Fatso anyone?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sethlit
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Fatso anyone?

Post by sethlit » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:04 pm

So as an amazingly awesome promotion, I got a UAD2 solo card + accelerator package for free with the purchase of the 710 Twin-Finity preamp (which is killer by the way). I'm currently saving up for some more plugins. Has anyone had any experience with the Fatso Jr/Sr tape simulator plug?? It's a little pricey (considering I just paid taxes and all :) ) but I love what I've been hearing thus far. I'd love to get any feedback from you guys before making any rash decisions ;) Thanks,

Seth
Seth Littlefield
http://www.SethLittlefield.com
My Taxi Page

Image Image Image

"We seek not rest but transformation.
We are dancing through each other as doorways."
-Marge Piercy

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Fatso anyone?

Post by ernstinen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:26 pm

sethlit wrote:So as an amazingly awesome promotion, I got a UAD2 solo card + accelerator package for free with the purchase of the 710 Twin-Finity preamp (which is killer by the way). I'm currently saving up for some more plugins. Has anyone had any experience with the Fatso Jr/Sr tape simulator plug?? It's a little pricey (considering I just paid taxes and all :) ) but I love what I've been hearing thus far. I'd love to get any feedback from you guys before making any rash decisions ;) Thanks,

Seth
Hey Seth! I was a proud owner of of a Fatso Jr. rackmount to mix through. Great, great piece of gear. Unfortunately, for financial reasons, I had to part with it. Wish I still had it.

Never heard the plugin, but I'm sure it's similar. --- I bought the Fatso Jr. as an alternative to buying a 1/2" reel-to-reel half track to mix to. As an old analog guy, I wanted that analog warmth from my digital mixes. As you probably know, it simulates tape to a great degree, and even different classic board preamps like the Neve. Tweaking the compression etc. is a spiritual experience!

HTH,

Ern 8-) :)

sethlit
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sethlit » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:22 pm

Ern- Thanks for the reply. I could definitely use a spiritual experience! :D Yeah, from what I've been reading, the plugin does a great job at simulating the real deal. I have had the pleasure of recording drums to tape a few times and I've wished to get close somehow in the digital realm. Or to at least have some better options with my drum tracks. I didn't know it could emulate some of the classic board preamps. I've got to get me hands on that plugin!

I could only imagine how it would be having the real thing though....one day....one day.... :cry:

Seth
Seth Littlefield
My Taxi Page

Image Image Image

-Marge Piercy

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:07 am

It looks like they also have a Studer plugin. It doesn't come with a compressor, but doesn't tape compress anyway, oh dear, they also have neve, fairchild, teletronix, ssl, compressors, tough decisions :twisted:
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:16 am

Yeah the Studer plug is pretty awesome, too, but you'll definitely find uses for a Fatso, particularly if you don't already have a good de-digitizing/tapesim plug. (there are lots of tapesim plugs, but not lots of good ones) It's a tad limited as a compressor, Empirical Labs' other hit processor, the EL8 Distressor is the chameleon of the family, but a bit tougher to dial in. The UBK Fatso is both flexible AND easy to use/set up, but I think it's hardware only.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

sethlit
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sethlit » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:42 pm

So many UAD plugs, so little time. Oh man...for some reason, I skipped over the Studer. :shock: Now the decision becomes even harder. It sure would be nice to save up for the Studer and do the tape thing right. I need to go research, hopefully hearing some comparisons. I imagine, I'd mainly be using the tape plugin on a drum mix bus...just to give it some analog flavor. Of course, I'd love to try it on vocals too.

Oh wait, after reading that Jeff Buckley (a personal hero of mine) was recorded using the Studer, maybe I now need to save a little more ;)

Seth
Seth Littlefield
My Taxi Page

Image Image Image

-Marge Piercy

sethlit
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sethlit » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:49 pm

Duh. It just occurred to me, I can try out UAD plugs for 14 days free. I'm, downloading as I type. :)
Seth Littlefield
My Taxi Page

Image Image Image

-Marge Piercy

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:13 pm

I get lots of good mileage out of my UAD SSL channel strip and bus compressor, LA-2A, Pultec Pro, Fairchild and 1176. Those and the EMT140 Plate are my "go to" plugs that get used on almost every mix in some form or another. They have a nice analog vibe to them. Someone commented on one of my recent mixes that it sounded like tape, even though I hadn't used any of the tape simulators. I attribute that to the aforementioned plugins and maybe a little bit that I have a good memory of what tape sounds like and my ears gravitate towards that sound anyway when I'm mixing.

On the effect side of things, I really like the Roland stuff. The tape echo and chorus are great and the Dimension D is just a classic. I worked with a guy that had one in the 80s and I wish I could have bought it from him when he sold off his gear.

I too am lusting after the Studer but I'll wait for a sale. After these plugs have been out for a while, they tend to give some modest discounts, particularly around holidays. It's worth waiting.

The UAD is a really great investment, IMO. Those sounds really never go out of style.

Have fun shopping!! 8-)

Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

sethlit
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sethlit » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:36 pm

Mazz-

I was thinking the same thing about waiting until there's a discount. Right now, there are some smaller discounts on their mastering plugs (precision). Right now I currently have the 1176, CS-1, LA2A, Pultec EQP-1A, and the RealVerb-Pro. They all came with the UAD-2 promo. I'd love to get that SSL bundle. But to tell you the truth, I think my first purchase will be the Fairchild 670. It seems to be such a staple. Also, I feel like I haven't found great compression as of yet. Most likely, it's just that I haven't quite learned how to use compression yet :D For me, I feel that's my weakest point. It just doesn't ever seem to lock in perfectly. Just curious...would you suggest the Fairchild? Even if my compression skills are still in developing mode? It's really not all that pricey...especially compared to the Studer (of which I still plan on getting :D )

Seth
Seth Littlefield
My Taxi Page

Image Image Image

-Marge Piercy

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:44 pm

This may be a little off-topic, but I know many engineers still use 1-2 analog channel strips like Neve, SSL etc. as preamps. After wading through the mud of ProTools preamps, I finally dragged out my old Soundcraft 1-S board (and I mean OLD!). I've been running vocal mics into it, and wow what a difference! That classic "British EQ" just clears everything up.

I know Mazz is finished with analog, but it does have some uses; can I be a witness!?

If I had the $$ and could find a great Studer 1/2" or 1" reel-to-reel, I'd buy it in a second! Some of my favorite analog recordings were done on Studer 2" 16-tracks. Ya can't beat 'em for that meaty sound, especially for rock.

BTW, 2 of my favorite analog recordings, "Nevermind" by Nirvana and "Wildflowers" by Tom Petty were done on 2" 24-track recorders @ Sound City in Van Nuys, CA. Pure sound, no noise, and I don't think they even used noise reduction. The room is still in high regard to track drums, bass, & electric guitar. It's supposed to be a pit, but a good sounding pit! :lol:

Best,

Ern 8-) :)