Rally or much needed Studio Equipment Purchase?

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

allen
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Rally or much needed Studio Equipment Purchase?

Post by allen » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:01 am

Do I go to the Rally or buy studio monitors that are desperately needed? I am in need of more sample libraries as well. I am not sure if going is the best use of my money if I can not deliver music that meets high industry standards. Standards are high for owning great sample libraries as an instrumental composer. I have had one music library offer to hear more of my work once I improve my sample collection. I have made some progress but their still are some weak spots in my collection. Mixing on my stereo speakers, not near field monitors, has been difficult.

As this would be my first Rally if I attend, I guess I am looking for input from others who may have been in similar situations and went to the Road Rally anyway. I would like to learn from their experience. Meeting the dots, great classes, professional insight as well as contacts from everyone on the business side of things seems obvious as the upside to going to the Rally. Having all this needful information and not more of the necessary equipment would be frustrating. Especially as it is taking me a long time to save up for the equipment. At the moment I am leaning towards purchasing the equipment. Any thoughts?

Allen

jrkocian
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Rally or much needed Studio Equipment Purchase?

Post by jrkocian » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:49 am

Allen,
Hi. I'd like to address your question.

Last year was my first Rally, and I joined TAXI before flying out to LA for the Rally. I understand your quandary, and would like to offer my opinion.

Yes, you are correct in saying that the Rally offers tremendous upside. But it's more that the contacts and information that make it great.

The inspiration that comes from associating with other aspiring writers/producers/artists is hard to quantify. Furthermore, much of what you learn at the Rally is timeless. Songwriting tips, and writing great songs will never change. Sure, the form or function evolves, but at the core of it all great songwriting is timeless.

Studio speakers, music libraries, etc. evolve so quickly that if you skip the rally this year to upgrade, by next year it will be time to upgrade AGAIN and you'll be in the same situation,

My advice to you is to shore up the foundation (writing) before updating the aesthetics (gear).

Hope this helps!

Regards,
James Kocian

jazzstan
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jazzstan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:36 am

Allen,
From your note, it sounds like you really know the answer to you question - YES, go to the Rally!

As I see it, it's kinda like flying... you need good vertical distance (what "gear" does for ya)... but it really helps to have forward momentum (inspiration, motivation, contacts, knowledge, perspective, ideas). Which comes first? Chances are you can accomplish good things with the gear you have. It might not be exactly what you WANT to accomplish musically right now, and sure, of course there are more, better, greater and different things you COULD do with more gear. But VTOL aircraft (vertical takeoff / landing) require very expensive equipment and consume huge amounts of energy. So... yes, come to the Rally. Gear is replaceable, inspiration is not.
Last edited by jazzstan on Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigbluebarry
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by bigbluebarry » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:52 am

hey Allen,

I can relate to your situation. I was at a similar crossroads in 2008. I decided to put the equipment on hold and invest the money into a trip to the Rally instead. I'm so glad I did. It truly is impossible to put into words the overall experience of the Rally. But I understand your concerns, especially if you know that you have areas that you need to upgrade in.

One thing you could do while you're at the Rally would be to go to some of the tech classes that are usually taught be Fett or Ronan Chris Murphy. Both of those guys are not only incredibly talented and know what they're talking about, they're also great people. I believe they also will booths set up (they have the last couple of years) where you can go and talk to them and ask questions, get advice... So while I understand your desire/need to upgrade, you may be able to get some advice from them on how to make the most of what you've already got. Just a thought.

When it all comes down to it, only you know what decision is truly the right one for you to make.

hth,
-Big Blue
Imagine a steel cage match between Daughtry, Coldplay, Paramore and Demon Hunter with Joe Satriani as the referee...

http://www.taxi.com/bigbluebarry
http://www.bigbluebarry.com
http://www.twitter.com/bigbluebarry

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:00 pm

Mazz reminds us it's the ear, not the gear. Invest in what's between your ears, and you'll get better stuff from the gear ya got.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

bete
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bete » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:40 pm

Allen, you will also get to see some of the latest gear available from vendors. (Some of them also conduct classes.) And you can sign up for drawings for all sorts of useful tools.

I know nothing about the gear but I think you can trust the members who do to know what they're talking about when they encourage you to go to the rally.
Bette

allen
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by allen » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:34 pm

Thanks for everyone's advice. I have decided to attend the rally.
i am looking forward to it.

Allen

bigbluebarry
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by bigbluebarry » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:46 pm

Great decision Allen :-)

This is just my 2 cents, but I think the next step for you (after you actually register, book your flight, hotel room, etc...) is to plan out your itinerary for the Rally BEFORE you show up to the Rally. You can do this as soon as Micheal and the rest of the staff release the actual schedule.

The reason I suggest doing this before hand is because quite honestly, the first time you go to the Rally it can be an overwhelming experience. Now, just because you plan out everything in advance does not mean that you have to stick to that plan. But by having a plan in place before you get there, it will help you maximize your time and efforts to really focus in on the things that will be of most interest and benefit to you. I imagine that the schedule will be getting released sometime in the next couple of weeks, if not sooner, so you should have plenty of time to look it over and get a feel for what panels and classes you would like to attend.

Looking forward to meeting you!

-Big Blue
Imagine a steel cage match between Daughtry, Coldplay, Paramore and Demon Hunter with Joe Satriani as the referee...

http://www.taxi.com/bigbluebarry
http://www.bigbluebarry.com
http://www.twitter.com/bigbluebarry

allen
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by allen » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:10 pm

Great advice Big Blue. Congratulations on the recent write up in the news letter. I look forward to meeting you and all the other dots as well.

Allen

allen
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by allen » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:46 pm

The Rally was worth passing on the studio equipment. I got some advice from another taxi member at the Rally that led to some placements with a music library. Thanks Kevin. A little more than a year after the Rally, one of the compositions landed on an ABC show.

Allen