Lots of Rally Pluses, only one constructive comment

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

rdance
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Lots of Rally Pluses, only one constructive comment

Post by rdance » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:53 am

My first Rally, never seen anything like it. Favorite parts: Robin Fredericks presentation, so clear and practical; The spot-to-sync session and the Listening sessions, which allowed me to see how the music decision-makers actually think...quite an eye-opener! The main thing I learned, you never know who might like your song, so don't take anything personally, and just write write write, submit submit forget. I actually wrote an entire song in my hotel room on a break and met Clay Drayton, Motown writer in the 60's, who is going to critique it for me at a songwriting session he is doing in Phoenix in January. Met so many folks and made business connections at the Rally, and left fully inspired. By the way, all the Taxi Staff were extremely helpful...what a great organization. My only constructive comment: There should be a bell ringing every 15 minutes at the one-on-one mentor sessions. I only got like 5 minutes because prior sessions ran long. I'm sure this happened to a lot of members.

Richard Dance http://www.thecrawddady.bandcamp.com

jameskand

Re: Lots of Rally Pluses, only one constructive comment

Post by jameskand » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:02 pm

Yeah, i gave up over 10 mins myself. As an atendee you dont want to be rude and dump the person out of their chair, (they were probably late starting too). I also stuck tight to the time to let the guy get back on schedule. (said he'd listen to my soundcloud...we shall see)

Really i hated missing a class to stand in line, to then wait again hovering. This is a common problem. The only solution is to be the first of the day, or for Taxi to build in 5 minute buffers, with a bell. Very much a missed opportunity. Overall though the Taxi Rally is phenominal with a lot of planning and effort going into the rest of the convention. Great job to taxi staff.

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:54 am

The mentor sessions are crowded and I think Taxi does a good job all things considered. Don't forget about the drive by sessions that happen later at night. It's a great opportunity to talk with another mentor (sometimes the same one) and get more suggestions/comments. There's usually a wait, but it's not as crowded as the ones during the day. I came in late this year and didn't get an appointment but had a great session with the drive by mentor Friday night.

Cheers
K
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

wen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by wen » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:43 pm

Hiya richard

Nice to see you here :)

Wenda
wendawilliamson.com

rdance
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rdance » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:38 am

thanks everyone for comments. still learning how to use the forums and didn't realize i had responses. hi wenda the harpist!

crawdaddy
https://soundcloud.com/richard-dance-music