Collaboration Room - Jam Sessions

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

flashgordon

Collaboration Room - Jam Sessions

Post by flashgordon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:46 pm

I've just joined the Forum after attending the 2012 Road Rally with my Lady Jo. It was a great trip and I look forward to next year already though we've got some work to do before then. As a flute / sax player who has been singing in bands for twenty five years I was unable to do anything at the Open Mic this year but next year we'll be prepared. While we were being blown away at the Open Mic Thursday by all the great songs and performers Jo said "I hear drums". As it turns out it was "Big Mama" banging on her wooden box drum (it sounded like a complete kit almost!) and we made our way across the hall to join the jam. I want to say peace and love to every one we met this past weekend. I haven't seen any of you jammers on the Forum but maybe you'll check it out and we can get a thread going on the "Collaboration Room - Jam Sessions". I've had a busy week since getting back to FLA so I can't remember everyone but James (Anderson maybe? -sax, guitar, melodica) Big Mama, Mike Fleming, Bob Woldin,
LaTonya (violinist), Grace (I think? on the soprano sax), Tyler and everyone else that is now a blur, THAT WAS GREAT FUN!! Let's do it again!!! I posted a whole bunch of photos from the last night on my Facebook page. Check it out here - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 833&type=1

rsarja
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Collaboration Room - Jam Sessions

Post by rsarja » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:03 am

I poked my head in that room every night I was there. I heard some great jams and the vibe was beyond words to describe.
A lot of talent was in that room. I wanted to jump into the jam so bad but there wasn't a piano or keyboard available.

Ron Sarja

sguiles
Impressive
Impressive

Post by sguiles » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:51 am

That looks like a ton of fun! Wish I could have gotten in on that action. :)
I think it would be super cool to have a Taxi listing of people and the instruments they play so when we're recording we could call on each other if available. I mean, I don't know too many trombonists or melodica players. How cool that they're all here at Taxi?!

:)
Steven Wesley Guiles | FB | Taxi | Tweety | NewCoolNow |

"You can't wait for inspiration.
You have to go after it with a club."
— Jack London

sguiles
Impressive
Impressive

Post by sguiles » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:51 am

That looks like a ton of fun! Wish I could have gotten in on that action. :)
I think it would be super cool to have a Taxi listing of people and the instruments they play so when we're recording we could call on each other if available. I mean, I don't know too many trombonists or melodica players. How cool that they're all here at Taxi?!

:)
Steven Wesley Guiles | FB | Taxi | Tweety | NewCoolNow |

"You can't wait for inspiration.
You have to go after it with a club."
— Jack London

flashgordon

Post by flashgordon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:35 pm

I heard that last year the jams were in the lobby where there was a grand piano. Supposedly they went until the wee hours and this year the Westin put a kibosh on that. When we arrived Wednesday night there was piano in the lobby with a clamp on it's jaw. But Thursday morning it had been hidden. It is disappointing there wasn't a keyboard in the "Collaboration Room" this year but next year we must insist.

BigMamaCajon

Post by BigMamaCajon » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:04 pm

Hi Flash! I had a great time playing with you and everyone in the collaboration room. I am working on my ukulele this weekend writing a country tune.
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!
Lots of love,
Big Mama

RichardCharles
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RichardCharles » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:41 pm

Hey everybody!

I had a such a blast jamming with everyone! I played the cajon bongos and other percussion.

On Sunday we had an electric keyboard in the lobby and jammed, but it would be nice to get a some sort of keyboard for all nights.

So much fun!!

Rich

Luvgamble

Post by Luvgamble » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:50 am

I renewed my subscription to Taxi just now so that I can come back next year and watch Big Mama...no joke. I'm the guy that was in there all the time with the crazy pants and no guitar just being entertained.

Big Mama, ask Michael for a piece of my subscription renewal, you earned it. You are truly awesome.

Tom

BigMamaCajon

Post by BigMamaCajon » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:35 pm

Hi Tom!

I remember you and your array of colors :-). Thank you so much for the wonderful compliment. I played last night at a great little microbrewery here in Tucson with Shaky Bones. James (the sax and melodica player from the rally jam) and I are both in that band. If you are ever in Arizona, be sure to look us up.

Merry Christmas!

Warmest wishes,
Big Mama

jameskand

Post by jameskand » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:55 pm

Hi guys! Been outta the forums for a while. Good to see ya. I agree on the instrument list being a great idea. The jams are one of the things that makes the taxi rally unique. The collaboration room is great for guitars, but a piano really drowns them out. Perhaps next year we could have both?? Piano in the lobby, and Collaboration room. There is enough talent at the rally to fill every nook and cranny with music...

The vibe is simply incredible, and i look forward to next year. this year has had its share of tradgedy, but as in previous years, the taxi Rally is in its own world...thanks to coming together of amazing people....all ages, all styles, and all types. Lets start counting down the days, and i hope to see all of you back, along with those that couldnt return this last year.

MERRY CHRISTMAS.