Can beggars be choosers?

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cameron
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Can beggars be choosers?

Post by cameron » Fri May 16, 2008 3:25 am

If a song is recorded by a minor artist first does that mean a major label will no longer be interested in it? No doubt I'm a bit premature in thinking this way for my own material, but I have wondered if it is prudent for an unknown songwriter to accept any offer just to get their material out there. Or is it perhaps sometimes better to wait for a better deal from a more major artist/label? Thanks!

jmather
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Can beggars be choosers?

Post by jmather » Fri May 16, 2008 5:16 am

Hey Cameron - I'm still in the beginning stages of this business like you are, though I do have a couple of deals under my belt. I've learned that if you are offered a deal, research the company, let other people look over the terms (entertainment laywer) and if it feels like the right thing to do in your gut then do it. If you're a "minor" artist and you pass up a deal, you may be waiting years for that next deal to come around, whereas if you accept the initial deal, you're technically not a minor artist, as you say, anymore. Instead you're "published" or "signed." Also remember that rarely do you make enough money from one song or even 10 to live on. So, after that first deal, you start your next batch of songs and work on finding the next deal. Success in this business requires many small steps. Think in terms of small goals, small steps. Little by little you keep inching your way toward where you want to be.Just my .02.Justin

davekershaw
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davekershaw » Fri May 16, 2008 5:17 am

May 16, 2008, 6:25am, cameron wrote:is it perhaps sometimes better to wait for a better deal from a more major artist/label? Thanks!Hi Cameron.Good question.My guess would be that it depends on your track record.If you've already had signings, you might feel more confident about hanging in there for a better deal.In my case, looking for a first deal, I would find it hard to turn down that first offer.I'm sure plenty of others can give you more experienced advice.Cheers,Dave.

davekershaw
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davekershaw » Fri May 16, 2008 5:37 am

By the way; take a look at Matt Hirt's videos on Youtube.He gives some great advice on library submission, and, with regard to your question, when to start negotiating.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FguwMMsDZADave.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri May 16, 2008 5:41 am

A bird in the hand. If you hang on to your song right now in the hopes you'll get a better deal, you are shooting yourself in the foot. As long as it's a reasonable deal, accept it, get the music out there and get the credit. Assume you will write more & even better songs in the future. A major artist is unlikely to look at songs from an unknown songwriter with no credits anyway.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Fri May 16, 2008 5:43 am

Hey Cameron!Well, the boys up above are correct and I'll add this as well......if the song is something you think has a chance with a bigger name, or, in other words, the less-known singer's deal isn't going to do you much good (I think there's a post about this exact problem somewhere recently), you might wanna rethink it. Really, if you're not sure, you can always PM someone up the food chain on here with the details and get an opinion......guys I'm thinking of would be Dave Walton, Matto, Mazz, the ones who have lots of contract experience. Of course, an entertainment lawyer would be a very good choice too but not everyone has the $$ to afford that route. Might be worth it for a kick-azz tune tho.Good luck! Great question!

kg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kg » Fri May 16, 2008 6:05 am

Everyone's made some good points. An entirely different angle here, but if youre tempted to hang onto a song because you don't think you have another one [as good] in you, don't underestimate yourself. I'm all for trusting your gut along with seeking good legal advice.

milfus
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by milfus » Sun May 18, 2008 10:49 pm

I think if you have a problem producing songs you are proud of, thats the wrong question, the question is, how can you get to the point where if a major label hears and wants the first song, you are able to make a second or third or fourth one of that caliber. I think your focus should more on your ammo than saving your shots, but thats just me.
in the time of trumpets and guitars, there was an oboe

devin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by devin » Thu May 22, 2008 12:39 am

May 19, 2008, 1:49am, milfus wrote:I think your focus should more on your ammo than saving your shots, but thats just me.Nice.
Earplugs may be required for anyone over the age of cool.

Mark Kaufman
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Mark Kaufman » Fri May 23, 2008 4:32 am

Did you send your song to that minor, or did the minor find you?If you sent it...well, absolutely do it. Be true.If they came to you, find out how they found you!Seems like I'd go with it either way, provided they were legit. And I'm definitely in the camp that says your best song is just around the corner, so write like a mad bastard and never stop.