VIDEO: Using DAW Templates To Work Faster

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

VIDEO: Using DAW Templates To Work Faster

Post by Paulie » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:55 am

I had a good conversation with a fellow Taxi member yesterday about creating music faster. If you want to make any real money writing instrumental cues for television you have to have two things: quality AND quantity. This video should help with the quantity aspect. In it I walk through my own process for using a Logic Pro X project from a cue that was placed and then create a brand new cue from it. The video is about 45 minutes long, I could do the work in 30 minutes or less if I wasn't explaining every step. I didn't edit the video at all so you will see my entire thought process.

https://youtu.be/3W055RCRBy0

note: I am NO expert, I'm just sharing my thought process and ideas to pay forward some of the mentoring several Taxi vets have given me. I'll probably do more of these in different idioms now that i figure out how to get all of the audio working properly. I'm on a Mac and used Screenflow Pro 6 to record this.

Paulie
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Re: VIDEO: Using DAW Templates To Work Faster

Post by waveheavy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:18 am

Your YouTube video is blocked out, it's private, requiring some kind of sign in. I signed into my account but the video still says it's unavailable.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:31 am

oops! I changed the permissions. Same link should work now. https://youtu.be/3W055RCRBy0

Thanks!

PC
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:50 pm

Just wanted to say Paulie, thanks very much indeed for sharing your working methods and advice. Your generosity in doing this is very much appreciated, and yet another testimony to the spirit of the Taxi community. I haven't even watched it yet (and of course I will as my very next action) but I'm just amazed by that spirit and your willingness to help others, and I just had to get that out. Thanks again!! :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:58 pm

OK, now I've watched, I'm even more impressed! First, you have a great voice and manner for an instructor. I'm sure you'd do very well indeed as a teacher/instructor, should you fancy another/additional career. :)

As for the video, I've heard many say that working with templates is a good way to ease workflow, but I'd got that in my mind as something a little different to what you showed. I've re-used some of my tracks that are all based on VIs (and also one that's simple audio that is easily re-recorded but all the FX remain in place. However, what I've done is erased the parts, and therefore the arrangement too, and re-constructed another track using the same sounds but with a totally new arrangement. It does help by not having to find the sounds that work and the FX, so I thought that was the point of the template. By comparison, the method you've showed really makes the most of the what you have and re-uses key parts of the arrangement with minimal changes to the individual parts. the bit about 'Damage' rhythms made me smile! Wish I had that, but I have other stuff that could perhaps do the same.

All in all, your method is a ton simpler and faster than my method. Therefore, I've picked up some very valuable tips. By the way, the arpeggiator is cool, and I must find the Cubase version. I'll bet you could use it on rhythmic parts too. Also, what about using a chord track too, to help keep track of the chord changes (once established)? You've certainly got me thinking now, and that's great!! :D

Once again Paulie, thank you for your generosity in sharing!
YPM, YPM.... :lol:
P.S. Would you send BOTH tracks to the same client?
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:06 pm

Brave of you to let us in on your creative process! Thank you!
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by waveheavy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:36 pm

Nice video and composition Paulie,

I guess that's a good way to maintain a certain instrumental character when you want to write several tracks of a similar theme.

What I'm doing is trying to create templates based on different genres, like "Dramedy Template" for example. I try to figure out as many of the must have instruments to include for the style and then save that as a template file. For an orchestral piece, the template will have the instruments for a traditional orchestra saved in the template, buses setup, all assignments, all effects and reverb plugins loaded.

I also have various buses setup with mixing plugins on them. I also create separate Audio tracks in the template for the MIDI/Instrument tracks. My UAD plugins aren't available on a MIDI track in Digital Performer, so if I want a certain plugin used on a certain MIDI track, I just go to its Audio track and apply it there.

Something a lot of composers do is begin the composition on like Bar 3 or greater, because it gives the CPU time to generate the MIDI to audio when the tracks start playing.

sansharbour
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sansharbour » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:58 am

Thanks Paul for sharing this
I have Logic x as well and felt at home watching
I learned a few things and will put to use.....transposing , varying the melodic content etc.

Question .....you didn't seem to have a lot on the mix bus..... is that your usual configuration
EQ, compressor, Mix Bus Lite and spreader

Thanks again for the tips
Don

edmondredd
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edmondredd » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:46 am

Thanks for sharing that Paulie. It's always interesting to see someone else's workflow, especially when using the same DAW.
The only thing I could add also to work faster is the use of shortcuts: Automation, transpose, zooming in/out, renaming amongst other would sure make your workflow smoother.
Telefunkin wrote: you have a great voice and manner for an instructor. I'm sure you'd do very well indeed as a teacher/instructor, should you fancy another/additional career. :)

As for the video, I've heard many say that working with templates is a good way to ease workflow, but I'd got that in my mind as something a little different to what you showed. I've re-used some of my tracks that are all based on VIs (and also one that's simple audio that is easily re-recorded but all the FX remain in place. However, what I've done is erased the parts, and therefore the arrangement too, and re-constructed another track using the same sounds but with a totally new arrangement. It does help by not having to find the sounds that work and the FX, so I thought that was the point of the template. By comparison, the method you've showed really makes the most of the what you have and re-uses key parts of the arrangement with minimal changes to the individual parts. the bit about 'Damage' rhythms made me smile!
I tend to have the same approach Telefunkin regarding using templates, and this is definitely and additional way of doing it. I'll probably give it a try with smaller projects,

Again Paulie thank you for sharing the knowledge
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

Sunset
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Sunset » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:51 am

[quote=" By the way, the arpeggiator is cool, and I must find the Cubase version. I'll bet you could use it on rhythmic parts too. Also, what about using a chord track too, to help keep track of the chord changes (once established)? You've certainly got me thinking now, and that's great!! :D ?[/quote]

Hi Graham, there are 2 aprggiators in Cubase 8+ in a midi or instrument track, look to "midi inserts" and select Apache 5 or Apache SX.. Apache 5 is the "lite" version of Sx.. but both will do the job- and plenty of vids to help you get going on them...

Chord track is really cool to use- particularly when you want really unusual arrangements... try playing with the complexity button- it can really get some grim progressions...

John