Guitar synthesizer recommendations....

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

dynamicalan
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Guitar synthesizer recommendations....

Post by dynamicalan » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:08 pm

andygabrys wrote:there is another thread about this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TriplePlayPU/

of course you still need a laptop or something for sounds.
Has anyone tried the Trippleplay? From what I know polyphony is not a question. Also, this may be the wrong post for this but, what electric do you think is the best guitar for having audio and midi on the same instrument? I've always thought a Strat was the way to go but I've heard mixed opinions.
Dynamic Alan Publishing, BMI

dynamicalan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dynamicalan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:52 pm

Hello,

I watched this video and another one. He showed a monophonic passage on the screen showing up as notation but the chords he didn't show. I'm not sure if that will show up as chords but most likely it does. I also noticed that it also has an external hardware device.

The only thing is that those sounds will require you to have that unit to play those sounds. That doesn't mean you can't reassign them to your own inside your DAW but the sounds do give you more so that's a good thing. I could be wrong but I think there's an advantage to having a sound module with external sounds because it create realism just because there not inside the computer.

I like this a lot better than my experience with the Tripple Play but that doesn't say anything about the unit it was just my guitar was working with the unit. I'm sure it's a fine unit.

I used to feel that was an negative to have an external sound module I'm seeing it differently now because you can always sample those sounds if you want to use them in instruments. But, the benefits of recording audio with an external sound module are an improvement than just doing all sounds inside the computer. But, that aspect, like I said, I may be incorrect about. I like it better than what I have seen in other units but the Rolland units I don't know much about.
dschreiberjr wrote:
CHuckmott wrote:Thanks....I think I need to start another thread , as more what I am looking for is people's opinions on whether they believe guitar based midi composing is a viable option to keyboard. My experience today with using (trial version) Melodyne Editor, the interpretation of what I was playing when I recorded it , saved it as a midi file and then played it back in software instruments - just off, most of the time. If it is that much of a learning curve or is consistently that questionable, I think I'll forge ahead with continuing to try to be more proficient on keys.

Your response so far is right on the money, though, and exactly what I asked for. Yamaha also has options for that.
I think this option is better than Melodyne right off the bat simply because it can be played and generate MIDI data in real time. If you're looking to play something on the guitar and have it translate instantly to MIDI, I think this is the ticket. Melodyne never appealed to me in this capacity. Melodyne generates MIDI from audio files...meaning you have to record something first and then convert it. With this stuff you're generating MIDI from what you play immediately rather than doing it in an offline process. That fact alone can save a lot of time in how you end up writing. That said, I've heard that it still has its quirks (just like Melodyne) and you need to play extremely clean in order to get your desired results. It isn't a perfect piece of gear, but neither is any MIDI keyboard.

My opinion on this replacing a keyboard in my workflow is that it won't happen. If I had this, it would be another tool that I use, but it wouldn't replace my keyboard. Much in the same way a real piano can't replace a guitar and vice versa.

But I'm sure there are people out there who can't live without this piece of gear. I'm sure there would easily be many songs inspired by using this.

I'd say if you can get one to try it out with a no-hassle return policy, that would be your best bet. You might even be able to rent one from Guitar Center or some other equipment shop. Whether or not they become a part of your daily workflow and writing process, at the very least, they are a TON of fun to play with. I can definitely see it being a great piece of gear to have for a live show.

This guy seems to do well with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8ESf-0i ... ure=relmfu
Dynamic Alan Publishing, BMI

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:55 pm

Haven't seen anyone mention this one yet,

http://www.amazon.com/You-Rock-Guitar-Y ... ock+guitar

I have one, it doesn't have strings on the neck, kinda like that thing Alan Holdsworth used to play, but you can get used to it. I also have a Roland but the thing with strings, for programming, is that you get so much pitch bend data it really gums up the works when comes time to do MIDI editing. At least with this it's pretty clean MIDI input and you can still think like a guitar player. And it's cheap.