Non-exclusive publishing agreements

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

PeteDeVriese

Non-exclusive publishing agreements

Post by PeteDeVriese » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:11 pm

Hi all,

I recently read that, despite all the non-exclusive publishing deals out there, it's basically frowned upon to sign a song to multiple non-exclusive deals. The article stated that music supervisors who find out you have more than one publisher for a song will often refuse to ever work with you again.

Does anybody have insight on this? I'm mostly curious. I have a song with a publisher on a non-exclusive deal, and I've considered submitting the song to some TAXI listings, but I'm concerned I might run into this issue and get "blacklisted" by someone.

Happy writing,
Pete DeVriese

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Non-exclusive publishing agreements

Post by Casey H » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:44 pm

Hey Pete

Read Michael Laskow's post at the end of this long thread...

http://forums.taxi.com/topic32004-70.html

To the best of my knowledge, and the knowledge of many very experienced composers, the is NO BLACKLIST for putting tracks in multiple non-exclusive libraries. There are some who advise against it (e.g. suggest treating each non-exclusive as exclusive), some who still use same tracks/multiple libraries as part of their strategy (and that includes a very successful composer who was recently a guest on Taxi TV!). As Michael said, everyone needs to educate themselves and make informed decisions that are best for them. But worrying about some blacklist is NOT something you need to consider in your decision.

PM me if you want to chat more.

Best,
:D Casey