Forum Newbie: Feedback for 80s Danceable Pop Return

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

SpeakLifeSasha

Forum Newbie: Feedback for 80s Danceable Pop Return

Post by SpeakLifeSasha » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:10 pm

Hello Everyone!

I am fairly new to Taxi, and I had the good fortune of attending this year's Road Rally. It was quite the amazing experience! Of the many wonderful people I met, Robbie Hancock encouraged me to join the Forum. It took some... okay a lot of effort to negotiate this platform, but I am here! Yay me. lol I am writing to ask for feedback on a recent return for the following listing:

1980’s Sounding, DANCEABLE POP SONGS with Female Vocals are needed for (up to) $15,000, NON-Exclusive, Direct-to-Supervisor placements in a new TV Show on Netflix. They’re looking for retro-sounding, Mid-to-Up-Tempo Songs that could be found on a 1980’s playlist with artists like (but not limited to) Janet Jackson, Madonna, Deniece Williams, etc., etc., etc. Please listen to the references they gave us to get an idea of the sound and style they need for this pitch:

“The Pleasure Principal” by Janet Jackson

“Like a Virgin” by Madonna

“Let’s Hear It For The Boy” by Deniece Williams

Please send them original songs that have an authentic 1980’s sound and style. Your vocals should be well performed from start to finish, with a solid delivery that sounds like a real ‘80s artist. They’d be happy to hear recently recorded songs that are produced to sound like they’re from that era, or songs that were actually recorded during that period! Dated drum and synth sounds could work in your favor for this pitch! Lyric themes can be about virtually anything artists might have sung about in the 1980s, but should be clean, and universal in nature. Please avoid references to specific names, dates, times, brands, and profanity. Do NOT copy or rip off the referenced artist or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine).

I submitted "Fill My Shoes," (https://soundcloud.com/sasha_benoit/fil ... ix/s-4MjxE) and the screener gave the following feedback:

"The melody is in the right spirit, but the remix approach feels a bit heavy on bells and whistles in the undercurrent. Would go with a more straightforward classic pop undercurrent to better support the lead."

I also submitted "Extravagant," (https://soundcloud.com/sasha_benoit/ext ... mo/s-F1q0b) and the screener gave the following feedback:

"Nice effort, Sasha, but I feel the vocal overpowers the instrumental performance. Would suggest more mix balance to help strengthen dynamics.."

I would appreciate any feedback on the music, the screener's feedback and anything else that you would like to add. Thanks in advance!

Sasha
Last edited by SpeakLifeSasha on Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sasha Benoit

SteveC
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Forum Newbie: Feedback for 80s Danceable Pop Return

Post by SteveC » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:52 pm

Hi Sasha,

Welcome to the forums, great folks, solid opinions, great community for feedback and ideas. You'll enjoy the experience.

link to Fill My Shoes, isn't working, FYI

Extravagant is a cool track, very 80's but I think the screener's feedback is right on. I think a quick mix fix gets you in the door for similar listings and opportunities. 80's music is in demand. Vocals do over power the music a bit....just my 2 cents.

Screeners feedback can only help you. BTW, not everyone agrees with them. :lol:

Looking forward to hearing more of your music

best

st

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:03 pm

Hello Sasha,

The vocals were fantastic and I thought the mix was perfect as well, unless the drums and bass were there and I didn't hear them, but I think the addition of drums and bass would have made it over the top, so smooth and the vocals were really just the greatest and well recorded.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

SpeakLifeSasha

Post by SpeakLifeSasha » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:05 pm

Thank you for the response Steve and welcoming me! I don't know why Fill My Shoes Isn't working. I tried to troubleshoot it but it was working for me. I just deleted the track and uploaded it again. Hopefully this works:

https://soundcloud.com/sasha_benoit/fil ... ix/s-4MjxE

Thank you also Len. I appreciate the kind words. There are drums and bass in both tracks.
Sasha Benoit

robbiejhancock
Impressive
Impressive

Post by robbiejhancock » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:08 pm

Hi Sasha!

I am so proud of you for signing up for the forum and posting not only your songs, but also the return you got from a listing. There is no better place to receive constructive feedback on your music so you can apply that education to future listings. I know that is not an easy thing to do but being open to the feedback is one of the best ways you can improve your musical chances for today's contemporary industry.

These are great tracks and you know my opinion on them. Hopefully some of the other members will chime in to help out with their opinions and suggestions as well. :)

Robbie
Robbie Hancock
https://robbiehancock.com
Sync or Swim Music
https://syncorswimmusic.com

SpeakLifeSasha

Post by SpeakLifeSasha » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:41 pm

Thanks Robbie. I so appreciate your feedback and all of your words of wisdom! You are the best.
Sasha Benoit

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:23 pm

Thank you also Len. I appreciate the kind words. There are drums and bass in both tracks.
:oops: Extravagant I listened again, they were there very subtly, but I was probably focusing mostly on the voice!

I just listened to "Fill My Shoes", drums were more prominent, voice and recording were great as well, though I preferred "Extravagant" as a song. Kudos!!
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Susanstunes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Susanstunes » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:41 pm

Hi Sasha,
I think both songs are great. Really impressive. I was wondering if you produce in a home studio? Do you have help engineering and mixing?

Susan
www..taxi.com/susanhillman

SpeakLifeSasha

Post by SpeakLifeSasha » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:43 pm

:lol: Len, thanks again. I like Extravagant better too but don't tell anyone! lol

Hi Susan. Thank you so much! I do have a home studio but I cannot take any credit for the mixing and engineering! Extravagant was mixed and mastered by an engineer and Fill My Shoes was co-produced with me and the other producer took care of the end product sounds. Thanks again for your comments.
Sasha Benoit

Piewackit1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Piewackit1 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:20 pm

"Nice effort, Sasha, but I feel the vocal overpowers the instrumental performance. Would suggest more mix balance to help strengthen dynamics.."

I like the song, but agree with the screener. The vocal overpower the music. Some mix adjustments and you are in business.

Jeff