Curiosity Poll: How Long You Been At This?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Curiosity Poll: How Long You Been At This?

Post by Razor7Music » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:13 pm

Well, just yesterday marked 3 months since I joined Taxi. I'm reading songwriting books, been to the Road Rally and am being enriched by replies to my forum posts for help. Although my time is perhaps a little more limited toward working on music than I'd like, I can tell the marketability of my songs are leaps and bounds better than before joining Taxi.

When I'm not working on music, I'm thinking about it. Ideas for existing songs, ideas for lyrics, and ideas for new songs. One thing I was thinking about today is how long I've been at this--at music writing and how little I've been getting (or receptive to) the kind of knowledge I really need if I ever want to make any money with my music. I don't feel like anything I did or learned prior to joining Taxi was a waste of time. I learned many transferable skills that I wouldn't be able to apply to what I'm learning as a Taxi member if I didn't have the years of experience prior. It all works together as long as I'm willing to submit what I want to do naturally with what I've learned will help sell a song.

Then it crossed my mind; "I wonder how long the other Taxi members have been at this?” My guess is there is a full spectrum of folks from those that just got on the right track as soon as they decided they wanted to be a songwriter to those that have been at it for a long time but have found that to get to where they want to go with their music, they needed to join Taxi--and probably everything in between.

I get the impression from those on this forum who give me feedback to my questions that they've been at it a while. It shows with their replies they have experience.

So, how long have you been writing songs? How long did you write before you got on a path that led, or you know will lead to success?

I started writing at 12 when I self-taught myself how to play on my brother's acoustic guitar. They were little instrumentals that maybe were 2 minutes long, but they were songs. So I've been writing songs for 37 years.

How about you?
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Curiosity Poll: How Long You Been At This?

Post by kclements » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:01 am

I've been playing/studying piano for 40 years. Went to college as a music major and hated it. Dropped out of the music department, graduated with a B.S. in political science. Went through many, many professional stages before coming back to music full time. I know make my living in music. I joined Taxi 3 years ago this March - that's when I started getting serious about composing. I write instrumentals - been composing my whole life, just never with any purpose.

When I first joined Taxi, this was an important question for me - how long had others been doing what I wanted to do. And while I think it can be an interesting topic, don't use it to judge your progress. We are all on different stages of the path, some move faster than others, some slower. Just keep moving forward.

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:11 am

I've been makin' music for 32 years and I really love it! :)
The details are kinda boring...even to me. :lol:

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:43 am

I've been composing for just about ten years. I got into music licensing six years ago when I first joined Taxi. Hopefully this journey will lead to big time success.

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CHuckmott » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:44 am

Playing 35 years. Wrote songs randomly during that time. Started recording my own stuff in 2004 with a Digi 002 system. Did that for a few years, went back to playing covers in local bands. Now do both and enjoying the process. Been a member since May 2012.

jazzstan
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jazzstan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:07 pm

Started violin in '58. Switch to trombone in '59. Got my first guitar in '65. Undergrad degree in music in '73. Took 10 years off in the 80's to attend to health and additional education priorities. So, uhmmmm, let see... 46 years. That's 322 in dog years.

simonrushby
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by simonrushby » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:23 pm

I got my music degree in 1990. Been earning a living as a music teacher ever since. Started writing songs and instrumentals about the same time. Got my first album cut in 2007, my first top 40 single in 2010. If ever there was an example of why you keep at it, it's me!

Simon

AmandaAnderson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AmandaAnderson » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:06 pm

Firstly - wow Simon congrats re Top 40 single :) was it you performing or did another artist record your song ?

Timescales:

Tony - singer/songwriter since he was 17 (he's now 53). Guitar player for same period. Never licenced his work.

Amanda - I'm 52 and I can't sing. I only started writing lyrics about 6 months ago (although I have worked/am published writer in other areas). Play percussion (also just bought full drum set so am now also learning to use that). I am also reading every book I can find which is considered good, on songwriting and music management - currently reading John Braheney (The Craft & Business Of Songwriting) and Robin Frederick (2 books - Shortcuts To Hit Songwriting and also Shortcuts to Songwriting for Film & TV).

We joined Taxi (in Tony's name as he currently has all the back catalogue) in November 2012 - so not very long ago. Now working on new things purposely for film/TV/for other artists etc via Taxi. No forwards yet - but not expected until we learn the format etc :)

Hope this is the kinda thing you were after.

Sláinte
Amanda Anderson
Tony Anderson | Taxi | YouTube | FB | Twitter |

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:33 pm

Footnote: I wouldn't want to give anyone the impression that my post had any pity in it. :? The truth of the matter is that there were several things that needed to happen before I had the tools necessary to not only be willing, but able to be a songwriter as a source of income. I had to feel comfortable with not wanting to produce myself as the performer any longer--either performing my own music or selling CDs with me as the artist. I also needed an environment where I felt enough privacy to be able to experiment and not feel self-conscious that someone would hear me roughing something out. That happened a couple years ago when I got my first sound resistant project studio. Now when I walk into my studio I instantly feel inspired to work on music.

What I hear from you inspires me. Feeling like I'm part of a community that understands where I want to go and sincerely wants to help me get there is what prompted my thoughts about this post. Hearing people around my age that got serious about as many years (or more) after they started songwriting enforces my hope.

If I can learn something from someone that's been down the path that I'm on now and prevents me from making the same mistakes they did, then I have to say that, and their words of encouragement makes it all worth it.

A heartfelt thank you to all of you!
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:15 am

Been playin guitar for 54 years.

Jotting down songs on paper 20 years ago.

Started recording 10 years ago.

Almost done. My get up and go got up and left.

Paul
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613