We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Rock/orchestra for listing - Revisd w/ Cruciform solo

Post by kclements » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:22 pm

Hello again -

Here is my submission for the Rock/Orchestral trailer listing Y110627RK. There is still some tweaking to do. I wonder, are the drums too loud? Does the ending need to be a bit bigger?

As always, would love to hear your comments and critiques.

here's the link: http://snd.sc/jMugDz

Thanks
kc
Last edited by kclements on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: My first Rock/orchestra piece for listing Y110627RK

Post by kclements » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:26 pm

note: I noticed a little glitch at the end in the drums section that needs to be fixed -

cheers -
kc
kayle clements

singer1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by singer1 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:04 pm

Hey KC, I thought this piece started well enough, however I was waiting for the big drums to fill the voids. Good overall concept; horns were nice, but strings - violas, cellos, violins, need to be more articulate. They seem more synth. than real. Keep working it. I find that a re-visit does wonders. Peace, D.B.

... the only race we're in, is the human race...D.B.
www.taxi.com/davebradley

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:22 pm

Kayle,

Very well composed and executed as always. Was that a sampled guitar at 1:06? The attack sounded distinctly midi, if not. In terms of this genre you could think about the 1:04-1:06 breakdown being maybe longer and more developed. Just a thought. Great work.

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:32 pm

Thanks D.B. I will tweak some more tomorrow.

@Rob - Yes it is a sampled guitar. I like the sound/texture it adds, but I know that it sounds a bit fake. Any suggestions on how to help it sound more realistic - (other than hire a guitar player :)

Thanks -
kc
kayle clements

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:45 pm

kclements wrote:@Rob - Yes it is a sampled guitar. I like the sound/texture it adds, but I know that it sounds a bit fake. Any suggestions on how to help it sound more realistic - (other than hire a guitar player :)

Thanks -
kc
I've never worked with sampled guitar so I'm not sure but will take a guess. Will it respond to 'expression' like strings do? If so, use a convex curve on the attacks making each note a bit different. Roll them up with a fader. And/or double the guitar line, humanise them separately and use a different guitar sound on the second line. That's what I do on solo violins at least, might work on guitar too.

If it still doesn't sound great, do you have amp modelling software like Guitar Rig or Amplitube? If so, I can have a crack at the line, record it clean and you can add your preferred tone. I'd do it as a favour. :)

onelight24
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onelight24 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:28 pm

Hi KC, I enjoyed the listen of this well composed track!

I agree with Rob in that the guitar at 1:06 sounded not real! As for the composition itself, again well composed, however to me it feels somewhat timid in terms of the rock genre! Being a guitarist myself, I would like to hear more guitars pounding away hitting me in the gut or face. There was a piccolo run at 0:33, 34 & again at 0:50 that sounded as if it might need some work in terms of realism.

I enjoyed the build up to 1:06; the brass is very well done; I would like to hear the aggressiveness of the bows attacking the strings; I also expected a big hit at 1:07 to transition into something somewhat bigger in texture & sound!

Please do take these comments, with a grain of salt, as I am no expert in this genre. I am sharing intuitive observations as they hit me when I listened.

I also agree that some real guitar tracks would really uplift this track to what I believe your vision is of it.

I'm glad for you that Rob has offered to play in some tracks for you! I will second the offer!

Good luck with this track! :)

P.S you are in good hands with Rob's help!

Cheers,
Vincent!

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:43 pm

Cruciform wrote:
kclements wrote:@Rob - Yes it is a sampled guitar. I like the sound/texture it adds, but I know that it sounds a bit fake. Any suggestions on how to help it sound more realistic - (other than hire a guitar player :)

Thanks -
kc
I've never worked with sampled guitar so I'm not sure but will take a guess. Will it respond to 'expression' like strings do? If so, use a convex curve on the attacks making each note a bit different. Roll them up with a fader. And/or double the guitar line, humanise them separately and use a different guitar sound on the second line. That's what I do on solo violins at least, might work on guitar too.

If it still doesn't sound great, do you have amp modelling software like Guitar Rig or Amplitube? If so, I can have a crack at the line, record it clean and you can add your preferred tone. I'd do it as a favour. :)
Thanks Rob. I do have amp modeling software - in fact I'm using it on the track for the midi guitar. I will give your suggestions a try. I haven't done enough midi guitar stuff to know how it responds.

If you want to take a stab at the gtr solo - by all means. That would be cool.

Thanks
kc
kayle clements

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:25 pm

Bollocks. I see your deadline is today. I can't get to it in time, but I'm still happy to take a crack at it anyway.

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:02 pm

Cruciform wrote:Bollocks. I see your deadline is today. I can't get to it in time, but I'm still happy to take a crack at it anyway.

Actually, my deadline is tomorrow! As you are half a world away, our times are different. But, that's ok. no rush. When you get the urge and would like to play it, I can always just add it in. I will work on trying to see if I can get the Midi Geetar to sound more realistic. It's actually a good reason to learn more about my production tools and sharpen my chops a bit.

cheers -
kc
kayle clements