We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mikeymike2000
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Dramatic News Instrumental Cue

Post by mikeymike2000 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:27 pm

I hope I don't wear out my welcome on this page.... :lol:

Here is the listing: DRAMATIC NEWS INSTRUMENTAL CUES needed by a Film/TV Publisher for placement in News programs. THINK: shows such as 60 Minutes, 48 Hours, Extra, etc. They've placed music in shows on HBO, ABC, NBC, FX, the Discovery Channel, the Sundance Film Channel, and the Learning Channel, as well as in films The recommended length for these cues is :60 to 3:00. They asked us to be extra selective when screening for this project. This company offers a standard publishing contract, where they assume the publishing rights to the track and the composer keeps the writer's share of the income/royalties. License fees are split with the composer on a per-project basis. Broadcast quality needed [excellent home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three instrumentals online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than Thursday, August 2, 2012. TAXI # S120802IC

The song in question is "Jesse's Theme" http://www.taxi.com/mikejriso

The question is if this is the right listing for the song? It has been modified based on feedback from a previous listing and I think it is ready for prime time. Jesse's Theme was written to be the Main Theme for a News Show. So will this work for this listing or should I hold on to it for something more suitable? I am not sure what a "cue" really is... to me this is a theme song, or at least it should be. :D

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Dramatic News Instrumental Cue

Post by mazz » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:39 pm

Mike,

The piece could work as a theme but production-wise it's got a couple of issues, at least to my ears:

1. I can hear your bus compressor pumping your entire mix up and down. That's a total deal killer right there. You need to back way off on the compressor. You don't really need much, because the broadcasters will probably have their own compressors.

2. The ending has a slight fade on it. You really need to compose an ending for the piece, particularly if it's a theme. Most themes end with a button ending and often with a little build to the end.

HTH,

Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

mikeymike2000
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by mikeymike2000 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:46 pm

Thanks for checking it out Mazz!

I will work on a button ending and put up an updated one soon.

Also I am surprised you can tell there is a compressor and that you hear it going up and down. Granted I listened too many times in a row but I could not hear that. Will also have to see what you mean and tune my ears for production. :)

Just curious, what is "HTH"?

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:15 pm

Sorry, too much time on the internet: Hope This Helps!

Yes, that compressor is really pumping! Give your ears a rest and come back and listen to it.
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

ocean
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ocean » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:57 am

I can hear the compressor thingy too (patting my own back). :D
I like the track though. Three repeats of that "tada-da-da" is probably enough before you tie it all up at 0:38. And with if you marked those two last notes with the drum hits and breaks. (I really can't explain myself.... just hope you understand.) And the piano pattern sounds like it comes in too late at times(?)
Just my thoughts. And, as usual, one should probably not pay attention to them. :)
--- Ole
https://www.taxi.com/members/ocnilsen

Great work, people. Keep it up.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:48 am

Listen to the drums. They're driving your compressor nuts,lol! The cue itself sounds great!

Jesse's Theme reminds me of another news theme I think is fantastic! (I usually don't notice news themes for the most part unless they're great,lol) compare the drums

http://youtu.be/Zn5SCech8UU
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

pedrocosta
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by pedrocosta » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:05 am

I'd have to agree with the rest.
The drums are really crushing the rest of the mix via the master bus compressor.
It's so distracting I couldn't even pay attention to anything else. :(
Just my 2 cents.
Pedro Costa
Image Image Image

mikeymike2000
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by mikeymike2000 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:33 am

Ocean, Len and Pedro:

Thanks for the comments! I guess I am over compensating. When I sent this in the first time the drums were not nearly as loud and the screener said "the drums are anti climactic and that if there was a piano, horn and drum in a room how would win? " SO, I am trying to fix this aspect.

Also, the screener made mention that the piano sounded out of time in a few spots as well. I rechecked my notation and it is where I want it to be, a "syncopated" rhythm of sorts. Not sure how to fix this if everyone says it sounds off then it is off but I wanted it to be the way it is. :? - When I play on the beat I am told it sounds quantized... if I play freely and especially when I add rhythmic nuances I am told it sounds off. I respect the comment but there must be some middle ground to satisfy the listener and the artist :lol: so how do I find that middle ground?

pedrocosta
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by pedrocosta » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:40 am

You can still turn up the drums in the mix. Just turn down the amount of compression on the master bus. OR for that matter turn down the other elements, leave the drums as they are. This will give more headroom and likely the compressor will be ok. Hope this helps.
Pedro Costa
Image Image Image

mikeymike2000
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by mikeymike2000 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:53 am

pedrocosta wrote:You can still turn up the drums in the mix. Just turn down the amount of compression on the master bus. OR for that matter turn down the other elements, leave the drums as they are. This will give more headroom and likely the compressor will be ok. Hope this helps.
OK, these fancy things are new to me. If I am turning down the compressor does that mean I am going from ratio 4 to 2? Or does that mean I turn the "threshold" knob to a higher value dB value? Or both?

While I am at it, is it better to keep the volumes of the individual tracks at a near "0" level and adjust the faders on the mixer or keep the mixer faders at "0" and adjust the volume on the individual tracks? I think I have a hodge podge right now.