Is this song right for this Dispatch listing D110805IN

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

shellsings
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Is this song right for this Dispatch listing D110805IN

Post by shellsings » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:51 am

Hi, I chopped and faded out an instrumental version of my song Normalcy &Rhythm. Its on my taxi page (Normalcy and Rhythm-clipped) I was wondering if it is right or almost right for this listing. Doesn't have the exact instruments they mention and not as uptempo as they may want (so maybe I answered by own question here, but need others to shoot it down too :) )

thanks

Major NY Ad Agency URGENTLY needs a SIMPLE, UNIQUE INSTRUMENTAL TRACK for a National TV Spot for a HUGE Dental Hygiene Brand. They're looking for a "lifestyle" track that's light, airy, uptempo, and has a feel good vibe. One to three instruments should do the trick for this--acoustic guitar with ukulele, acoustic guitar with a Rhodes, ukulele with a few little bell hits or a marimba... you know the drill! Quoting NY here: "The track should have a certain spirit to it. Fun, but not "funny." Important, but not too serious. Stylish and hip, but not too cool for school. Make it positive and aspirational." Have some fun with this one, and make sure to NOT make it too scientific or medical sounding. TAXI Tip: Watch some YouTube videos of commercials for dental products and pharmaceuticals to get some ideas for tempo, feel and general tone. Tracks should be 30 seconds to 2 minutes in length, buttoned or faded endings are both okay to submit for this. ESTIMATED pay is $10,000-$15,000. Broadcast Quality is needed (excellent home recordings are fine). You must own or control 100% of the Master and Composition rights. If you ARE chosen, the AD AGENCY will contact you DIRECTLY and you'll KEEP 100% of the income from this license--NO Publisher Splits. Please submit one to three TRACKS online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS. NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than Friday, August 5th at 5pm (PDT). TAXI# D110805IN

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Is this song right for this Dispatch listing D110805IN

Post by Russell Landwehr » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:09 pm

Well, Michelle, It's light and airy and the Jimmy Buffet/Kenny Chesney style makes ME feel good. The only thing is, there may be too many instruments in it. Hard to guess if the 1-3 instruments suggestion is from the client or TAXI's interpretation. I didn't see anything in the listing about drums (or bass.) The drums adding to the feel could push this into a forward, or the prominance of the drums could get you a return... (someone needs to make a VST plug-in where you can translate the posting's requirements into settings and it morphs the song into a screener-pleasing arraingment eh?)
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

shellsings
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by shellsings » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:47 pm

Hey Russell, thanks. Yeah, it is subject to interpretation sometimes, however I have heard that we should try to match the description as close as possible... it is only 5 bucks.... and it does match some of the description.... doesn't hurt I guess...

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:23 pm

Hey Shell
It's in the ballpark but I'm not sure if it has too much instrumentation, particularly the heavy drums.

This is one reason I always get my stems (alt. mixes techincally) from my demo folks. You can get them from NDS for a small additional fee. For example, if you had a mix without drums and the drum track itself, you could re-mix either w/o drums are with the drums at a lower level.

If you decide to get alt mixes, make sure it's clear that you want mix downs with the same mastering as the final mix. A typical set would be:

All drums
Bass
Electric rhythm guitars
Acoustic rhythm guitars
Each lead guitar track
Other instruments by themselves such as keys

I can't say it's worth you going through that much trouble for THIS lead, though it's good to have these tracks, in general. Let me know if you need any help.

Best,
Casey

shellsings
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by shellsings » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:16 am

Thanks Casey! I will inquire about getting those files