Guitar synthesizer recommendations....

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Guitar synthesizer recommendations....

Post by CHuckmott » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:01 pm

Looking for something with pretty good onboard sounds, at least good enough for clubs gigs to replicate sounds and sort of fill in the "keyboardless" vibe in two guitar cover band but also tracks like a dream for purposes of recording stuff for posting here. Feeling possibly I could cover more ground and ,more quickly, being a guitar player, rather then continue to push forward with getting more proficient on the keys. Is this possible, because if so can't figure out why more guitarists aren't doing it If people can discuss yamaha vs. roland options (or even other options) would be a huge plus. Thank-y.

dschreiberjr
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Guitar synthesizer recommendations....

Post by dschreiberjr » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:54 am

Orange Tree Samples has some awesome Kontakt based libraries. The packaged presets are great. They cover all sorts of tones. Plus, if you have Guitar Rig or Amplitube or some other guitar amp modelling software, then that adds to the sound as well. OTS is the best bang for the buck IMO. They have an acoustic library and an electric library.

Omnisphere has some good guitar samples in it. Not as flexible with tone-shaping as the above. However, it sounds fantastic.

Electri6ity is also a beast, but is pricey for just a guitar library. The patches are also very large which means long load times.

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CHuckmott » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:04 am

I'm sorry, but not what I meant. I am a guitar playing looking for a synth that also does a good job of transmitting midi data for both live use and for the purpose of recording. Or possibly something that does guitar and can change the audio into a midi file.....which I can then transfer into something like Omnisphere which I own.

dschreiberjr
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by dschreiberjr » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:06 pm

CHuckmott wrote:I'm sorry, but not what I meant. I am a guitar playing looking for a synth that also does a good job of transmitting midi data for both live use and for the purpose of recording. Or possibly something that does guitar and can change the audio into a midi file.....which I can then transfer into something like Omnisphere which I own.

I see! Roland makes some products for this. Notably the VG99. Also, AXON makes some stuff.

They both need a special pickup to be installed in order to play this stuff and use the information as MIDI data. However, some guitar manufacturers have adopted the hardware into the guitars pre-built. That's if you're looking into getting a new guitar....

Roland VG99: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VG99GK3/

Godin Guitar with 'synth access' pickups and connection: http://www.godinguitars.com/godinlgxtp.htm

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CHuckmott » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:58 pm

Thanks....I think I need to start another thread , as more what I am looking for is people's opinions on whether they believe guitar based midi composing is a viable option to keyboard. My experience today with using (trial version) Melodyne Editor, the interpretation of what I was playing when I recorded it , saved it as a midi file and then played it back in software instruments - just off, most of the time. If it is that much of a learning curve or is consistently that questionable, I think I'll forge ahead with continuing to try to be more proficient on keys.

Your response so far is right on the money, though, and exactly what I asked for. Yamaha also has options for that.

dschreiberjr
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by dschreiberjr » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:05 am

CHuckmott wrote:Thanks....I think I need to start another thread , as more what I am looking for is people's opinions on whether they believe guitar based midi composing is a viable option to keyboard. My experience today with using (trial version) Melodyne Editor, the interpretation of what I was playing when I recorded it , saved it as a midi file and then played it back in software instruments - just off, most of the time. If it is that much of a learning curve or is consistently that questionable, I think I'll forge ahead with continuing to try to be more proficient on keys.

Your response so far is right on the money, though, and exactly what I asked for. Yamaha also has options for that.
I think this option is better than Melodyne right off the bat simply because it can be played and generate MIDI data in real time. If you're looking to play something on the guitar and have it translate instantly to MIDI, I think this is the ticket. Melodyne never appealed to me in this capacity. Melodyne generates MIDI from audio files...meaning you have to record something first and then convert it. With this stuff you're generating MIDI from what you play immediately rather than doing it in an offline process. That fact alone can save a lot of time in how you end up writing. That said, I've heard that it still has its quirks (just like Melodyne) and you need to play extremely clean in order to get your desired results. It isn't a perfect piece of gear, but neither is any MIDI keyboard.

My opinion on this replacing a keyboard in my workflow is that it won't happen. If I had this, it would be another tool that I use, but it wouldn't replace my keyboard. Much in the same way a real piano can't replace a guitar and vice versa.

But I'm sure there are people out there who can't live without this piece of gear. I'm sure there would easily be many songs inspired by using this.

I'd say if you can get one to try it out with a no-hassle return policy, that would be your best bet. You might even be able to rent one from Guitar Center or some other equipment shop. Whether or not they become a part of your daily workflow and writing process, at the very least, they are a TON of fun to play with. I can definitely see it being a great piece of gear to have for a live show.

This guy seems to do well with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8ESf-0i ... ure=relmfu

GiantHeadCollective
Active
Active

Post by GiantHeadCollective » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:06 am

I have the Roland GK 55 and there is a lot to like about it, the hardest part is the tracking, sometimes there are glitches escpecially when using different velocities in picking. If you check the track "Love Me" the Piano and strings are done on the GK55. I can't play keys so this really gives me that ability to add an extra dimension to my recordings and although maybe not the most realistic or best sounding you can get. The tracks are way better with than without.

http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.p ... tHeadMusic
If your music is 90% attitude and 10% talent, then you better start thinking of what you want to work as for the remaining 90% of your life!
http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.p ... tHeadMusic

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:39 am

there is another thread about this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TriplePlayPU/

of course you still need a laptop or something for sounds.

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CHuckmott » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:21 pm

WOuld check out the Fishman . DOn't even necessarily want the synth persay, have a lot of good sounds at my disposal, although I can definitely hear the utility of the Roland as a legit piece of gear depending on the situation (liked GHC's use of it there). Have to rethink getting a midi interface with the Fishman since I use an APogee Duet (midi transmitted via USB) straight to the Mac. I can play or program some basic things, but when it comes to soloing on keys, that ain't happening. Would be worth it for me if I could get the midi to do a fairly realistic sax solo. Hmmm....

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:29 pm

CHuckmott wrote:WOuld check out the Fishman . DOn't even necessarily want the synth persay, have a lot of good sounds at my disposal, although I can definitely hear the utility of the Roland as a legit piece of gear depending on the situation (liked GHC's use of it there). Have to rethink getting a midi interface with the Fishman since I use an APogee Duet (midi transmitted via USB) straight to the Mac. I can play or program some basic things, but when it comes to soloing on keys, that ain't happening. Would be worth it for me if I could get the midi to do a fairly realistic sax solo. Hmmm....
It's not that the midi of those devices are not correct, they are, it's just that you will have to tweak the midi in your daw to better resemble the adsr envelope of the instrument you want it to play to sound convincing. That may involve adjusting velocites, volumes and lengths of the notes, changing the guitar chords into piano chords, deleting note overlap or legato for a sax...

So using the midi from the guitar as a template and as a quick way to capture your ideas, very useful, but expecting the guitar midi to be converted automatically, say a preset, convert midi to sax or piano or strings... would be a crapshoot, I mean there's got to be a million ways to convert just to a sax midi that you might find satisfying.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music