Computer crash...too much dust?!?!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Computer crash...too much dust?!?!

Post by cardell » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:29 pm

I've had a computer crash! :shock:

I had too much dust in my computer (I didn't even realize). It just kept shutting down on me. Some of my files seemed to get corrupted with all of the sudden shutdowns. I'm re-installing everything now. Luckily, my backup routine is very good (because of bad experiences in the past...loosing everything... :( ).

The annoying thing is: I heard a whirling noise for a few days before...but I didn't take enough notice... :oops:

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Computer crash...too much dust?!?!

Post by Len911 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:40 pm

I don't think dust alone would have much effect unless it was clogging the fans or something, heat would be more likely if that is the issue.
Is it in an enclosed cabinet, or next to a vent, wall or some other obstruction that prevents circulation? A whirling noise could be the bearings on a fan going out (check for wet spots of oil), or a hard drive getting ready to crap?
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:11 pm

Len911 wrote:I don't think dust alone would have much effect unless it was clogging the fans or something, heat would be more likely if that is the issue.
Is it in an enclosed cabinet, or next to a vent, wall or some other obstruction that prevents circulation? A whirling noise could be the bearings on a fan going out (check for wet spots of oil), or a hard drive getting ready to crap?
Yes, you're right Len!

I opened up my computer box (which is at my feet next to a wall) and the fans on the graphics card and the CPU were full of dust (like grey cotton)...yuck!! I took the dust out (carefully) and the problem has stopped...for the moment... :shock:

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:17 pm

Dust could be the cause, it happened to someone I know. Her PC backed up to a hvac duct, and when the hvac was blowing the dust got sucked right into her PC. It would get gummed up in no time. I believe the main issue with dust is it causes overheating - the cooling isn't efficient if fans and components have significant dust. Anyway, we cleaned up her PC, moved it away from the duct, and it's been fine ever since.

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:57 pm

jdstamper wrote:Anyway, we cleaned up her PC, moved it away from the duct, and it's been fine ever since.
Thanks Jim...I'm gonna do the same.

I've turned this into a positive experience. I had been putting off changing from Windows 7 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit. ...but, this seemed to be as good a time as any to do it. I've discovered (new to me at least) a few important things along the way:

1. There is a VERY important hidden directory in your user folder called AppData that has LOTS of your important stuff. I wasn't backing this up in my regular routine (until now!). :shock:
See here for more info: http://www.blogtechnika.com/what-is-app ... -windows-7

2. Windows 32 bit programs seem to work fine on Windows 64 bit. I never realized this. I figure everything had to be 64 bit...but no problem here. :)

3. Having regular backups makes thing a lot less stressful...when something like this happens. ;)

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image