Make an Industry Connection or Get a Deal at Rally 2012?

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

admin
Site Admin

Make an Industry Connection or Get a Deal at Rally 2012?

Post by admin » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:44 pm

Okay, I admit that I get a little ticked off by all the people who come up to me at the Rally and say things like, "I got hooked up with a publisher (or music supervisor) 10 months ago, and now I'm a 'go-to' guy for him/them, and I've had X number of placements."

Invariably, when I ask them if they let us know about it, the answer is "Uh... nope." Ughhh! Better late than never I guess. But I can't write them down during the Rally because I'm really busy. They mostly go off into the ether.

Well, I also had far more people come up to me this year telling me they met an industry person, started a relationship, or actually got a deal at this year's Rally.... on the spot! We also had a remarkable number of panelists asking for copies of songs or tracks that got played on the Music Supervisor and Music Library listening panels this year. Many more than any other year!

I know that only a small percentage of our members are registered forum users and post here, but we'd sure like to hear from you if you got a deal this year (or any other year for that matter). PLEASE don't post the company or individual's name here though! Just say, "I got a deal offer from a great publishing company," or "A music supervisor took my music." Keep it generic so they don't get bombarded!

Post 'em up, and thank you!
Michael

thekman
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Make an Industry Connection or Get a Deal at Rally 2012?

Post by thekman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:23 pm

No official deals yet Michael, but I did receive an email by the time my flight landed from an awesome library asking for tracks, and another request from an additional and equally awesome library to check some more cues out!

Very exciting! :D

I thank you and your amazing staff so much for all your hard work and effort to make Taxi what it is all year round.

Thank you!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:38 pm

First, HUGE thank you to you and your entire staff for another fantastic experience! :mrgreen:

At one of the film/TV A&R listening panels, I was fortunate enough that my CD got randomly picked and they played a song I wrote with Paul Otten (peeyo) called "A Long Long Day".

The panel and audience loved it :D (Woooo Hoooo!) and one of the sups said she had a spot in a TV show she thought it would be a good fit for... She got a copy of it. Another panelist wanted it for his personal collection. At the end of the panel, I met some other folks near the stage. One very nice lady (not sure if she was a music sup or screener), said she also loved the song and has pitched it for 90210!

This was a pure result of (1) improving my writing due to Taxi and many of you (2) meeting and collaborating with the amazingly talented Paul Otten due to Taxi and (3) the Taxi Road Rally.

Thank you Taxi and Paul! Wish us luck!

:D Casey

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:56 pm

This was the quickest deal in Taxi history. :lol: I walked up to a group of Taxi people that I know who were all talking with a guy I'd never seen or met before. As I did, one of the members said to the guy "Oh, this is Dave, the one we were just talking about". The guy says "Great! Glad to have you on board. Here's my card, send me an email and we'll get you all set up". :shock: Turns out he's a guy with lots of Access to Hollywood. ;)

I want to say, by the way, that this is what I desperately wanted to happen my *first* Taxi Rally when nobody knew me, nobody knew my music and nobody knew if I'd be around long enough to do anything if I was offered a deal. Mostly we all have to build up a little buzz through our music, a little "good will" credit and a little bit of longevity that we've been around for a few years and we'll be around for a few years more. It's not a "good 'ol boys" circle or anything like that. All of this is open to all but it just takes time and a few appearances before people start saying "You've been here in previous years right? So let's listen to some of your music".

Anyway, it's a new deal for me, a new connection and a new avenue for my music. Thanks Taxi!! 8-)

Mike Barresi
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Mike Barresi » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:42 pm

Similarly to Dave's story, I was invited by a taxi member that I met at last years rally and collaborated with before this years, to a lunch meeting with a library owner and several other taxi friends. I was given the green light to sign up and begin submitting music to him.

So, a big thanks to taxi for hooking us up and thanks to the taxi member who hooked me up!

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:58 pm

I was pleased to have introduced at the Rally a couple of colleagues whom I have known for a few years now to a client of mine that has gotten my music on 75 episodes (so far) of a well known daily show about Hollywood. I have known these folks for a few years now and I know their music (I've collaborated with one) and I know firsthand that they are pros. I totally trust that they will be a great asset to this client and help raise the quality of his catalog, which helps us all.

I don't take this lightly, I put my reputation on the line when I do it. But I value my friends and I also am committed to raising the quality of music available in the marketplace because it raises the value in general.

This same client called me today to ask my opinion on a business matter so I guess I've raised my value as well.

I met this client through a Taxi forward and I see this as a positive long term relationship. None of this would have been possible without Taxi.

No direct deals so far for me but lots of deepening of relationships, which is priceless.

Thanks Michael. You are a great person and a great friend!

Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:41 pm

Not exactly a new relationship but a great example of benefitting from Taxi relationships and just being present at the Rally. I wanted to say hi to a publisher that I'm signed with but he was too mobbed after his panel, it just didn't feel like a good time to force my way in just to say hello. Fast forward to about one in the morning, hanging out in the lobby having a uke/kazoo/slide whistle jam when Cher (who everyone knows and loves) pulls me aside to tell me that this same publisher would love it if I could send some more tunes that I sing falsetto on. Just so happens that I have a tune already that I didn't think would work for his catalog but since he requested falsetto I sent it to him anyway and sure enough he loves it and now I'm going to get busy on some more falsetto tracks.

I never would have sent him that track had Cher not tracked me down. At the Rally you just never know what might come about, or when or how. I do know that if I wasn't there...well, you get the picture.

Relationships, relationships, relationships.

This is a very generous community you've nurtured over these many years Michael and it seems to have taken on a life of its own. We're all very fortunate to be a part of it.

Thank you,

eo

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:02 pm

I got to know a music supervisor with a major cable station and numerous movies. He has a need for the kind of music I have so I hope it will be an ongoing relationship that will result in placements.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:36 pm

nomiyah wrote:I got to know a music supervisor with a major cable station and numerous movies. He has a need for the kind of music I have so I hope it will be an ongoing relationship that will result in placements.
Way to go, Nomi! Great seeing you as always! :)

:D Casey

pedrocosta
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by pedrocosta » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:42 pm

I met with a music supervisor I have been working on a few projects with.
Was great to meet in person and we discussed the current project and possible further work :)
This connection came as a result of a Taxi forward, thanks Taxi, thanks Michael!
Pedro Costa
Image Image Image