1:1 Mentors - Who do you want? Who do I want?

From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

SKM
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

1:1 Mentors - Who do you want? Who do I want?

Post by SKM » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:28 am

Hey everyone! It is my first RR and I am researching all of the mentors at the moment. Here is what I'm hoping to hear from all of you----

Who is your first choice and why? I'm trying to figure out how to determine who I want to sit with for 15 minutes.

What kind of questions are you dying to ask your potential mentor? Or is it just to get them to hear your music? I'm trying to plan, but 15 minutes isn't very long right?

Anyway - Would love to open up some conversations on this topic and really see if this thread could help other people plan out their 15 min as well as help me do the same! Let's talk about mentors!!

Thanks - Can't wait to meet everyone I can!
SKM_Music
Sara K. Marsalis

Singer/Songwriter; Musician; Music "Passionier" ;) Studying recording engineering and production

www.soundcloud.com/SKM-Music
www.instagram.com/SKM_Music

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: 1:1 Mentors - Who do you want? Who do I want?

Post by Tunesmith » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi Sarah,

I asked a similar question last year and if you do a search for "What does one ask a mentor one on one?" in the Rally Open Topic you will see many helpful replies.

Basically look to find a mentor who represents you style of music or one that is in a library that represents opportunities you would like to write for. I am finding the Mentor Specialties reference quite helpful!

See you there!
Linda C

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:58 pm

+1 to what Linda said.

Do your research and figure out who would be best for YOU. Last year I got the mentor I wanted, and it was incredible. Absolutely. I chose to sit down with a music supervisor who has worked on MANY episodes of the shows I pitch to. Getting their insight was priceless.

My plan, personally, is to choose someone who I otherwise would not have access to. There are many names on the mentor list that are very rare opportunities to get their time, others are Taxi vets that are much more accessible and willing to give you their time outside of that 15 minute window, FWIW. Now to state the obvious - that doesn't mean if they're a taxi vet it's not worth your time, or that you can just expect their time at any given moment. Just playing the odds.

Maybe a Taxi vet would be the best mentor for you, someone who has been through this and can either give you great feedback on your music or maybe give you some insight and things to look out for and priceless advice for the journey ahead. Or, if you feel your music is at the bar and ready to sign and you see a library owner you'd like to sign with, maybe go that route. Library owners are always busy and incredibly swamped with music - this is your chance to have 15 minutes of their undivided attention, give them your absolute best music that is appropriate for THEIR needs and their clients. Do your research if that's the case.

I could go on, but you see my point :)

I'd also recommend checking out the post Linda mentioned, but there's my additional 2 cents. Here's that post: what-does-one-ask-a-mentor-one-on-one-t139381.html

Kudos to you for going to your first rally! Last year was my first, and it was life changing to say the least. You're going to LOVE it. Such an amazing place willed with amazing people.

SKM
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SKM » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:52 pm

Thank You Linda and Mark!

I had the most wonderful experience at the RR this weekend! Got great feedback and made it a point to research almost every single 1:1 - So I knew what they looked like and then went and spoke with people all over the hotel when I saw them just hanging out or at a booth.

Everyone was so wonderful!

Sara
SKM_Music
Sara K. Marsalis

Singer/Songwriter; Musician; Music "Passionier" ;) Studying recording engineering and production

www.soundcloud.com/SKM-Music
www.instagram.com/SKM_Music