Sounds too fake

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Sounds too fake

Post by elser » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:44 pm

Just wanted to bounce this off a few others. I got returned for this listing because it sounds too fake;

30 SECOND LATIN INSTRUMENTALS (In All Styles) needed by a Music Supervisor working for a former VP of A&R at various labels who is currently producing a very exciting television show based on the familiar and popular Spanish Telenovela format. Unlike most Telenovelas, the series will not end at a predetermined point and for the first time will be offered in both English and Spanish-Language formats, which are not dubbed. The new series centers on the trials and tribulations of the families who live, work, and love in a fast growing city. Currently they are looking for many Hispanic/Latin based Instrumental cues for possible placement. Instrumental demo presentation must be top-notch! Please submit one to three 30 second Instrumentals online or per CD, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI - and must be received no later than 2:00 PM (PST), on Thursday, November 18, 2010. TAXI #D101118LI

What's curious to me is that I played real guitars, bass, and organ and the drums are real loops by Michael Shrieve and Luis Conte. Maybe you guys can hear something I'm missing or maybe I should challenge it.

Thanks for your help, the song is "Samba Rock" on my homepage.

http://taxi.com/jon-esler

fret17
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Sounds too fake

Post by fret17 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:57 pm

Dang Jon....That sounded great to me...Maybe what they thought sounded fake was the composition itself and not the instrumentation...but that would be hard to believe since it sounded Santana to me and it don't get much more latin than that...I'd ask what they mean and if you can fix it..a second chance at it....(Do they even give second chances?)

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:29 pm

Thanks Tom, if enough people agree I'll just call and ask for second listen. Thanks for the feedback.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:52 pm

Well Jon, if you told me you used all samples I could believe that also. I don't hear any "live" artifacts. All the discussion recently about real instruments and sounding midi makes you wonder if someone that records their real instruments really well might be mistaken for samples.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:11 pm

Len911 wrote:Well Jon, if you told me you used all samples I could believe that also. I don't hear any "live" artifacts. All the discussion recently about real instruments and sounding midi makes you wonder if someone that records their real instruments really well might be mistaken for samples.
Interesting, actually if you listen closely to the bass on the first time through the melody you can hear a faint finger squeek when I move down to the F and back up. Funny thing is there's only 2 edits on the lead guitar and maybe one on the bass except for fading the reverb tails at the end of the track.

Thanks for listening.

rnrmachine
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rnrmachine » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:23 pm

Hey Jon,

When the song came in I laughed to myself... this don't sound fake to me... /shrug... Short? yes... fake? no (I realize it asked for a 30sec deal after I started listening then reading)

I hear worse on TV everyday and I watch it everyday. :lol: Now they did ask for "Top Notch" so perhaps you JUST missed the bar on it?.. maybe?

Good luck in the future,

Rob
http://www.taxi.com/johnsteskal
Sonar X1 PE Expanded on a Windows 7 64bit system.
Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Thermaltake PSU 500watts can run 5 SATA
Asus P5QL PRO Mboard with 4GB of Ram
Radeon X1650 512MB Ram
WD Blue HDrives. OS, Sample, Audio.

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:40 pm

Hey Rob, ya I would understand if that were the critique, something like "Poor music" or "Poor recording quality" or "Poorly played". But "too fake" doesn't make sense to me. And if it's not that good then it shouldn't be forwarded. I'm just trying to understand the 'fake' thing.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:46 pm

Hey Jon,

The only thing I can figure is that maybe the percussion sounded too "looped" to the screener? I'm not hearing that and in fact, I went back and listened again and I noticed that the triangle comes in on the second statement of the melody and that, to me, really adds a nice realism and build to the piece.

The other thing that came to mind is that maybe it's the way the percussion is mixed? I'm listening on headphones that kind of hype the bass a bit so I can't make a good call on that but maybe the percussion stuck out in a way that caught the screeners ear in a way that made them think it sounded fake.

This one has me stumped. I'd make a call or e-mail Robin, the head screener.

Scratching my head!

Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:44 pm

Thanks Mazz, I agree on the percussion although I doubt there are many submissions coming in with live percussion recorded in the studio. I've sent it to Robin and if she passes on it so be it but I think it's worth pursuing.

Thanks for chiming in.

jonathanm
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonathanm » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:09 pm

Sounds pretty fine to me. Maybe it is the percussion, because the current mix is pretty upfront with it. Perhaps take just a bit of highs off the percussion to push it back into the room a bit. But, man, it's pretty nice as is.
"Everyone always misquotes me." - Frederick Q. Larson