Appreciate ears on a re recording...THANKS

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Appreciate ears on a re recording...THANKS

Post by LamarPecorino » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:23 pm

Thanks for sharing. I really like the song!
Onward and upward!
Lamar

“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained" JFK

SteveC
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by SteveC » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:08 pm

Hi all,

Lamar, thanks for the listen.

Trish, I like those lines. 2 mimes looking for words to say....Thanks for listening, I know how you feel about lyrics. :o

Dean, yeah, I feel the same way, but we tried a dozen times to re do and she just seemed to have a mental block right there.

You guys rock! Thanks for the ears, and taking the time to comment.

feel the love

st

LyricsMatter
Impressive
Impressive

Post by LyricsMatter » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:00 pm

And that's all that matters!

You rock, st! ;)
Lyrics Matter

stevetwosheds
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by stevetwosheds » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:02 am

Hi Steve

Just to say I listened to the female version, then got curious about the one you did yourself and found that, enjoyed that version a little more I THINK - I THINK there is something in your voice that keeps me listening, or maybe it's your expression - then the next song kicked in while I was still wondering if I had anything useful to say on the first one - and I've got to say I liked that more (3rd song on playlist) because it just felt 100% authentic and effortless - If I wasn't dog tired (it's gone 7am and been meaning to go to bed since about 1) I'd remember the title but my head's spining, sorry.

Anyway your vocal went high half way through that third recording on soundcloud and it sounded great to me, reminded me of the bloke from DEXY'S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS - KEVIN ROWLAND - or how he sounds lately. I just liked your tone and the whole feel of the band, if it is a band. It's a nice sound. I;m not clever enough to know how current it is or isn't, only that I liked it.

The next one (4th) started playing and I just had to pause due to tiredness- but if I was awake it would have been nice to listen to the lot - I'm just too tired. But it sounded like a promising "album" judging from those examples.

On the first song - I think my only thoughts were that if this were some mega famous person doing this song, there would be nothing to question - song seems fine - without being picky - if it was some incredible, unusual voice, some unusually great performance that sounded difficult or impossible to repeat exactly, lightening in a bottle and all that, the song would be accepted for what it is and people would go "wow!" (they might be going "Wow!" anyhow - I;ve not read the other comments yet in case it influences my own thoughts) ...

... When the vocal is just nice, good, as opposed to someone absolutely tearing their soul out, (and how the hell do you make someone do that? I dunno!) that puts more pressure on the song to be absolutely out of this world.

A while back we had that 7 YEARS OLD - LUKAS GRAHAM if my spelling is right - and I like to think that had two or three extra things going for it - the unusualness of the song and various things in the lyric that I'm sure many of us can relate to, imagine those things said to us ... so the song was, I think, pretty close to being out of this world - It's difficult to tell because...

...The VOCAL was that screaming to be heard, tearing his soul out, absolutely believable work of art in sound that I can only envy like watching someone fly to the moon - I've as much chance -

So then it's HARD to separate out whether it was the song or his vocal that was soooo good.

And I guess the guy has youth on his side which most taxi members don't, although I confess I genuinely don;t have a clue in your case and wouldn;t presume to guess.

For all I know, further down your list or waiting in your "to do" "to write" "To record" "to improve" list is some equvalent of 7 YEARS or whatever is your idea of a dream, hit song (if that;s your aim and I don't see why not - You clearly have plenty of talent - you're making it look EASY) - and it MIGHT be just a case of marrying it to the right vocal - one that is simply OUT OF THIS WORLD - Not asking much, I know -

That could be your voice - or (Natalie?) - or someone else - different songs bring different things out of singers - I just can;t help feeling that WHOEVER it is needs to feel 100% comfortable releasing every possible bit of emotion while laying down their part - which can be kinda embarrassing for some, so they'll tend to hold back. It's like acting and you/they have got to be prepared to cry if need be without feeling stupid - That can be hard enough on your own.

I;m saying this as if I know the answer but unfortunately I don't - All I know is I've BEEN in that situation when you KNOW you need to pull an incredible vocal from someone and you KNOW they are capable of it but something is stopping them - shyness of you - or a friend who's come along to watch - or they're not into the song as much as you hoped - and how in God's name do you GET them to deliver their best? Because I strongly suspect that's MORE than half the battle.

Even though I;m a songwriter and I;ve been as guilty as anyone for propagating the "myth?" that "it;s all about the song", in my heart of hearts, I am beginning to doubt it - I'm inclined to believe "it's all about the artist" and if Beyonce farted in a bottle it would sell more than anything I could produce with all my heart - at the moment anyway!

That isn;t meant as a cynical remark and obviously I;m not entirely serious - But I do believe that a singer who believes in your song like she believes in her own mother and will sob at the mic if that';s where it takes her (or you) is more likely to translate into a hit song / hit artist. You've got to CAPTURE that moment.

I hope I;m making sense here, at least in a small way - I think what she did on that first song was absolutely fine - I didn't get swept along as such - the next song I could feel pulling me along a bit more - I was reluctant to pause - But assuming the goal was "hit song" - I'm absolutely certain that a GREAT singer will probably TELL you if you've got one - because she or he will want it for themselves - and they won't want paying - and they'll claw the eyes out of anyone else who wants it before them. Because real hit songs are that rare - and I guess the singers who can perform them 100% are pretty rare too.

I'm sat here willing you along Steve because it's probably easier than willing myself along, truth be told. I'm old and knackered - or feel it. Or maybe it's bronchitis making me feel that way.

If anything I've said doesn't sound right to you, just ignore it, I'm probably talking rubbish but with the best of intentions. oops, 8am.

You're a good writer! Singer! Musician! - just looking for that extra 10% I guess??

Steve

Susanstunes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Susanstunes » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:27 am

Hi Steve,
I am definitely not the one to ask about how it sounds technically, as in the mix, etc. since I do not have knowledge (yet!) on that which I know is crucial to be successful. But, I like the song's hook. It doesn't seem to be exactly Indie, from what I've heard, but seems to fit more in the Pop arena... either way, I like listening to it. Your singer is obviously very solid! The final chorus sounds like it could have some kind of more "lift" in it like in the way of a different phrasing or interplay to set up the finale.

Those are my 2 cents!

Susan

SpeakLifeSasha

Post by SpeakLifeSasha » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:56 pm

Great song Steve. I look forwarded to hearing more! Sasha
Sasha Benoit

SteveC
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by SteveC » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:56 pm

Hi Steve,

thanks for the listens, very cool. Longest reply I have ever received to a posting so a mere thanks for the listen, doesn't seem right.

Like you, I'm a songwriter, with my youth in the rear view mirror, but youthful dreams still dance in my head.

We are not a performing band. Been there, done that. That train has long left the station. I have the good fortune and blessing of having a group of friends that also happen to be world class studio musicians. What they bring to the process is magical to me and I've pinched myself more than once in studio watching them play. Truth be told, my vocals, don't rise to their level of playing. With that in mind, I thought I'd experiment with having others sing a few tracks. Still a work in progress, not sure what I'm going to ultimately do.

I'd rather be a songwriter than a singer, but I haven't found "that" voice that sings them all the way I hear them in my head, so for now, I will muddle along and continue my experiment which by the way is also a lot of fun.

I still believe great songs find their way to the right people. So, obviously I haven't written one yet, but I'm getting closer. I agree that a great performance can sell a song and be the deciding factor in achieving a hit. By the way, a hit song these days doesn't guarantee financial independence anymore.

I'm happy to "will" you along any time you need. I Hope you get over that bronchitis quickly and that you get your butt back to writing a hit song. The world is waiting on us.

Thanks for your sincere interest and kind words.

cheers

st

SteveC
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by SteveC » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:01 pm

Thanks Susan for the ears. Genres are funny things. I'm wrong more times than not. :lol:

Thanks Sasha, I'll keep writing if you keep singing

best,

st

SteveJCurtis
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by SteveJCurtis » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:46 am

Hi Steve.
I loved the song. Everything. The voice, production, the lot.
One question - and please do not take this the wrong way - does the song need the pressed roll/marching snare coming in from 3'.0"something ?
Not even sure it needs the long ride out after that because the song seems "complete" to me up until the marching snare comes in and so maybe it should end there?
Probably just me and my taste, and as we all say, just my 2 cents ( or in my case 2 penn'arth).
But thanks for sharing it and well done. Very enjoyable listen.
All best/Steve

SteveC
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by SteveC » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:10 pm

Hi Steve,

thanks for the listen and thoughts. Still tweaking a few things. The idea of the snare was to provide a sense or vibe of "marching on" with life...Wasn't originally in the song, post production idea...Haven't decided yet. A lot of what I write has long outro's. Guilty. That's how music was when I was a kid, full length. I love hearing the music or maybe I just love to hear the musicians play? 8-)

Anyone else noticing how many guys named Steve are on the forums?

Ho Ho Ho

cheers
st