Soundcloud Question

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jlizerbram
Impressive
Impressive

Soundcloud Question

Post by jlizerbram » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:52 am

Hi all,

I only recently begun posting music to Soundcloud, since it seems like the common place where successful members are posting their works (besides the TAXI music page, of course!). All my tracks on SoundCloud are net new - just wrote them, and just posted them. I plan on keep on adding to Soundcloud - however as public as it is, is it OK to post them as "downloadable"?

Another question - given that SoundCloud is so public, I am getting requests from other Soundcloud members to post my music on their Soundcloud page which has 1000+ followers. They do want something in return, and that is to signup with a free account with one of their services (in one case, it's a gaming website). It sounds very "Phishy" to me, and I'm not looking to exploit my music in such a public arena.

How do you folks properly manage and post your music to Soundcloud?

Thanks in advance!

-Jeff
Jeff Lizerbram
TAXI Member

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Soundcloud Question

Post by funsongs » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:57 am

jlizerbram wrote:Hi all,

I only recently begun posting music to Soundcloud, since it seems like the common place where successful members are posting their works (besides the TAXI music page, of course!). All my tracks on SoundCloud are net new - just wrote them, and just posted them. I plan on keep on adding to Soundcloud - however as public as it is, is it OK to post them as "downloadable"?

Another question - given that SoundCloud is so public, I am getting requests from other Soundcloud members to post my music on their Soundcloud page which has 1000+ followers. They do want something in return, and that is to signup with a free account with one of their services (in one case, it's a gaming website). It sounds very "Phishy" to me, and I'm not looking to exploit my music in such a public arena.

Thanks in advance!

-Jeff
Hi Jeff - fellow San Diegan -
I'm interested in the answer you get from others. Up 'til now, I have been deleting any visitors or followers whose site posts no tracks of their own - and appear to be as you mention, 'phishy'...
besides ones that have a profane or vulgar content - which I do not want associated with my own page. I'll be following this thread, though. :? :shock: 8-) ... so WATCH OUT! :)

Only at the request of a co-writer for a newer song, did I set that track to 'downloadable'... as an 'equal rights' things, sort of; but, so far, that's the only one.

Cheers.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:17 pm

Hello Jeff, legitimate listeners don't proposition.

I upload wav files and make them downloadable. That way if I happen to put them up on peer-to-peer, people if they choose can download them and listen on their monitoring system.

Yes it's public, but no legitimate entity is going to steal them and use them in their next blockbuster film, or artist. Someone who might steal in order to become famous, is going to steal from someone famous! Why spend the time mixing and mastering if the public is only able to hear your efforts in the lowest form possible? Granted, most people will not bother downloading anyway. In the olden days, how many times did a listener have to listen to a song for free on the radio before they eventually bought the single, album or cd?

The best thing in the world would be if someone downloaded one of your songs and sent it to everyone they knew!
And it didn't cost you a dime,lol! Wow! :D
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

jlizerbram
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jlizerbram » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:43 pm

Thank you Len and Peter. I think the best thing for SoundCloud is to use common sense like any other cloud service. I will probably continue uploading to SoundCloud, stay away from the phishers, and only if Universal comes knocking on my door, I may consider otherwise :D
Jeff Lizerbram
TAXI Member

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:06 pm

jlizerbram wrote:Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

-Jeff
I wouldn't let anything be downloaded

I set everything as private for a couple of days and then make it public if needed - that helps avoid the spam

I block anyone doing anything suspicious. I'm not looking for followers, just want to post my work for feedback or to pitch.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

jlizerbram
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jlizerbram » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:01 pm

Thank you, Vickie. Sounds like the way composers are managing their Soundcloud sites vary. I think I'll start out a bit more open, perhaps to get more exposure, and tighten it down as appropriate. If it really starts to get annoying, I'll just take it entirely private! But good feedback guys. Thank you for your input.

-Jeff
Jeff Lizerbram
TAXI Member

fuzzbox
Impressive
Impressive

Post by fuzzbox » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:08 pm

Hi jlizerbram,
I have a Pro account on soundcloud (but you don't have to) I upload only tagged MP3s. That way you have your music tagged with the ID3. It's a good habit to get into. I don't think you can do that with a wave file, reliably anyway. Plus the MP3 file is smaller and hence quicker to upload.

I wouldn't make any song downloadable unless you want to give it away for free! :|

You can mark the files as private while you complete all the relevant details. Then when you're ready to unleash your music to the world, switch to public mode. :D 8-)

Good Luck ;)
ImageImage

All You Need Is Ears - Sir George Martin
The music is not in the notes, but in the silence betweenWolfgang Amadeus Mozart

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:43 pm

Hey Jeff, I use SoundCloud fairly regularly. I've got the paid Pro account. Here's my 2 cents:

I never set anything to be downloadable.

SoundCloud is frequented by scammers, phishers, and various fake profiles and ne'er-do-wells. If a profile seems fake, or "scammy", it probably is. I always delete those comments, likes, followers, messages, etc and report them to SoundCloud as frauds. I would NEVER pay for some automated bot to run up my playcounts... but in my line of work, playcounts don't mean doodley squat anyway.

For me, SoundCloud is just a convenient way to showcase my music by embedding their player widgets onto my website. It's also been a nice way for me to send links to libraries that I write for if I'm pitching a new song or album idea and just want to show them my style / sound.

~~Matt

roberthamilton
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by roberthamilton » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:45 pm

Hey Jeff,

Pretty much what Matt just said.

I use the Pro account too. It's a useful platform to be able to showcase your stuff for potential clients and to use the embedded player in your website. Like Matt, I delete and report all spam activity to SoundCloud. You have to kind of stay on top of that to keep it under control... it's like pulling weeds. If there's a duck-lip selfie of a hot 19 year old chick that really digs your ambient tension cue, it's probably spam. ;)

Robert

jlizerbram
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jlizerbram » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:53 pm

Dang, Robert, I had a few of those hot check selfies love my music recently! I thought I was onto something! Hee Hee. :lol:

Matt, and I appreciate your 2 cents very much. I listened to an older Taxi TV episode with John Fulford, and with Michael showcased your chops. Great stuff, and it was a great show.

Thanks again!

-Jeff
Jeff Lizerbram
TAXI Member