30 to 60 seconds?

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sethlit
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

30 to 60 seconds?

Post by sethlit » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:57 am

What are your thoughts on editing the same song to both 30 sec and 60 sec cues and submitting them as two different tracks. Should I avoid that?

30 to 60 SECOND ROCK TYPE INSTRUMENTAL CUES a la shows similar to Access Hollywood, etc., needed by a Full Service Music Publishing Company with a solid relationship to a Major Network for use in multiple shows! They said, and we quote: "The network uses over 100 cues per day, 5 days a week, so the possibility of much of this material (from TAXI) being used is VERY HIGH." This company offers an exclusive deal. Broadcast quality needed (excellent home recordings are okay). Please submit one to three instrumentals online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS ONLY - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI - and must be received no later than 2:00PM (PST) on Wednesday, March 16, 2011. TAXI #D110316RC
Seth Littlefield
http://www.SethLittlefield.com
My Taxi Page

Image Image Image

"We seek not rest but transformation.
We are dancing through each other as doorways."
-Marge Piercy

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: 30 to 60 seconds?

Post by Casey H » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:27 am

sethlit wrote:What are your thoughts on editing the same song to both 30 sec and 60 sec cues and submitting them as two different tracks. Should I avoid that?

30 to 60 SECOND ROCK TYPE INSTRUMENTAL CUES a la shows similar to Access Hollywood, etc., needed by a Full Service Music Publishing Company with a solid relationship to a Major Network for use in multiple shows! They said, and we quote: "The network uses over 100 cues per day, 5 days a week, so the possibility of much of this material (from TAXI) being used is VERY HIGH." This company offers an exclusive deal. Broadcast quality needed (excellent home recordings are okay). Please submit one to three instrumentals online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS ONLY - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI - and must be received no later than 2:00PM (PST) on Wednesday, March 16, 2011. TAXI #D110316RC
One thing you may want to clarify with Taxi is do they really mean 30 TO 60 seconds or 30 OR 60 seconds?

Assuming they mean the cues are in the RANGE of 30-60 (which I will assume they are), it might not pay to submit the same track as both 30 and 60 since you could submit one 60 second piece from the track. However, if you have sections that are significantly different enough, submitting both might be a good idea.

The listing is less challenging as far as editing if they mean a time range because making exactly 30 or 60 second cues from an existing track that wasn't planned for that can result in clunky beginnings or endings.

Pieces with hard endings (e.g. stinger or button endings) are often more desirable. So one trick you can use to make your edits is take a track that has a hard ending and work BACKWARDS from the end to a logical place 30-60 seconds earlier.

Good luck!

:) Casey

sethlit
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sethlit » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:13 am

Casey-
Thanks! :D I learn something new here every day. I guess I was ASSuming they wanted an exact 30 or 60 sec cue. My new mantra: Read each listing I consider submitting to a minimum of 10 times...DAILY! ;)

Great editing tip too, I appreciate it. I'm going to try it out.

You know you're addicted when: it's finally a sunny day in Seattle, and you find yourself editing 30 to 60 sec cues all day. :lol:

Seth
Seth Littlefield
http://www.SethLittlefield.com
My Taxi Page

Image Image Image

"We seek not rest but transformation.
We are dancing through each other as doorways."
-Marge Piercy

eliotpister1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by eliotpister1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:56 pm

I like your tip, Casey. Working backwards from the ending to find your edit point is a good idea when making alt edits.

Cheers, Eliot
Taxi Member since 2004...
http://www.greengatemedia.com