"Roses For No Reason"- Demo in Peer to Peer

Want your lyics reviewed? Post 'em up!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bucyboy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

"Roses For No Reason"- Demo in Peer to Peer

Post by bucyboy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:56 pm

Since attending the Nashville seminar I've been working on some of my story songs. I thought I'd post this one and get some feed-back. I'm still playing with some of the lines, but I think it's close enough for some input.BucThere is a link to the demo under peer to peer"ROSES FOR NO REASON" by Mark "Buc" Williams (copyright 2009, ASCAP)(V1)Ole' Duke and I took a ride to the local flower storeSaturday my wife turns 30, don't know what to get her anymoreWhile shoppin' for Patti I saw my daddy, said whatcha doin' here He said oh hi son, I come by here, mmm five-six times a year(V2)I said it's not mama's birthday or your anniversaryAnd I can't for the life of me think what else it could beHe said no son, it's not like that, see I used to be like youBut after all these years of married life, I've learned a thing or two(Chorus 1)She lovesThe cool breeze of a north wind On a warm summers dayPlayground slides and pony ridesNew brides with old bouquetsFedora hats and calico catsBlueberries out of seasonBut what she loves the most isRoses for no reason(V3)Well I looked at him, said daddy, I'm so impressed with youAppears, after all these years, I can still learn a thing or two He smiled at me and said son, I can see it in your eyes You thought you knew your mama, but you never realized(Chorus 2)She lovesScrapbooks filled with memoriesAnd old photo's from the pastHomemade lemonadeAnd the smell of fresh cut grassYellow labs and steamed blue crabsHot chocolate when it's freezin'But what she loves the most is Roses for no reason(Bridge)I said I wish I knew my wife as well as you know yoursHe said you will in time son there's one way to be sure(Chorus 3)You canSee what she likes on a moonlit' nightWhen your sittin' all alonePay attention to what she mentionsWhen you're talkin' on the phoneAnd for those times in lifeWhen it seems there'll be no pleasin' You know that'd be a good time forRoses for no reasonshort rideChorus 1 - fade out

ontariolightning
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Country story song- "Roses For No Reason"

Post by ontariolightning » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:56 pm

this is actually kind of good and sweet.. the shore and your rhyme made me cringethat is what I would change if I were you, this could actually turn out very pleasing, it's an idea that women would love, "roses for no reason" is an awesome hook and you supported it as well as any professional songwriter would, you have my go ahead to musicfy it!

bucyboy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by bucyboy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:28 am

Thanks for the feedback! I'm not sure what you meant by "the shore and my rhyme that made you cringe". Are you talking about the bridge? I want to make sure I have all the bugs out before I demo it. Thanks again Ontario!BucPS- I changed my opening line from "The Dog and I took a ride" to "Ole' Duke and I took a ride"

wordwoman
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by wordwoman » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:40 am

Buc...unless I don't know a thing about great songwriting after all these years....this one is outstanding....loved every inch of it. And I'd leave Ole' Duke in the beginning there....I can see his head hangin' out the truck window. This one here feels like it'd go classic if you can sell it......Would I demo it? In a heartbeat.Every woman would love it and also all those SENSITIVE guys out there....and there are some...HA (as is evidenced here in your fine writing).Jan Hopkins BMI

bucyboy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by bucyboy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:48 am

Wow...thanks Jan. Anything in the lyric bother you? I'm going to demo it very soon along with a couple others. Thanks a lot for your feedback!Buc

wordwoman
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by wordwoman » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:24 am

No problem Buc....I just call 'em as I see 'em. Good luck with the demo. Who will be doing the demo and the vocals?I just read it over a couple more times....and I wouldn't change a thing. It's gonna go pretty up-tempo....at least that's how I read and hear it. Think Craig Morgan on this.Nice, nice piece of storytelling....how long have you been writing?Jan

wordwoman
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by wordwoman » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:33 am

I just googled you and then went to your soundclick and listened to If I Had Money. Dang boy, that one rocks. I'd buy that one right now.Awesome demo on that one....who did that one?Jan

bucyboy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by bucyboy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:32 am

Thanks again Jan. I had Gary Carter demo "If I Had Money". I'm going to have him also demo "Roses For No Reason". I have also used Omni Studio's in the past. I have recorded at a half a dozen different studio's and I'm real happy with Gary. He and I know some of the same musicians from years ago. I began writing when I was still in high school, but really got into it when I moved to Nashville in 1983. I had commuted to Nashville for several years prior to that making records there. I did my first single with DJ Fontana who was Elvis' drummer and with the Sons of the Pioneers. I had to move back to upstate NY in 1989 for family reasons. I still go back and forth to Nashville, but not like I use to. I hope to move back there and write full time someday before I die. Yes, I do plan on making "Roses For No Reason" an up-tempo song. Somewhere in the middle. I gave ML a copy of "If I Had Money", but don't know if he had a chance to listen to it. He had a lot to deal with that day. The reviews I have had from Taxi is love the lyric, but needs more chord changes. Personally, I like it as a simple toe tappin' boogie, but maybe I'll consider making some changes.Thanks again for your review and reply.Buc

scottyrock
Impressive
Impressive

Post by scottyrock » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:36 am

bucgreat title and idea for a song.this one goes on my "wish I had thought of that" list. ladies will love this one. couple of things though. you might want to change the song structure from verse/chorus to a/a/b/a where the payoff comes at the END of the verse a' la lonestar singing "my front porch looking in" because to me "roses for no reason "is the emotional high of the song and to wait thru a verse AND a chorus to get to it seems too long.also ,as it is written in verse /chorus form it would probably be real hard to place ,having 3 different choruses. too much for the listener to remember even though they are all good. I would pick the absolute BEST lines from the three choruses and combine them to make one great one and then change only the last two lines each time to accomodate the lines with freezin ,season etc. just my 2 cents worth. whatever it takes you GOT to make this one work . it has the potential to be killer!!scott

bucyboy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by bucyboy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:52 am

Hi Scott. You make some very good and interesting points. I had actually thought about the comment you made about the chorus's being all different, but I hadn't considered the a/a/b/a structure. I'm going to play around with that and see if I like it. Thanks for your input, it's much appreciated!Buc