Who are doing topline writing?

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AmandaJane
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Who are doing topline writing?

Post by AmandaJane » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:42 am

I am primarily a lyricist, who occasionally writes a bit of melody too.

I love writing lyrics to someone else's music... I find it far easier than writing lyrics first, before the music is added by someone else. And being a lyricist, I have to work with other people... and work in many many different ways and processes - it's all good, whatever works is cool :)

So if I just add lyrics to other people's music, that's not what is called 'topline' then is it... unless I add the melody too.
What do they call someone who just adds the lyrics ? Useless ? !!!!

I'm not very experienced, but if anyone wants words, I have loads to spare and am willing to share :)

Amanda
Sláinte, Amanda

Amanda Jane West - Lyricist | SoundCloud | My Website |

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:16 am

Haha, not useless, just a lyricist. Why can't you add melody? You can say the words, right, and I'll bet you sing in the bath or hum a tune once in a while? Maybe that's next step in order to reach "topliner" status for you, Amanda? :D
Ceo of my own life

AmandaJane
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AmandaJane » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:00 am

Hmmmm that's true ! I can also play basic piano/keyboard, so can etch out melody that way too !

Thank you Mr/Ms Songcabinet ! I am now a Topliner !!!!

:geek:
Sláinte, Amanda

Amanda Jane West - Lyricist | SoundCloud | My Website |

rdance
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rdance » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:09 am

interesting thread magne. glad you did this.

songs with lyrics for me usually start with a lyrical hook that can come from anywhere: true story, something someone said, popped into my head for no reason, etc.

the last two that turned into full songs for me were "strong bird" and "ain't that nuthin".

then i think about what kind of groove best suits the lyrical hook, go thru whatever musical hooks i have saved on my phone (no shortage there). then write the full music/lyrics...either might come first.

i guess we all just follow where the muses lead...and the song writes itself.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:56 pm

AmandaJane wrote:Hmmmm that's true ! I can also play basic piano/keyboard, so can etch out melody that way too !

Thank you Mr/Ms Songcabinet ! I am now a Topliner !!!!

:geek:
Gotta say that's the fastest rise to the top(line) I've ever seen, Amanda. Awesome! :D
Ceo of my own life

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:04 pm

rdance wrote:interesting thread magne. glad you did this.

songs with lyrics for me usually start with a lyrical hook that can come from anywhere: true story, something someone said, popped into my head for no reason, etc.

the last two that turned into full songs for me were "strong bird" and "ain't that nuthin".

then i think about what kind of groove best suits the lyrical hook, go thru whatever musical hooks i have saved on my phone (no shortage there). then write the full music/lyrics...either might come first.

i guess we all just follow where the muses lead...and the song writes itself.
Oh yeah, grooves are important! Sometimes I forget, so I have a note just below my screen that says "Groove!" just to remind me :roll: Crazy, I know, but I have a way of forgetting the most obvious things.

I often get in a songwriting mood while listening to music. I often write lyrics first, but I need that song that got me in the mood, so that's on repeat the whole time when I write the lyric :oops:

For me, the ones I write with lyrics first, turns out the most dynamic melodies. The ones I write with music first often ends up more generic. I'm going to try babbling some melodies out soon, and then write lyrics afterwards. No music (to work around my generic tendencies), just babbling, lala'ing or something, and then lyrics, and first then music. Anything goes, and I'll make sure it does 8-)
Ceo of my own life

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:17 pm

Many ways to write . I guess its all in the composers style
Ronnie35
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

Skatzsinger

Post by Skatzsinger » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:38 pm

Like some of you I write in different ways. Sometimes the 'Nashville way' is my favourite, get the hook/title first and work on the chorus words, thinking about melody at the same time, then that leaves me thinking back to the start of the song and how to build to the chorus. Once I've got the chorus the mood is kinda set which tells me what options I have with the song form. All the time I'm letting the tune go around my head and riffing with it. Sounds a bit messy as I'm describing it, but it's got me results. Well, I'm only new on here and haven't proved myself by selling anything yet. Time will tell.

It's fun to come up with a guitar riff and play with it, and when I've got comfortable with it and in the groove I'll start to grab some words, any words, out of the ether to find a delicious melody, knowing the words will most likely change.

Sometimes I'll just listen to loads of random songs on You Tube in a general style until someone else's word or phrase inspires me on a train of thought, or a groove gets me reaching for a guitar. I don't copy what I've heard, just use it as a springboard to dive into the pool of inspiration. Then the tune changes, the chords change, the words take a different path and I end up with something completely new. It could be a dangerous, copyright strewn road if my mind didn't weaned off so willingly and end up on a whole new vibe, but I've found it a lot of fun and I also get to hear how other people are writing their songs and learn from it.

Thanks for sharing, everybody, I've been writing songs for about 35 years now but this is the first chance I've had to hear from loads of songwriters, some of you very successful I presume.
Luv and Peas
Andrew 'Skatz' Scattergood
Ireland, bottom left hand corner by the sea

Come and visit the studio and record
Special rates for Taxi members, accommodation too!
http://www.taxi.com/skatz