, maybe change to tremolo strings there as well. You could also try to cut off some of the top frequency-wise on the strings and put some more reverb on them to give them a more ambient sound.

Hope my comments can be to some help for you!

Dan
Daniel Leksell | music for film, TV and games
https://soundcloud.com/daniel-leksell-film-music

artturner
Impressive
Impressive

Post by artturner » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:57 am

Very helpful comments, thanks!

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:08 am

Art, I don't watch many horror films,

Compared to the examples, and the request for minimal, down-tempo, I thought your piece was almost galloping away and more musical than the others, not quite in the same ballpark.
Please submit atmospheric tension underscore-style Instrumental Cues that are minimalistic, but still give a sense of forward movement. Simplicity and edginess are the keys to unlocking this request. Make viewers sweat a little without them even realizing how much the music is playing a part in that uneasiness they’re feeling. Organic instruments, synth pads and percussion are all elements you can use, as long as they sound contemporary and your arrangement is minimal.
atmospheric, simplicity, minimal arrangement- I was actually getting into the music of your piece, ;)

For a musical tension piece, I think you aced it!! I think they wanted a more boring, atmospheric, simpler piece, more of a sound effect than a musical composition. I guess if that's what a "cliched horror film cue" is, then I guess I'd agree. :?
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Sunset
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Sunset » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:06 pm

Art,

I agree with Dan's comments about the string register- it might work better starting lower...

The other thing.. if you listen to the Blindspot cue, there are synth elements that interact with the strings- drones etc -that bring a "contemporary feel" to just using straight strings.. I don't hear a lot of strings in the other 2 references...

Keep that cue for another application- it's well written..

John

artturner
Impressive
Impressive

Post by artturner » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:32 pm

Thanks John, I probably didn't spend enough time with the references. I appreciate your comments!

Thanks Len, I never feel bad about being called too musical!

:D

Onaginoffegin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Onaginoffegin » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:57 pm

Hey Art,
I listened to your piece twice — once before and once after reading the screener's comment.
I enjoyed the piece.
The first time I listened, I thought the cue was initially moving along well. Where the piece turned "horror" for me was towards the end, with the dissonant strings.
Also, like the screener said, when you use high strings, you're diving into horror cue territory.
But "cliched?" Not so much.

Additionally, starting with the subtle pulse you have and slowly building it into a more present, driving pulse might help build tension. Or perhaps a build, a drop, then a rebuild.

Also, for this type of listing, I'd put the strings in the background so they're barely noticeable, and add some current aggressive and/or experimental synth pads weaving in and out. I think it would add the edginess the listing asks for.

Those are my cliched suggestions. ;)

Nemry

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:43 pm

I didn't get horror from it, but I felt it had two moods at least, and that's perhaps the issue.

For the first 45 secs I am getting emotional optimistic, then it changes to something more ominous. So you could work on making the beginning darker, or, take out the darker elements and work on having a dramatic positive/hopeful piece.

Just my two cents, before reading other comments :)
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

MrKaplan
Active
Active

Post by MrKaplan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:34 pm

Hi,

I listened to the song and really enjoyed it. I thought it was mixed really well and the tension it built was great. As far as "cliched horror" I would disagree. I think it fit what the post was looking for. As the others have stated maybe starting the strings in a lower register would help. Great job!

Jason