What's the difference betweem #Y000000 and #U000000 ?

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: What's the difference betweem #Y000000 and #U000000 ?

Post by hummingbird » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Casey H wrote:This may not be the full answer but this is what I know. Maybe admin will come on and explain better.

The "Y" designation has been around for many years as "YES/NO", no review. Even the checkboxes and optional comment box didn't exists early on, YES or NO was just that- no explanation. Taxi added the checkboxes and comment box later on. A MUCH appreciated addition. :D

A few years back, Taxi started sending out "special" listings, with somewhat more immediate need, outside of the normal 2x a month listings. I think these were the origin of the "U" designation, though I'm not sure what "U" stand for. Something with "un-", probably. Contrary to some people's belief, it does not stand for "un-forwardable". :lol: (That was a joke).

I do know it doesn't stand for "ubiquitous". :lol:

;) Casey
In my scientific research on this phenomenon, I carefully correlated, examined, and made note of those listings that were S, D, Y and U. I could find no definitive relationship between the non-Y listings, such as U, and the non-regular listings that are not D listings but are distributed between the normal distribution at the 15th and 30th/31st/28th.

8-)
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

HowlingUlf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by HowlingUlf » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:46 pm

D as in dispatch?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:51 pm

HowlingUlf wrote:D as in dispatch?
Yes, D is for Dispatch. :D

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:40 am

AHA!!!! :!: :!:

After seeing a U listing come in email with a three-day turnaround I think I've got it figured out.

S=Standard Listing
D=Dispatch Listing
Y=Yes/No Listing
U=Urgent Listing

:o

Russell
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:53 am

I think you may have cracked the code here, Russell! :D
Russell Landwehr wrote:AHA!!!! :!: :!:

After seeing a U listing come in email with a three-day turnaround I think I've got it figured out.

S=Standard Listing
D=Dispatch Listing
Y=Yes/No Listing
U=Urgent Listing

Russell

HowlingUlf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by HowlingUlf » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:50 am

Casey H wrote:I think you may have cracked the code here, Russell! :D
Russell Landwehr wrote:AHA!!!! :!: :!:

S=Standard Listing
D=Dispatch Listing
Y=Yes/No Listing
U=Urgent Listing

Russell
Yeah! Gold star to Russel 8-) ...
:?
... until Michael comes back after the weekend and ruins everything with the THRUTH haha! :mrgreen:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:16 am

Russell is close!

S= Screened (full critique) - More record label oriented because their deadlines are longer.

Y = Yes/No, which for a while had NO feedback, but then I had the staff add SOME feedback so members knew why they weren't forwarded.

U = Urgent. Shorter deadlines, typically. Sometimes used as an attention getting thing as well because the listing is really juicy. We over-used the U designation a couple years ago, and have used it more sparingly lately - not that it makes any difference to our members or their forwards.

D = Dispatch, which 15 years ago was reserved for urgent, very short turn around film and TV listings, but then the industry shifted to largely film/TV and most deadlines shortened considerably, across the board. Remember when most TAXI listings were 30 days, 60 days, or 90 days? As the industry shifted its focus, we found that our Dispatch members desired music library listings over music supe listings. They felt they were easier to land and the opportunities were often for more than just one song. Statistically, it's probably a good bet that Dispatch members land more deals. These days, Dispatch listings are often from libraries who wake up and discover, "Holy crap, our orchestrals (or whatever genre) are really dated (or weak), and we need a bunch of fresh stuff in a relative hurry" - meaning; not growing/freshening up that genre by one or two tracks at a time, but rather by dozens of new tracks at a time. When a genre gets hot and they get a lot of requests but not placements, they hit the panic button and run Dispatches. Members get signed, new music gets pitched, editors are happy to hear something fresh, everybody wins.

BTW, the libraries don't really care or know about our designations like Dispatch or not. We just make it simple for them by asking when they need it in THEIR hands. We estimate the number of submissions we'll get, choose the right screeners, check their availability, and set the screening schedule to make sure we can hit the deadline.

BTW, that's why we do more short critiques these days. The faster we get the music to the listing companies, the more stuff gets signed. Trying to balance our members' desire for in-depth feedback with increasing their chances of getting signed is a balance we shoot for every time we take in a new listing request.

Back to my family. It's Sunday. Honey-do list more than actual family time ;-)

Over and out,
Michael

HowlingUlf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by HowlingUlf » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:59 am

Ah, so that's the TRUTH?
Not that bad after all ... gold star to Michael as well!
Thanks for the info! 8-)