1 year in - 10 step “strategy” for dealing with returns

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

chrismh99

1 year in - 10 step “strategy” for dealing with returns

Post by chrismh99 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:41 am

I have been a Taxi member since January 2018 and have just renewed my membership for a second year as well as upgrading to dispatch. I thought I would share this 10 step “strategy” for dealing with returns I have been through over this last year.

1. Open the taxi listings results with excitement
2. See the word the ‘return’ and read the critique
3. Decide that the screeners hate my music, it’s all terrible and I should give up.
4. Relay the above to my wife
5. My wife reads the critique
6. She points out that it’s not all bad and that there are some positive comments and recommendations
7. I reluctantly re-read the critique and grudgingly agree that she might possibly be right
8. Study the critique in more detail and think about how to improve the cue in light of this
9. Work on revised or new cue.
10. Submit to new listing

Following some trial and error, I’m managing to jump straight to step 8. Although there are still times when I’m at step 3.
Interestingly the more I do steps 8-10 the more forwards I seem to get 😊

After exploring a variety of styles I have focused on a couple of areas where I have better feedback.
I’ve just had a couple of cues forwarded from my first dispatch listing “D190120SP -SOMBER SOLO PIANO INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a U.K.-based Music Library that's using TAXI as its primary resource for a large-scale catalog expansion.”

Now to turn those forwards into deals. I guess the only way to do that is keep writing more music and get better at it.

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Re: 1 year in - 10 step “strategy” for dealing with returns

Post by MBantle » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:41 am

chrismh99 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:41 am
I have been a Taxi member since January 2018 and have just renewed my membership for a second year as well as upgrading to dispatch. I thought I would share this 10 step “strategy” for dealing with returns I have been through over this last year.

3. Decide that the screeners hate my music, it’s all terrible and I should give up.
6. She points out that it’s not all bad and that there are some positive comments and recommendations
7. I reluctantly re-read the critique and grudgingly agree that she might possibly be right
8. Study the critique in more detail and think about how to improve the cue in light of this

Following some trial and error, I’m managing to jump straight to step 8. Although there are still times when I’m at step 3.

After exploring a variety of styles I have focused on a couple of areas where I have better feedback.
I’ve just had a couple of cues forwarded from my first dispatch listing “D190120SP -SOMBER SOLO PIANO INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a U.K.-based Music Library that's using TAXI as its primary resource for a large-scale catalog expansion.”

Now to turn those forwards into deals. I guess the only way to do that is keep writing more music and get better at it.
Hi Chris!
I really liked your summary :) Very good points! What I find difficult is to go back to stuff that got rejected and refine it. I have this 'can't step into the same river twice' thing going and rather like to write something new instead... After having joined Taxi for the second time, I now write a lot more than I used to and I somehow found a way to get rid of that 'the next song must be THE song!' approach I used to have, which I find very healthy.
Anyway, it is always great to hear these personal stories - really motivating. All the best!
Cheers,
Matt

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:42 am

MBantle wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:41 am
chrismh99 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:41 am

Hi Chris!
I really liked your summary :) Very good points! What I find difficult is to go back to stuff that got rejected and refine it. I have this 'can't step into the same river twice' thing going and rather like to write something new instead... After having joined Taxi for the second time, I now write a lot more than I used to and I somehow found a way to get rid of that 'the next song must be THE song!' approach I used to have.
Anyway, it is always great to hear these personal stories - really motivating. All the best!
Cheers,
Matt

ComposerLDG
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ComposerLDG » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:12 pm

Good points, Chris. Congratulations on the forwards!
Loren DiGiorgi
Uniquely piano-inspired Orchestral | Tension | Hybrid | Trailer
lorendigiorgi.com
www.taxi.com/lorendigiorgi
www.soundcloud.com/ldigiorgi
YouTube
Instagram

ochaim
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ochaim » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:50 pm

along with addressing the suggestions from the feedback, hearing what got forwarded for your listing on the taxi forwards blog will also help guide your efforts.

http://blog.taxi.com/forward/

TuKatz
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by TuKatz » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:07 pm

So, it sounds like you are blaming your wife for your returns by skipping directly to step 8???? (Just Kidding---LOL!!!!) Actually, my wife is a great sounding board on my cues, her input is quite valuable.

In all reality though, I have also started doing what you are doing and just focusing on a couple of Genres (right now mostly Orchestral Tension Cues). What is great about this strategy is that you can build up a little library of cues in one style quite quickly (I am trying to compose 2-3 a week part time) instead of running around like a chicken with your head cut-off chasing different styles all at once. I love your strategy, keep running with it, you will get there, before too long Michael will be interviewing you at the Road Rally. :D

chrismh99

Post by chrismh99 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:47 pm

Thanks for all the comments. Nice to know others are in the same kind of place.