West Coast Songwriter Competition

Got a gig? Looking to Gig? Post it up!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

West Coast Songwriter Competition

Post by nomiyah » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:59 pm

Many of you already know I co-manage the West Coast Songwriter Competition in Berkeley, California. I want to invite Bay Area Taxi friends to come by sometime. It's at the legendary Freight and Salvage every month on a Monday, the next one is on 2/11/08.Here's how it works. The competition is held at venues on the west coast from Los Angeles to Seattle. Each city has a monthly event with industry judges. Songwriters perform one or two songs with 2 winners each time. Best Song wins 3 hours of recording studio time. Best Performance wins 10 blank CDs.The competition starts in October and runs through June. In July, all the monthly winners have a play off to decide who is the finalist. In August, the finals are held with the winners from all the venues. Finalists are featured on a compilation CD and in a concert.Anyone can come to an event for $5. You can only compete if you are a member of West Coast Songwriters, if there are open slots, non-members can perform but not compete. Any style of music is welcome.Hope to see you. If you make it, please find me and say hello.Nomi

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: West Coast Songwriter Competition

Post by nomiyah » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:01 pm

Next event is Monday 2/11/08 and the inside scoop is that Steve Seskin will be one of the judges. Judges give written feedback so it'll be a chance to find out what a very successful songwriter thinks of your song. See you there?

ddusty
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ddusty » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:56 pm

Quote: I want to invite Bay Area Taxi friends to come by sometime.I'd love to, but I'm on the wrong bay! (Tampa Bay)

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:50 pm

Quote:[quote author=nomiyah board=gigs thread=1201679953 post=1201679953] I want to invite Bay Area Taxi friends to come by sometime.I'd love to, but I'm on the wrong bay! (Tampa Bay) [/quoteYou are warmer than me

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:53 pm

Yesterday was a great event. Steve Seskin and Natasha Miller were the judges. Steve gave me an 8 (on a scale of 10) for my lyrics on "She Hugged Him".

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:45 pm

Tomorrow, Monday March 24, is the next WCS competition at the Freight & Salvage in Berkeley. I'll be there since I'm still managing the event. So if you attend, make sure you say hi to me.

vicky
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by vicky » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:58 pm

cool...I'll try to make it... vtbp

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:44 pm

It was a good night. For the first time since I've been doing it (in my second year), there wasn't a full house. That means everyone got to do 2 songs instead of 1.Didn't see you there Vicky, maybe next time.Speaking of the next time, next month will be April 21st. That's also my birthday so I'm going to bring my cake there to share. You are all invited.Especially you, Von, since we have the same birthday, I strongly doubt you'll travel from SoCal to NorCal but it never hurts to be invited.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:51 pm

Monday April 21st is the next competition at the Freight and Salvage (Berkeley, CA).Come by and have some birthday cake.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Wed May 21, 2008 9:47 am

Whoops, forgot to post the last event. It was Monday 5/19 and was good show.Two of the judges were from a music library. Turns out I had 3 songs forwarded to them by Taxi over a year ago. Since I manage the WCS Competition, I was in the position of talking to them throughout the evening. But because of Taxi, I had an already established credit.Thank you Taxi. I could have got there without you, but it was easier to catch a cab!!!!!!!Next show is Monday June 23rd. This is the last competition of the 2007-2008 season. That means, last chance to win this year.How it works: All 9 winners of Best Song are eligible to compete in the Semi-Finals July 21st. The winner of the Semi-Final will compete in the Finals August 24th with the winners from all the other venues on the West Coast and be on the annual compilation CD. Those who know Sara Bareilles, she's on the 2004 CD, before she was known. Then the winner of the Finals performs with an illustrious line-up at the WCS Conference in September.