Taxi members hate modern music. True or False?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Taxi members hate modern music. True or False?

Post by DesireInspires » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:28 pm

Is modern music considered inferior?

I have noticed that many of you are seasoned musicians that have been making music for decades. I have also noticed a general reluctance from many of you to create modern music. What makes modern music so bad? Is it just too different? Does it make sense to you? 

I understand that the lyrics of modern may not be your slice of pie, but why not at least try to make modern instrumentals? Those get placed more often than dated pieces. Would you consider yourself to be a phony by writing modern music?

Tell the truth!

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Taxi members hate modern music. True or False?

Post by eeoo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:49 pm

What do you consider to be "modern music"? What you hear on the radio? What you hear on tv? If you're referring to hits you hear on the radio my reluctance would be that I know the odds of writing and having someone record a pop smash are stacked so heavily against me.

If your talking about film/tv instrumental music there are many, many Taxi members doing exclusively that.

I've not ever sensed an aversion to modern music at Taxi but once again, I don't know exactly what you mean by "modern music."

eo

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by crs7string » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:09 pm

DesireInspires wrote:Is modern music considered inferior?

I have noticed that many of you are seasoned musicians that have been making music for decades. I have also noticed a general reluctance from many of you to create modern music. What makes modern music so bad? Is it just too different? Does it make sense to you? 

I understand that the lyrics of modern may not be your slice of pie, but why not at least try to make modern instrumentals? Those get placed more often than dated pieces. Would you consider yourself to be a phony by writing modern music?

Tell the truth!
I am beginning to think you are a troll and a rabble rouser.

You continue to make statements of what you believe to be fact, with little to no knowledge of the type of music that is played at the listening sessions at the Rally, and/or the music being played nearly everyday on television that was produced by a TAXI member.

This will be my only post on this thread and I would encourage everyone else to let this thread die of natural causes due to inactivity.

If you are indeed a TAXI member, you do have the opportunity to ask for a full refund in the first year of membership. If you are not a TAXI member, why don't you go gather more friends on Facebook.

It gets very tiring trying to convince naysayers that success is possible with the assistance of TAXI.
There are too many people who have achieved success and have no need to be accountable to you.

Chuck. (off to listen to my music on tv later this evening)
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:15 pm

crs7string wrote:
DesireInspires wrote:Is modern music considered inferior?

Tell the truth!
I am beginning to think you are a troll and a rabble rouser.

You continue to make statements of what you believe to be fact, with little to no knowledge of the type of music that is played at the listening sessions at the Rally, and/or the music being played nearly everyday on television that was produced by a TAXI member.

This will be my only post on this thread and I would encourage everyone else to let this thread die of natural causes due to inactivity.

If you are indeed a TAXI member, you do have the opportunity to ask for a full refund in the first year of membership. If you are not a TAXI member, why don't you go gather more friends on Facebook.

It gets very tiring trying to convince naysayers that success is possible with the assistance of TAXI.
There are too many people who have achieved success and have no need to be accountable to you.

Chuck. (off to listen to my music on tv later this evening)

Relax, buddy. I am not here to start WWIII.

I have been listening to songs from different artists here. I have not heard too much modern sounding music. That isn't a bad thing. I am just curious as to why this is. Maybe music with a vintage sound gets forwarded to libraries in a greater share than modern cues. If anyone has links to modern music, please share them. I am always curious to hear great new music.

Kelil
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Kelil » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:37 pm

Interesting question OP. for me modern music is loops etc etc. or some sort of funky beats. But if I wanted to get all guru on you I would say that all fresh music written here is modern and current. its just whatever style takes your fancy. For example classical music is centuries old but people are always writing classical pieces on piano and so this style is always current and in demand.

The ''style'' I prefer is vintage as in I like to have everything in my songs to be real instruments rather than using loops and synths or fake cellos on a keyboard type thing. But I respect those who do use them and have been successful in doing so.

My primary mission is to acheive a record deal not film and tv and I cant imagine myself ever looking at a listing and writing specifically for that film/tv listing. I'm going for a general sound and would never consider writing music in the style or use of electronics/synths loops etc to do that. I only submit to a film/tv listing if I have a song that fits the listing or description or a song thats lyrics are universal.

So I think I know what YOU mean by modern. you mean the ''mass modern music'' of our time such as whats in the top charts at the moment? thats usually whats referred to as modern anyhow.

thanks for your post I enjoyed it.

Kelil.

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:49 pm

Kelil wrote:Interesting question OP. for me modern music is loops etc etc. or some sort of funky beats. But if I wanted to get all guru on you I would say that all fresh music written here is modern and current. its just whatever style takes your fancy. For example classical music is centuries old but people are always writing classical pieces on piano and so this style is always current and in demand.

The ''style'' I prefer is vintage as in I like to have everything in my songs to be real instruments rather than using loops and synths or fake cellos on a keyboard type thing. But I respect those who do use them and have been successful in doing so.

My primary mission is to acheive a record deal not film and tv and I cant imagine myself ever looking at a listing and writing specifically for that film/tv listing. I'm going for a general sound and would never consider writing music in the style or use of electronics/synths loops etc to do that. I only submit to a film/tv listing if I have a song that fits the listing or description or a song thats lyrics are universal.

So I think I know what YOU mean by modern. you mean the ''mass modern music'' of our time such as whats in the top charts at the moment? thats usually whats referred to as modern anyhow.

thanks for your post I enjoyed it.

Kelil.
Oh, that is cool.

My style is about the opposite of yours. I only use loops and electronic instruments. Furthermore, I only write music with the intention of having it placed in TV and film. I never really got into working with artists and I cannot sing. I have no clue on how to produce or even record vocals.

I like working with electronic instruments because my work flow goes faster. I can lay down a song, save it, and move right into another one. I am not out to be a producer. I just like writing music fast and experimenting. I even have a few apps on my phone that I have been toying with. I will eventually be able to make full songs on my phone once I master the apps. My main trouble is draining my battery!

Thanks for your response.

msltoe

Post by msltoe » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:44 pm

Hate is a pretty strong term. And the word "modern" is too fuzzy. But let's be specific, would I write a song for a listing where the "a-la" representatives are not the kind of music I enjoy? Probably not, because I can't compete with people who really love that genre and have studied it's inner workings. Fortunately, there are a few current mainstream music makers I do enjoy listening to. In addition, I'm hoping to create my own genre. It's a more risky venture, but with a bigger reward, perhaps, if it works.
-michael

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:01 pm

msltoe wrote:Hate is a pretty strong term. And the word "modern" is too fuzzy. But let's be specific, would I write a song for a listing where the "a-la" representatives are not the kind of music I enjoy? Probably not, because I can't compete with people who really love that genre and have studied it's inner workings. Fortunately, there are a few current mainstream music makers I do enjoy listening to. In addition, I'm hoping to create my own genre. It's a more risky venture, but with a bigger reward, perhaps, if it works.
-michael

Don't take this the wrong way, but you take this way too seriously!

1. Hate does not necessarily mean hate. Feel free to replace hate with dislike or some other term.

2. Modern is not a fuzzy term at all. Modern music is music that is currently charting on the Billboard charts, selling well on iTunes, and getting spins on the radio.

3. There is no such things as competition in the music industry, especially library music. Nobody wins a trophy or prize from getting music placements.

4. You do not need to study the inner workings of music to copy it. I am far from an expert and have no intentions of becoming one.

5. You should definitely put in work to create your own genre. But don't be afraid to copy from others either.

Last and most importantly, have fun!!! It's only music!!!

Mark Kaufman
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Mark Kaufman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:51 pm

Kasabian didn't sound inferior when I saw them last night at First Avenue!

I don't agree with your premise, but I suppose you're concluding it due to what you see on the Peer to Peer board. I think it might be better to draw conclusions from the listings instead, which are jam-packed with requests for a current sound.

A tiny percentage of TAXI members have anything to do with the forums, and that tiny percentage tends to be people who feel compelled to read and post regularly. Forums are for people who DO forums...but most people don't. They might do Facebook, but forums are really only attractive to a certain type of person.

I would also venture to say that the majority of the forum people are middle aged. Not all, but most. Chances are, middle aged musicians tend to write the way they learned to write...if we're wise, we resist the impulse to do that...but the impulse is still there. I'm working on a dubstep piece right now, but I always feel like defaulting to my early 70's rock and roll heart, because that's where I came from. I'm vintage. But I LOVE new music...I think the indie scene is currently in a renaissance era. Absolutely fantastic bands all over the place these days...and some of them, like Adele and Arcade Fire and Foster the People are busting into the mainstream. These are great days for new music.

But, yeah, I don't think you're aware of all the forwards and placements that completely bypass the attention of the forum.

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:34 pm

DesireInspires wrote:1. Hate does not necessarily mean hate. Feel free to replace hate with dislike or some other term.

2. Modern is not a fuzzy term at all. Modern music is music that is currently charting on the Billboard charts, selling well on iTunes, and getting spins on the radio.

3. There is no such things as competition in the music industry, especially library music. Nobody wins a trophy or prize from getting music placements.

4. You do not need to study the inner workings of music to copy it. I am far from an expert and have no intentions of becoming one.

5. You should definitely put in work to create your own genre. But don't be afraid to copy from others either.

Last and most importantly, have fun!!! It's only music!!!
Huh? Hate doesn't mean hate? Modern means something that sells on i-tunes or charts? And why would anyone want to simply copy something? You're just trying to get a rise out of us right? Some kind of social experiment?

I do agree with the having fun part at least!

eo