Exclusives and 5-year deals: is this the new norm?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Rob Lorenzo
Impressive
Impressive

Exclusives and 5-year deals: is this the new norm?

Post by Rob Lorenzo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:47 am

Hi insightful TAXI friends and collaborators,

I'm in the process of renewing/reviewing my existing music library catalog agreements as part of redeveloping my production workflow and goals for the next few years.

One of the agreements up for consideration is (now) a five-year exclusive agreement which is quite different to the two-year non-exclusive agreement I signed with the company originally.

Whilst I appreciate this is a sign of the times i.e. things are going more towards the exclusive - and whilst I am aware of some of the pros and cons of such agreements, my question is this (ideally to the seasoned professionals on the TAXI forum):

Is this the new normal?

Can we expect to see more of these and what are the implications of committing to such agreements (good and bad?)

This is a bit of a game-changer for me - and what about all the stuff placed/committed non-exclusively prior to this point?

Many thanks as always - your wisdom appreciated!

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Exclusives and 5-year deals: is this the new norm?

Post by DesireInspires » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:51 pm

This is the new norm.

Rob Lorenzo
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Rob Lorenzo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:25 pm

Thanks DesireInspires.

Whilst lengthy exclusives may be the way some things are going, I recommend anyone interested in such agreements getting professional advice. Sadly, this one contract wasn't for me.

On the positive side - It's funny what you say no too as I've just signed another agreement following another TAXI forward.

Moral of the story - be clear about what you don't want... and you'll get what you want (and if ever you think there aren't any more other opportunities out there for you...keep submitting...there are!)

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:53 pm

Rob Lorenzo wrote:
Moral of the story - be clear about what you don't want... and you'll get what you want (and if ever you think there aren't any more other opportunities out there for you...keep submitting...there are!)
Yes. New opportunities pop up all of the time.

coachdebra
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by coachdebra » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:33 am

Rob Lorenzo wrote:Moral of the story - be clear about what you don't want... and you'll get what you want (and if ever you think there aren't any more other opportunities out there for you...keep submitting...there are!)
Well, I'd recommend focusing on what you do want - because what you focus on expands. But you can use the discovery of things you don't want to hone in on what you do want to attract. And saying no to an opportunity is really about trusting that the right opportunities are out there and keep working to find them. Saying yes to opportunities that really aren't a good fit just because you need to say yes to something is just desperation. And there's nothing more unattractive!

Rob Lorenzo
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Rob Lorenzo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:08 am

Thanks Debra,

Most insightful!