Win8... ugh!!

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Win8... ugh!!

Post by Russell Landwehr » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:40 am

Had to upgrade my office Vista machine since the MS Office 2013 I just purchased only works with Win7 or Win8. So I thought "why not" since Win8 is the newest. Plus sooner or later (probably sooner) I'm going to have to help my customers get online with their Win8 machines.

May I say... arrrrrrrrgh!

This learning curve is way steeper than any other Windows upgrade I've done so far. And I started out way back in Windows v3.3 land. This is even steeper than the switch from DOS to Windows. Harder even than learning my Android smartphone. (which I've had for 3 years and still am finding new things... did you know there are "widgets" on these Androids? huh!)

Maybe I'm just showing my age... or maybe it's time to switch to MAC.

Russell
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Win8... ugh!!

Post by Kolstad » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:44 am

I concur, and got myself a Mac Mini now. I cannot allign myself with the Windows 8 interface.
Ceo of my own life

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:44 am

well, having used both, there are certainly issues with both, but I would have to say you will keep more of your brain cells on the mac. despite the higher price etc.

jazzstan
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jazzstan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:38 pm

I've often envisioned that when Bill Gates passes and goes to hell, engulfed in flames, he reaches for the fire extinguisher, and ... what? oh, sorry, we changed operating system and the lever to press is now in a different place; he repeats this scene over and over, but next time it's a blue screen, after that it's vista, after that it's Excel 2007, after that... etc, etc. But not forever. I am not ruthless. Only once for everytime each one of his customers has gone thru hell dealing with the changes. Seems fair.

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:19 pm

jazzstan wrote:I've often envisioned that when Bill Gates passes and goes to hell, engulfed in flames...
Why such certainty about the man's final destination? :lol:

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:29 pm

I've been playing with Win 8 on a new laptop, not my DAW! Looks like Microsoft took the "metro" interface (ala Xbox and MS mobile devices) and slapped it into Windows 8, while leaving the old "desktop" interface in there too. Windows 8 boots up in metro, then you can click to bring up the desktop which is still a lot like Windows 7, plus and minus a few things. Since Microsoft "replaced" the Start menu with metro, I put shortcuts on my desktop for all my key apps ... I've always done that anyway, so I'm not missing Start all that much.

Metro feels like a version 1 release ... some nice eye candy apps run on metro, so it's kind of fun to play with, but I usually just click through to the desktop, and then it's business as usual. I think metro has potential, but just doesn't feel done yet, and Microsoft should have done a much better job of joining metro and the desktop. Mostly it's like 2 disconnected user interfaces.

I'm a Sonar user, and Cakewalk has already come out with Sonar X2 with Windows 8 compatibility and touchscreen features. I'm not lining up to use touchscreen with my DAW, but I'll keep an open mind for the future. (Sidebar - I just installed X2 on Windows 7, and so far I'm liking it).

Win 8 seems to perform pretty well (Intel i5 laptop), I'm interested to learn how it does running DAW software ... anyone? ... anyone?

Jim
Last edited by jdstamper on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:18 pm

I've heard a lot of users are not happy with Win 8. I'm going to make sure I get a new computer soon so I can still buy it with Windows 7.... A few years from now, maybe they'll add an option for Win 8 to be just like Win 7 or they'll offer a new op sys.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Russell, windows 3.3?? :? Are you one of those senior citizens that insist on making their avatar their senior h.s. picture?lol!! Or when you look at the obituaries and all these young people who have passed only to find out they're in their 80's and 90's. rofl!!

I was always a flip-flopper, I remember a windows version that used a lot of dos commands and floppies, and I remember switching to mac to run a daw called either elogic or emagic, I think I saw another post mention it. It supposedly had a really powerful reverb program in it, I was so p*ssed because my mac didn't have enough memory and would crash, it never worked for me. Thank goodness I didn't buy one of those mac clones, ouch! I'm still running xp. I was afraid to upgrade to Vista. Russell do you purposefully upgrade only to the most scary versions?? :lol: :lol: It might be time to switch to a mac, isn't Mountain Goat 13.0 coming soon?lol!
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:18 am

Len911 wrote:Russell, windows 3.3?? :? Are you one of those senior citizens that insist on making their avatar their senior h.s. picture? lol!!

I was always a flip-flopper, I remember a windows version that used a lot of dos commands and floppies, I'm still running xp. I was afraid to upgrade to Vista. Russell do you purposefully upgrade only to the most scary versions?? :lol: :lol: It might be time to switch to a mac, isn't Mountain Goat 13.0 coming soon?lol!
Hehe! :lol: My first PC based "music" software was Cakewalk for DOS. That was back when UPS delivered on dinosaur back. I normally wait a generation to upgrade my OS so that I'm always one version behind. This time I skipped ahead. :ugeek: You were smart to stay away from Vista. I DO NOT recommend Vista. That OS is a pig. Win7 is much better, but it could take some "adapting," coming from XP.

I finally figured out that the new "Start" button/menu in Win8 is a whole screen's worth of stuff. I'm guessing Win8 is like this because of cross-platforming their stuff to the tablets and phones and all. I'm still having trouble finding all the usual settings and such. And Bill Gates not only moved the handle on this "fire extinguisher," but he decided I need to re-install all my programs... er... "apps" as they are now called.
Jim wrote:Microsoft should have done a much better job of joining metro and the desktop. Mostly it's like 2 disconnected user interfaces.
I agree. It reminds me of when Windows ran "under" DOS. You had to install DOS first, THEN Windows.

@caseyH Win7 upgrades can still be purchased. It might be worthwhile to stockpile a couple of those. I'm in the process of backing up my studio PC to upgrade from XP to Win7. I've tested Win7 on a laptop DAW and it seems to be very stable and TONS better than that pig Vista... and Win7 seems even better than XP for DAW processing headroom. Plus, XP drivers do not exist for some newer hardware. Microsoft is leaving Win7 at SP1 with no further development.

Like Magne said, it's all about "aligning" ourselves with the new interface. WE are required to adapt. Gotta see if I can download a 64bit Win8 driver for my brain... or save cells and get a Mac, eh, Andy?

Now let's see... there's gotta be a way to turn the Win8 GUI into something recognizable... maybe a "Retro" setting. ("Dated" if you are a screener :lol: )

Russell
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

Dwayne Russell
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Dwayne Russell » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:42 pm

Yep...W8 is meant for touch screens.