with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Susanstunes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

is Pro Tools too hard for a begginer?

Post by Susanstunes » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:59 pm

Hi all,
I am getting conflicting opinions on whether a first time home studio person will be able to learn Pro Tools without going crazy or should I be using something "easier". I will be recording from MIDI also , and a guy at Sweetwater just told me is Protools is NOT user friendly with MIDI.
Can you all chime in and help me figure this out...?
Thanks everyone! BTW I did already purchase Studio One with Audio Box 2 (purchased from Guitar Center) but it doesn't seem to be working at all and keeps telling me with a scull and crossbones icon that it was not installed properly, even tho it was working before. I feel very insecure and worried that PreSOnus Studio One is not as good as Pro Tolls.

Thanks for your advice! Susan

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: is Pro Tools too hard for a begginer?

Post by Len911 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:49 pm

You've already got Studio One, so I'd stay with it! There's not really much difference between daws and certainly not worth spending the money on duplicating the same processes, the money would be better spent on instruments, effects or other useful software or hardware. There's really nothing "easier", they all operate on the same principles, there may be versions that limit the features for less money, but they usually always are the same core program. It used to be that Pro Tools was more of an audio software and not setup for midi, but things have changed. Pro Tools can be confusing mainly for it's many different configurations, there are semi-pro versions, and Pro versions that use very expensive interfaces and plugins, used to be called HD. If you are starting a daw fresh, and expected to either work in or with professional studios, the regular pro tools will acquaint you with it's bigger brother, but the thing is, once you learn any daw well, the same principles apply across the board, so it really doesn't matter that much.

First thing is to find your serial number, it's either on the box or in an email if you bought it as a download from Guitar Center.

Uninstall Studio One. Reinstall it, if you reinstall from DVD's, make sure you update the software from the Presonus Studio One website.

http://forums.taxi.com/topic136951.html
steps these are general guidelines for any plugins

1. Serial number or a code is supplied by the company through e-mail usually, you purchased the product from, if third party.

2. Go to manufacturer's site, download software if you haven't already, create and/or login to account, usually located under "My account" or support.

3. Look for "authorization". enter serial number, download authorization code/license

4. if you are using an ilok for product that uses ilok, the manufacturer will send your license to ilok, so you need to go to ilok and create/login to account to retrieve your license and download to ilok that is connected to a usb port

5. open software, stand-alone or through vst.

6. the software then automatically searches for license/authorization. It will search all allowable method(s). Sometimes, and the mfg. will state, if there is a particular folder or location the license needs to be. Usually there is so it can find the license quickly, unlike paths for vst, sample files, or library files the software might use for instance.

7. if you get a boxed software, there is usually a serial number on the box, you then need to go to mfg. site to enter s/n to get authorization code/license/validation.
If you have any problems or further questions, just ask.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:42 pm

I've tried several of the daws, and they are all the same, just different. There's a workflow in each of them, and you have to understand the same things in a daw, like where is the settings, where is the record button, how to apply a plug-in ect.

You can produce professional music in all of them, so, it is coming down to personal feel and taste. I'd suggest try a bunch of them, and go with what feels immediate and likeable for you. You have to at least like it and feel comfortable with trying things out in there, as you are going to spend a lot of hours of your life with it. So you can't go wrong i you try, and go with what you like. Even if you try like, and end up wanting to change, you will learn basic things you can reuse in another daw, so don't buy into any hype. Be intuitive, trust yourself, and be an artist.
Ceo of my own life

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:21 pm

I use Tracktion, it's very user friendly and deals very well with VSTs, midi, recording, mixing etc. It's one of the most reasonably priced DAWs and one of the easiest to use.
https://marketplace.tracktion.com/app/

The Ultimate Pack - only $200 – includes Tracktion’s T7 DAW, Micro Synth Pack, Master Mix, Celemony Software’s Melodyne Essentials and Tracktion’s revolutionary Biotek Organic Synthesizer (individual value $409).

You can download the free version of Tracktion 5, try it out, and then upgrade for a few bucks if you like it.
https://www.tracktion.com/products/t5-daw
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:02 pm

I have seen many videos where producers use logic and/or pro tools.
I use Pro tools and it can chuck a wobbly now and then for me. Ive seen producers say the same thing.
I would stick with Studio One or try Logic.

The old chestnut about Pro tools being the industry "standard" isn't relevant IMO anymore.

For creativity and ease of use/workflow Logic or probably Studio One -which I know nothing about, are probably your best bet.
Great instruments, ease of use, cool loops etc

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:55 pm

The easiest way to learn a daw is to use it like a cookbook, read the "getting started manual", that will give you the basics on what the utensils are called, how many quarts in a gallon, tips if you live in a high altitude,lol, and then use the recipes when you need to, don't try to memorize all of the recipes, there will be many you never use. There will be some you make so often that you easily remember them, and some so few that you follow the recipe every time. If you don't use a recipe often, you will forget it anyway, so don't bother memorizing it.

You will notice many conventions, like those in most all software, File, Edit, and usually located in the conventional places, you won't be totally lost.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:21 am

The easiest way to learn a daw is to use it like a cookbook, read the "getting started manual", that will give you the basics on what the utensils are called, how many quarts in a gallon, tips if you live in a high altitude,lol, and then use the recipes when you need to, don't try to memorize all of the recipes, there will be many you never use. There will be some you make so often that you easily remember them, and some so few that you follow the recipe every time. If you don't use a recipe often, you will forget it anyway, so don't bother memorizing it.

You will notice many conventions, like those in most all software, File, Edit, and usually located in the conventional places, you won't be totally lost.
Good point! Made that mistake myself. Print out some of the main keyboard shortcuts. They are always way cooler than using a mouse.

Basic things like record, playback, undo, pre and post roll on and off, new track.

When I first used pro tools I had to close the session cause I didn't know how to zoom out after zooming in :oops: :!:

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:29 am

When I bought my first DAW I struggled for days trying to figure out Cubase and I'm an audio geek; I was up and running in Tracktion in less than thirty minutes, cuz it's just a mixer turned on its side. Harrison Mixbus is another no-brainer DAW; the tools are built-in, no 3rd party VSTs to wrestle with. I'd use that if I didn't need tons of virtual instruments. Gotta love context-based controls in a single screen interface. Yeah, I think ProTools is way too complex for beginners, but so are Logic and Reaper.
Last edited by mojobone on Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

Susanstunes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Susanstunes » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:07 am

Thanks everyone that was SO helpful! I think I'll give my Studio One another go... I have a guy at Guitar Center who will help me if I have more issues... excited!
Susan