Saving up for this guitar..

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Saving up for this guitar..

Post by cardell » Tue May 01, 2012 6:17 pm

manninghollow wrote:It's a beautiful guitar, but I'd rather play out of tune (ask the Taxi screeners :roll: ) Guitar are imperfect, that's what makes them perfect; but that auto tune stuff is impressive tech :geek: Let us know how it works when you get it.
Yes, I understand what you're saying Steve. All this effort to keep the guitar in tune (the modifications to the guitar) seems kinda silly in a way. :lol:

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

marcblack30
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by marcblack30 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:20 pm

I say save yourself $3000 and just tune your guitar. All this is really saving you is 20 seconds (or less) of tuning time, or am I missing something?
It is nice looking, but 3K for a tuner... no thanks! I have a Les Paul that cost me 2K hanging on my wall that I bought after high school (1990 Honeyburst Les Paul Custom) that hasn't been touched for many years... my go to guitar is a Squire Strat that I'm borrowing from my son, cost less than $200, and came with an amp :x If I had 3K to spend on guitars only, I'd buy a few (or many) cheaper guitars.
-- Marc Blackwell

rnrmachine
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rnrmachine » Wed May 02, 2012 10:46 am

If you are tuning your guitar all the time... don't ya think ya need a better guitar period? Sure new strings are pretty rough at first, but on a quality instrument it's not a long wait until the instrument holds a good tuning, once the strings get settled. Another thing, make sure your intonation is good. If ya don't know how to do that get a pro to do it for ya... or do some heavy reading until you understand fully.

I like to tune my guitar SLIGHTLY, BARELY flat, and only come (tighten) up into the proper note. Meaning I tighten until I am there. IF I over shoot. I drop it a lot and start again. This way all strings are in tune with a solid tension and NOT hanging in tune. Also, with it SLIGHTLY.. BARELY, just under the right note it's as simple as adding a little more pressure and or bend to gel right into the note. Makes for some sweet guitar work imho.

Anyway, if it works out to be as good as one would hope, be sure and let us know.

And forgive me IF everything I said is stuff ya already know...
marcblack30 wrote:I say save yourself $3000 and just tune your guitar. All this is really saving you is 20 seconds (or less) of tuning time, or am I missing something?
It is nice looking, but 3K for a tuner... no thanks! I have a Les Paul that cost me 2K hanging on my wall that I bought after high school (1990 Honeyburst Les Paul Custom) that hasn't been touched for many years... my go to guitar is a Squire Strat that I'm borrowing from my son, cost less than $200, and came with an amp :x If I had 3K to spend on guitars only, I'd buy a few (or many) cheaper guitars.
IF I had 3k to spend on a guitar? I'd probably do what you said and the left overs I'd buy an amp...

A $200 guitar going into a $3,000 amp will sounds TONS better then a $3,000 guitar going into a $200 amp.... no doubt about it.

Seriously, a lot of famous tones came from inexpensive guitars going into costly amps. Those famous fenders... they were CHEAP.

On a side note... ya might wanna yank that Les Paul off the wall and at least lay down some rhythm tracks with it. I think they have great rhythm tones... for harder rock anyway.
http://www.taxi.com/johnsteskal
Sonar X1 PE Expanded on a Windows 7 64bit system.
Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Thermaltake PSU 500watts can run 5 SATA
Asus P5QL PRO Mboard with 4GB of Ram
Radeon X1650 512MB Ram
WD Blue HDrives. OS, Sample, Audio.

fusilierb
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by fusilierb » Wed May 02, 2012 11:59 am

To be fair, the evertune hardware is only 330 bucks, plus a couple of hundred for installation. Which means he's really saving up for a nice Les Paul. Nothing wrong with that.

And the evertune is pretty impressive:

http://www.evertune.com/

Tuning is a pain, especially when you are recording and just want to grab a guitar, arm the track and go.

marcblack30
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by marcblack30 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:29 pm

fusilierb wrote:To be fair, the evertune hardware is only 330 bucks, plus a couple of hundred for installation. Which means he's really saving up for a nice Les Paul. Nothing wrong with that.

And the evertune is pretty impressive:

http://www.evertune.com/

Tuning is a pain, especially when you are recording and just want to grab a guitar, arm the track and go.
I see, I thought it was the geetar itself... I agree it is pretty cool, maybe I should get one for my Les Paul :) I think everyone should indulge and have cool toys, if you can afford it, I say go for it!
-- Marc Blackwell

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed May 02, 2012 12:53 pm

I'm saving up to hire my own full time roadie who will tune my guitar for me. ;)

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Thu May 03, 2012 10:57 pm

The Evertune bridge is pretty cool, and can save time and trouble; my opinion, it's worth the money, but not on an axe that has vintage appeal or historical significance. Maybe it doesn't affect the tone as much as I might imagine, but carving up a vintage piece will certainly affect the value, and nobody in their right mind wants that. (not that being in your right mind is any kind of requirement for being an artist) :D
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

orest
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by orest » Fri May 04, 2012 1:59 am

You won't get perfect pitch unless you have both EverTune and True Temperament.

I really love the sound of this guitar as well, that's the main reason why I'm buying it. They have other models as well which I don't like.

I don't have the money, but I will save up for this one. I have had 2 electric guitars and both of them have been painful to tune and especially get the correct pitch.

marcblack30
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by marcblack30 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:31 am

Nearly 3 years later, after this post, I decided to get myself on of these Evertune guitars for my studio! I did go with the least expensive VGS SkyCruiser VTC-100
Select 3TSB VG Tele model I decided I'd actually love to pick my guitar up and it be in tune no matter what chord, where on the neck I play, or how hard I strum. Really looking forward to receiving it... and not breaking the bank:)

Currently it's the 5th one down their site:
http://www.evertune.com/evertuned-guitars-for-sale-3/
-- Marc Blackwell

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:36 am

Very cool Marc, let us know how you like it!

In film/tv music, there's very little tolerance for out of tune instruments, as many are used to software with perfect pitch. And one small tuning issue can direct attention towards the music (where it should not be).

I don't have any trouble tuning my gtrs, though, but I am very attentive to it and do tune often.
I use the new tuners that picks up body resonance, as well as a tuner in the Eleven Rack.

I've found intonation can be an issue, but not after I've learned to set-up guitars myself.
In my experience with good quality gtrs it's often easier to get the intonation and action right, which means a lot to me when using the instrument often.

But those geetarz looks cool. Love the tele too!
Ceo of my own life