Upgraded Cubase Artist 8.5 to 9.0

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Upgraded Cubase Artist 8.5 to 9.0

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:10 pm

I just upgraded from Cubase Artist 8.5 to 9.0 if any Cubase users are interested.

Having paid, Steinberg directed me to a download page for the 1.8Gb upgrade file and its authorization code. After download, clicking on the file decompressed it then offered the option of checking for any on-line updates. I agreed to this and it downloaded another 750Mb. Installation was then pretty swift and left me with Artist 8.5 still available (apparently) as well as Artist 9.0. I've only opened 9.0 since, and I've not yet licensed it, although I'm sure I will within the next few days (using the installed licensing suite and dongle).

Generally, it went very well, with just a few minor issues. Cubase 9 now allows ONLY 64-bit plug-ins, so I got a few warnings about 32-bit plug-ins that were no longer permitted and were consequently 'blacklised'. Luckily, I either already had, or could get hold of, 64-bit versions, so that was soon solved. I also got warnings that Kontakt could not be found (because for some reason 8.5 had been pointing at my 32-bit Native Instruments folder, and 9.0 had inherited the same path). Again, that was soon sorted by adding a new path in the 9.0 plug-in manager, and the rest of the NI plug-ins then became available too. That was about all I had to do, and the Artist 8.5 projects I've tried so far all seem to open in 9.0 without any problems. I assume that if I save them again within 9.0 I'll then no longer be able to open them in 8.5, so I'll be sure to save new versions each time.

I've only had a quick skim through 9.0 so far, but there are some cosmetic differences. The main one is the amalgamation of some previously separate windows and looks convenient for those of us who work with just one monitor. The sampler seems nice, but maybe there's a lot more going on 'under the hood' too. Its hard to tell yet whether the upgrade price was worth the cost (which wasn't huge), but I'm happy to be up-to-date with Steinberg's latest offerings. Still, I would have been much happier if I hadn't missed out on a free upgrade because I licensed 8.5 about 9 days too early! :roll:
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

fuzzbox
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Upgraded Cubase Artist 8.5 to 9.0

Post by fuzzbox » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:47 pm

I upgraded to Cubase Pro 9 last year and recently installed the maintenance update. 8-) It is now even more powerful and more streamlined with its enhanced workflows.

I had much the same issues that you described. Since I recently purchased Komplete 11, I had to connect my music PC internet. This is something that I have resisted for about 8 years because of the virus risk and putting anti-virus software on your PC can slow it down :shock: .

I have not played with the Sampler track but it looks good. Kontak has a built in sampler that I will be attempting to use very soon. It will be good to compare.

Moving to only 64-bit plugins makes Cubase more stable. However, you can still use your Blacklisted plugins (32-bit plugins) should you have a sound you really want to use. There is a work around but I haven't bothered... out with the old in with the new! :D
ImageImage

All You Need Is Ears - Sir George Martin
The music is not in the notes, but in the silence betweenWolfgang Amadeus Mozart

mrdtman
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by mrdtman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:25 pm

I up-graded from Artist 8.5 few months back. I've been a CUBASE user from the start. Really like Artist 9. Not many issues. Only one I currently have is with the PRESONUS FADERPORT 8 I got a few weeks back. Cubase will freeze but keep playing. If I turn off the FP8 my screen snaps back and I can control with my mouse.

Contacted Presonus, they had me run some tests and said the problem seems to be CUBASE is showing errors in Windows (7). Told me to contact Steinberg. Didn't have an issue until I hooked up the FP8. Love it when its running correctly though.

DT

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:45 pm

Thanks for weighing in guys. Shame about the Faderport problem, but its always a danger using kit from two makers that can so easily blame each other. I hope you sort it out though. I've had no further issues at all since installing the upgrade, so it seems like Steinberg did a fairly good job with both Pro 9 and Artist 9.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

mrdtman
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by mrdtman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:45 pm

Telefunkin wrote:Thanks for weighing in guys. Shame about the Faderport problem, but its always a danger using kit from two makers that can so easily blame each other. I hope you sort it out though. I've had no further issues at all since installing the upgrade, so it seems like Steinberg did a fairly good job with both Pro 9 and Artist 9.

Yeah, trying to sort it out. I'll contact Steinberg about it...they'll probably blame Presonus...lol

DT