Rock instrumental submission to #S161116RI - feedback pls :)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

chriswattsuk
Active
Active

Rock instrumental submission to #S161116RI - feedback pls :)

Post by chriswattsuk » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:44 am

Hey guys,

I've written this track to submit to the listing below. I'm keen to get thoughts on the track / production and relevance for the ad which I've pasted below.

Any feedback would be massively appreciated if you've got 5 minutes!

https://soundcloud.com/chris_watts_uk/w ... ental-demo

Thank you!

Chris :)

---

HIGH-ENERGY ROCK INSTRUMENTALS are needed for Direct-to-Company, NON-Exclusive, $500 placements in Radio Commercials for a massive Internet Radio Company's advertisers. They're looking for rockin' Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals in the general stylistic wheelhouse of bands like Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, Wolfmother, etc., etc., etc. Take a listen to the following references to get an idea of what they need:

"The Pretender" by Foo Fighters

"No One Knows" by Queens of the Stone Age

"Joker And The Thief" by Wolfmother

Although the references have vocals, please submit instrumentals only for this pitch. Send them well-crafted Instrumentals that generally reflect the overall vibe of the references above.

An authentic Rock sound with pumping bass lines, punchy drums, and crunchy guitars is key for this pitch. Your submissions should have great energy, with plenty of melodic and rhythmic hooks throughout. All submissions should be at least 2 minutes long, with short to no intros, easy edit points, and non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings. Do NOT copy or rip off the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for texture, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed (Great sounding home recordings are fine).

The estimated licensing fee will be at least $500 per track, but they could potentially be higher depending on the duration, usage, and account/client/product the track will be used for. You will keep ownership of 100% of the Publishing and Master rights. No publishing splits! You must own or control your Master and Composition to submit to this pitch. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than 11:59PM (PST), on Wednesday, November 16th, 2016. TAXI #S161116RI

SteveJCurtis
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Rock instrumental submission to #S161116RI - feedback pl

Post by SteveJCurtis » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:23 am

Hi Chris.
Liked the track.
Just a couple of thoughts.
I like the way it builds from the start, but there isn't an identifiable melody that comes in to keep grabbing my attention.
The change at 1.25 is cool, and that lifts it all up a gear for me, but then it goes back again.
I wonder whether it would be better to add a melody line as the song builds and bring that change in earlier than 1.25?
What drums do you have on it? Worth looking at those. A lot of times the screeners on the rock pitches really scrutinize the drums - you know, real vs programmed.
Just my two penn'arth worth.
All the best
Steve

chriswattsuk
Active
Active

Post by chriswattsuk » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:51 pm

Hey Steve

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and reply.

Interestingly I was having similar thoughts myself with regards to melody given there are no vocals, so I'll give this some thought.

With regards to the drums, do you feel they are overly synthetic? They are virtual drums, but I think they sound pretty natural.

Cheers

Chris

SteveC
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by SteveC » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:09 pm

Hi Chris,

I was rocking along with you on the first 40 seconds or so waiting for the change that it seemed you were building to...May want to consider bumping it up earlier rather than later. But that's besides the point.

The listing is asking for "plenty of melodic rhythmic hooks throughout" Listing calls for "punchy drums" ...I'm learning that more times than not, taking the listing language literally is key to garnering a forward. Just my 1.5 cents (adjusted for inflation) Guitars were solid, great foundation to build on from there. Enjoyed the listen.

keep rocking !

st

robroper
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by robroper » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:06 pm

Chris,

I like it! Good arrangement. Good guitar tones. Good mix. I think the drums sound good.

I agree with the Steves that a melody would probably help. It doesn't have to be flashy or fast. In fact, a slow melody line would be a good contrast to the rhythmic strumming of the guitars. I'd compose a simple but nice melody in the major key (not blues).

I would then bring the melody in, as early as :15 or you could wait until :23 I think the screeners might consider the Intro or A part too long without a melody. I like the B part with the clean chord arpeggios starting at :39. You might want to add a lead or melody in the second half of that too.

I love the C part starting at 1:25. I don't think this part should have a melody. It's a good bridge or breakdown, then back to A to close (with the A melody or a variation on it).

Rock on, and good luck!

chriswattsuk
Active
Active

Post by chriswattsuk » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:40 pm

I'm absolutely stoked at the level of feedback you've all been able to provide, can't tell you how invaluable it is!!

I've gone back and made some further tweaks:

- Brought in a software bass part that sits below the real bass line and hopefully adds a little more weight to the low end
- Introduced a melody that kicks in at 0.25 - initially I had something more leady, but I backtracked from that it felt there was just a tad too much going on rythmically. I decided something that reflects the main bass / drum / groove was best, slightly QOTSA maybe? Which is one of the reference tracks for that listing. This reoccurs before chorus and again at the end
- Gave the verse some minor development with a lead guitar part that kicks in 0.56, hopefully breaks it up a bit
- Some subtle volume lifts in chorus and the final outro section

Here it is:
https://soundcloud.com/chris_watts_uk/w ... strumental

And just in case you wanted to compare, the original is here:
https://soundcloud.com/chris_watts_uk/w ... ental-demo

I've definitely reached that point now where I can't see the wood for the trees, I will submit anyway - it's been a massively useful experience getting this feedback, so thanks again x

:) :) :) :) :) :)

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:51 pm

I'm a little late, but looks like you took the feedback and went with it, your track sounds great!

It seems your new version is a bit quieter than the demo though, might be worth something keeping in mind for future mixes. Just my .02

Good luck on the submission!!

robroper
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by robroper » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:03 pm

The new version sounds great! Good luck. I'll be shocked if this doesn't get forwarded.

SteveJCurtis
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by SteveJCurtis » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:36 am

Hi Chris.
Apologies for replying late.
The track and the added ideas sound great. I think the drums sound good too. ( What are they by the way? AD2?)
Good luck with it!
All the best
Steve

chriswattsuk
Active
Active

Post by chriswattsuk » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:05 pm

Thanks guys. I'll post the outcome, would so love to get my first forward! The drums are Logic Pro X standard drummer drums, converted to midi and tweaked. I'm not sure what the kit patch was off the top of my head..