Pizzicato Strings and Dramedy

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

deankripp
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Pizzicato Strings and Dramedy

Post by deankripp » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:42 am

FOR ANYONE who attended one of my classes at the Taxi Road Rally last month, or who is reading my latest “genre” book, (or anyone who watched Michael Laskow hosting the TAXI TV show on "Reverse Engineering Music"… you will know that my chapter on dramedy music cues focuses largely on the use of pizzicato strings when entering into the world of writing and producing that particular genre of music for Film and TV. Last night I stumbled upon yet another reason why this “pizzicato string” approach is a valid concept.

So there I was, a cold-one in hand, maybe 9 or 10 o’clock in the evening... flipping through TV channels when I came upon this show I’d never seen before called, “The Great American Baking Show” (ABC) ....I stopped to watch for a few minutes and the first thing I noticed musically was Dramedy Cues using PIZZICATO STRINGS. Yup. I couldn't believe how much was being used... In the next ten minutes I heard: 7 pizzicato-string driven dramedy cues in a row.... SEVEN… IN A ROW… followed by one cue using regular "long-note" strings, then another dramedy cue driven by an Omnisphere “bell” sound and pizzicato strings.... wow... Hooah!!! …..ABC then went to commercial break where one of the ads was a “Tide” commercial using…. Yup… pizzicato-string dramedy music... go figure.

When the baking show came back on, (now entering the light-tension, judging phase), I heard: A marimba tension music cue, 3 pizzicato-string dramedy/tension cues, then back to four pizzicato-string driven dramedy cues as the judges tasted the desserts... I had heard enough…. and switched channels….

Yes, all types of instrumentation may be used in the creation of dramedy music…. but if you are just starting out, learning this genre, you can’t go wrong with pizzicato strings when trying to evoke the moods of; mischief, curiosity, sneaky, playfulness and light humor….

So, there ya go.

deano k

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Pizzicato Strings and Dramedy

Post by funsongs » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:20 pm

Well... pardon me for going OT (off-topic) - but, you got me curious as to what it was they were baking that was so whimsical?! :? 8-)
But maybe you weren't paying attention to that part; only zeroing in on the cues.
Attachments
pie.JPG
pie.JPG (83.07 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

deankripp
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by deankripp » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:58 pm

Well... pardon me for going OT (off-topic) - but, you got me curious as to what it was they were baking that was so whimsical?!

Heh...

They were baking desserts... in a limited time-frame, with various parameters... It was pretty funny actually. And... they could have used heavy tension but it was obvious that the show's producers and directors want the "flavor" of the show to be lighthearted.

:-)

deano k

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:39 pm

thanks Dean!

( gets ready for a run to the bakery :P )
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

fuzzbox
Impressive
Impressive

Post by fuzzbox » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:42 am

Hi Dean,
I have purchased your book a few days ago and just downloaded the examples. I will start to read and listen in the next hour or so. I'm new to TAXI and about to start working on some listings pretty soon. But first, I want to complete my research, your books included, along with plenty of TAXI TV Live, blogs, interviews, podcasts and books on songwriting, productions and mastering, etc. ;) I've finished the CUES now on to the GENRE.

It sounds like the show is a copy of an extremely popular show over here in the UK called the Great British Bake-Off. I have to say I didn't notice any Pizzicato strings in our version but will listen more intensely next time. :roll:

Thanks Dean :)
ImageImage

All You Need Is Ears - Sir George Martin
The music is not in the notes, but in the silence betweenWolfgang Amadeus Mozart

steveprobst
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by steveprobst » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:41 am

Great post Dean!

The cool thing about pizzicatos for me is I still have Logic 8 and the pizzi's in my "old" technology are decent enough to work for a recent Christmas forward. :D

Signed,

Dramedy Aware
Steve Probst

===========================
Songwriter/Composer
Touring Vocalist/Guitarist
http://SteveProbst.net
https://soundcloud.com/steveprobst

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:08 pm

Dramedy will never be the same again after your students have flooded the market with pizzicato cues, Dean. I picked up the genre book as well, and gotta say I really enjoy it. The small storys you put in takes off some pressure and makes me relax. Well written!
Ceo of my own life

deankripp
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by deankripp » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:30 pm

I have purchased your book a few days ago and just downloaded the examples. I will start to read and listen in the next hour or so. I'm new to TAXI and about to start working on some listings pretty soon. But first, I want to complete my research, your books included, along with plenty of TAXI TV Live, blogs, interviews, podcasts and books on songwriting, productions and mastering, etc.
Thanks Fuzz....

it sounds like you're doing all of the right things... go get it :-)

The cool thing about pizzicatos for me is I still have Logic 8 and the pizzi's in my "old" technology are decent enough to work for a recent Christmas forward.
It's amazing, isn't it, Steve. Old pizzicato VIs seem to work just fine. I won't tell you what i have been using cuz it's even older than L8..... well, ok..... SampleTank 2

;-)

Dramedy will never be the same again after your students have flooded the market with pizzicato cues, Dean. I picked up the genre book as well, and gotta say I really enjoy it. The small storys you put in takes off some pressure and makes me relax. Well written!

Thanks Kolstad....

good news is.... there are scores of new TV shows, films and Ads being created every year all around the globe.... plenty of placement opportunity for us all :-)

dean

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:45 pm

I blame Danny Elfman and "Desperate Housewives".
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

PJMack
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by PJMack » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:04 pm

Hi Dean,
Thank you for giving your time to educate lesser mortals like me. The reverse engineering shows were so inspiring to me,
I started writing a dramady cue straight after the show, using pizzicato strings as a basis. Thats all I wanted to say. BIG THANKS

ps I have both your books now

Respect Paul