I'm Not There--Dylan

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

I'm Not There--Dylan

Post by jchitty » Thu May 29, 2008 1:47 pm

For months, I've wanted to see the movie, "I'm Not There"....the movie inspired by the life and songs of Dylan. It was in theaters in my area for only fifteen minutes, I believe. I just finished watching the DVD. At first, I HATED this movie. It was so convoluted, cerebral, artsy....just plain hard to understand. But eventually, things started to sink in. Six different actors play a stage in Dylan's life. They all have different names than Dylan, but they are all characters based on his early years, folk singer phase, his electric phase, born again preacher phase, etc.I've always loved Dylan, but I never quite got who he was in interviews...he is such an enigma. I got a better understanding of who he was after this film, even though Dylan is a man who didn't care if he was understood.....and maybe that's the way we should leave him. Cate Blanchett deserved an academy award for this part....she was nominated, but of course, she didn't receive it. She played Dylan (different name, but still Dylan) so authentically that she WAS Dylan. I'd imagine it would be hard part for a male actor to play, let alone a woman.Anyway, I'd give this move a thumbs up if you can get past some of the more confusing parts of it. I ended up liking it actually after a really fitful start.