Band listing question

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Bjamison

Band listing question

Post by Bjamison » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:56 am

As a solo artist, is it OK for me to submit to "BAND" listings? my productions are full band...and it just so happens I have a band in my pocket when needed. And much of my writing is a collaboration with those guys. However, I am technically a solo artist. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Band listing question

Post by Casey H » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:13 am

Bjamison wrote:As a solo artist, is it OK for me to submit to "BAND" listings? my productions are full band...and it just so happens I have a band in my pocket when needed. And much of my writing is a collaboration with those guys. However, I am technically a solo artist. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!
Hi B
It depends on exactly what the listing is looking for which you can tell from the wording used.

If it's for film/TV where they want a full band SOUND, yes you definitely can submit. If it is a label looking to sign BANDS similar to (for example) Blink-182, The All American Rejects, etc... well then no unless you are specifically pitching you and your guys as a band entity... Sometimes a listing will say "artists or bands" and that would be OK.

If you give us some samples of the listings you are thinking about and more details as to how you work with your collaborators, we might be able to shed more light.

Best,
:D Casey

Bjamison

Re: Band listing question

Post by Bjamison » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:53 am

Thanks Casey,

Yeah, it's kind of a complex situation. I'll try to explain as succinctly as possible.

First, I'm a Christian Contemporary artist. The specific listing I'm talking about is a label looking for Bands that sound like such and such, etc... Well, I sound like those bands and it just so happens I could be a band with a few quick phone calls.

These guys I'm talking about are guys I grew up doing this with...actually It is my brother and my cousin. We spent most of our late teens and early twenties touring around the country and playing shows. We wrote everything together, and recorded several records. Time passed, we all got married and had children, and things slowed down as a band when other responsibilities took precedence (your typical story). So now, I'm a worship director at my Church, I'm writing CCM and worship songs, and playing some solo gigs. Those guys are part of my worship team at Church, and they are the ones I call when I need a band for a particular show.

They are also still involved in the songwriting. We don't have the ability to spend hours together writing anymore like we once did. so what actually happens, is I will write a song and produce it to the guitar, bass, drums level. I will send it to my brother, who gives me suggestions and adds the ear candy (strings, keys, synth etc...), and then I send it to my cousin who re-programs or re-records the drums so they make sense for an actual drummer (He's an amazingly skilled drummer). I also have a bass player that I bring in for shows...He's not as involved in the writing process yet, but he's a good friend.

So...all that to say, we are not technically a band right now. I am a solo act. But If I got a record deal and needed a band, they would be there in a heart beat.

Does this make sense?

Thanks!
Brandon