Newbie from Sweden saying hello

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DanL
Active
Active

Re: Newbie from Sweden saying hello

Post by DanL » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:49 am

Thank you for your advice. I'm going to have access to music lawyers through an organisation I'm going to join this coming week, but maybe I'll sign the deal before having them read it.

Dan
Russell Landwehr wrote:Hi, Dan!

good to meet you.
DanL wrote:Hi everyone!
today I got my first email from a music licensing company who wants to sign two of my tracks exclusively. Now I just have to read the 15 page contract. :? I guess it would be best having a music lawyer looking at it …
Congratulations! Great news!

If the company contact was from a TAXI forward, then I wouldn't worry too much about having a lawyer look at the contract... unless you are also looking at self-publishing the material. It is likely to cost you more than what you would make from the music.

Things to look out for would be them making a claim on any future work you do, but if it is an exclusive contract from a music licensing company, my guess is that they just want the exclusive right to shop these specific works for sync "in perpetuity". If you're okay with them being the only ones to shop your music for Film/TV use forever, then you're good. This kind of thing isn't as big of a deal as you would think it could be. Plus... you can write a million more, eh?

Also, if you are looking at it from the context of wanting to change some clauses, you might want to put that out of your head.... it's probably going to be a yes/no on your part.

Russell
Daniel Leksell | music for film, TV and games
https://soundcloud.com/daniel-leksell-film-music

DanL
Active
Active

Re: Newbie from Sweden saying hello

Post by DanL » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:52 am

Thanks for all the welcomes! Se you all around!

All the best,
Dan
Daniel Leksell | music for film, TV and games
https://soundcloud.com/daniel-leksell-film-music