96 lines of payments on my last ASCAP...ALL TAXI

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

deankripp
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: 96 lines of payments on my last ASCAP...ALL TAXI

Post by deankripp » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:31 am

Hey Bruce,

I'm not exactly sure how long it took me to get my first forward. I've been a member for over 10 years now - but that membership has really been divided into two parts. "Songs for artists" and "tracks for libraries..."

The first five or six years I only pitched vocal/songs to listings for artists... If I recall correctly, I had a couple forwards within the first year - but these were songs that had been recorded at a major studio with A list players and producers (IE - not stuff I recorded at home)... It took me a while longer to get my home recording chops up (and to write better songs) to the point where I started getting that new stuff forwarded.

The last five years or so I've focused a lot more on film and tv listings... but because I had my recording and writing chops going pretty good - the forwards came faster. During this period I pitched a lot of stuff to both artist listings and to Film and TV listings... A LOT of stuff... I recently told someone that I had over 300 forwards during this time - they were flabbergasted... to which I replied "yeah, but I've had over one-thousand returns." Yup, I pitched a lot of stuff - to a LOT of listings ;-)

I now have more deals and opportunities with library/publishers (thanks to taxi) than I can possibly fulfill and am having to carefully discern which are -or will be - the best "fit" for the types of music that I do well for both myself and the publisher(s).

and... as of this last year I have started going hard at writing vocal/songs in a very deliberate way again - submitting to artist listings that come up... most of these are pretty high-bar and specific about what they want - listings ...i think right now I'm getting forwarded about 20% - 25% of the time...

The main thing - I think - is to keep writing, keep recording, listen to the critiques, apply the advice, write, record, submit, and then let it go... go to the road rally, attend the workshops, network with the people.... do all of that again... raise the bar on yourself... and keep plugging away - getting better...

I am convinced that if I keep practicing, learning and growing in both music and the music business - and keep a positive and professional attitude, good things will happen for me - and for anyone who is willing to work their butt off... (geeze, I sound like my friggin father ;-)

I am now babbling... I'd better stop

did Casey say something about blood?

;-)

dean k

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:57 pm

Deano,

Thank you for always remembering to let us know about your successes. 96 lines, wow! You are always one of those folks who inspire me on the days when I wonder why I work so many hours. :D You're such a great example of how the right attitude and work ethic bring success. The laws of attraction at work!

Congratulations,
Michael

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:28 am

Wow, wow, wow, WOW 20%+ on the high bar listings!!! 8-)

Dean, you are truly an inspiration to us all!

I'd like to ask you, how many of your projects are collaborations, and how many are DIY?
Are you gigging also?
Ceo of my own life

deankripp
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by deankripp » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:54 pm

....thank YOU!!!! ML :-)

....Magne - thanks...

almost all of my instrumental tracks (Film/TV/Muzak) - like, about 99% of them are written by myself and recorded in my house (using Nuendo on a PC)...

as for the vocal songs... I write about 50% myself and the other 50% with collaborators... And although I'm not sure of the production breakdown, it is probably 60% recorded in my studio and 40% recorded in my co-writers studio(s)...

My gigging life has quieted down substantially in the last 5 - 10 years. I used to do 250+ nights per year and now I only play one night per week. The self imposed downturn in my live gigging is really an energy thing. I love to play live but it takes sooooooooo much energy and I began to believe (5 to 10 years ago) that my future energies belonged in the studio.

As a side note, I am going to make an effort in the coming years to get out with a small group of jazz cats and swing a bit every month... just to feed my skiddilydoopbapashoowah soul ;-)

deano k

keithl
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by keithl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:48 pm

deankripp wrote:...
just to feed my skiddilydoopbapashoowah soul ;-)
almost did a spitake with my glass of water on that one!

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:29 am

deankripp wrote:... just to feed my skiddilydoopbapashoowah soul ;-)
deano k
I know that feeling! 8-)
Ceo of my own life

pboss
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by pboss » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:36 am

You're the man. And thanks for the "write, submit, forget, drink beer, repeat" reminder ;~/
Patty Boss composes music for NBC, CBS, CNN, Fox, Bravo, MTV, VH1, etc.

http://soundcloud.com/pattyboss
http://pattyboss.com

LoDrop
Active
Active

Post by LoDrop » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:46 am

very inspiring dean, congrats!

looking forward to my first road rally...

peace
Al

deankripp
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by deankripp » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:01 am

thanks Lo-D

see ya in the Rally Hotel Lobby

:-)

dean k

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:22 am

You rock, Dean! 8-) 8-)

You definitely are an inspiration to everyone!

And don't be so shy about expressing yourself on Facebook! :D ;)

See you soon!!

:) Casey