100th Placement

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: 100th Placement

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:10 am

gitanosoy wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:22 am
Oh.....and Aston Villa. :lol:
Above all else !

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:23 am

CTWF wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:36 am
Congratulations, Mark!

And be kind to those who think it's not worth it and who therefore have a more hobby-ish approach. ;)

Tom
Thanks Tom - unfortunately you're competing with professionals. The Screeners- Libraries - Music Supervisors and Editors that place the music use the same criteria to judge your tracks as everyone else's, there's no special dispensation given just because you deem it a hobby. You're still held to the same standards at each step.

Mark

YoungManTerrell
Active
Active

Post by YoungManTerrell » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:35 am

Hey Mark,

I truly hope things are bright your way and/or getting brighter ( You haven't took the England Football game to heart, that is. You have not shut away from society. ). Tell Helen and your gentleman of a dog, Terrell sent an howdy!

-Terrell Beckless

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:25 pm

Hey congrats on the achievement Mark! And I hear you loud and clear.

Though I'm mostly going the vocal route I totally agree with your definition of the "5 year plan". 5 years in is certainly not a point where most of us will be able to quit our day job. It's more a point where you should clearly start to see the fruits of your labor. And with what the pandemic has done to production schedules it's a wonder anyone is getting new placements. If these variants keep coming we'll be talking a 10 year plan. Best of luck to you man!
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

markanthony

Post by markanthony » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:59 pm

So wait. Help me understand this. That is a lot of work into 5 years, and only £1,947.07 came out of it? That doesn't sound encouraging :-(

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:28 pm

markanthony wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:59 pm
So wait. Help me understand this. That is a lot of work into 5 years, and only £1,947.07 came out of it? That doesn't sound encouraging :-(
Correct. It is a lot of work. Whether it's encouraging or discouraging depends on your own viewpoint. Some would say it's paying your dues, others may think it's too much work. I have posted 4yr and 5yr updates previously and am always transparent so you can look those posts up if you want to see more of a breakdown.

As I've mentioned I've had a lot more placements so far this year but I won't see those royalties for 2 years as that's how long it takes to reach PRS from GEMA. I've also not been paid my international royalties from a bunch of placements going back over 2-3 yrs which I'm trying to sort out with my PRO and the Library.

Mark

markanthony

Post by markanthony » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:32 pm

thanks for the explanation. Depends on viewpoint indeed, and it sets expectations for me and gets me to look at my purpose of doing it all. I will look for your other updates. I didn't know it can take that long for the money to trickle down.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:29 am

markanthony wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:32 pm
thanks for the explanation. Depends on viewpoint indeed, and it sets expectations for me and gets me to look at my purpose of doing it all. I will look for your other updates. I didn't know it can take that long for the money to trickle down.
A lot of things need to happen before you even see a penny.

1. Write the music
2. Have it accepted by the Library
3. Upload the Alt mixes -Stems - Metadata etc
4. Wait for it to be processed - published - registered & released by the Library ( I've waited anything between a couple of weeks to over a year )
5. Hope for a placement - this has happened as quickly as a month after the track has been released to as long as 5 years later ( one of this month's placements was a 2016 Taxi return )
6. Keep everything crossed that the production company has filed the cue sheet correctly - mistakes seem to be rife in the industry
7. Wait for the money to show up in your PRO statement - Because 'm a Brit and all my placements have been in other countries ( US & Germany mostly ) this can take 1-2 yrs

All of this is assuming that at Stage 1 the music is up to a good licensable standard. Mine was fairly ready at the time of joining ( 18 submissions - 9 Forwards in the first two months ) and there are 5 placements now from those initial 18 tracks. Some people have a way to go and can't get to stage 2 without a big learning curve so it's all relative.

Mark

songmaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by songmaster » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:36 am

Congrats Mark! That is a great accomplishment! I look at music making this way. Some people pay a great deal of money to play golf. I do the same for music. It is my recreation. Still waiting for that "hole in one" :lol: Keep up the great work.

Tom

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:54 am

songmaster wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:36 am
Congrats Mark! That is a great accomplishment! I look at music making this way. Some people pay a great deal of money to play golf. I do the same for music. It is my recreation. Still waiting for that "hole in one" :lol: Keep up the great work.
Thanks Tom, it's a good outlook - I am hopeless at Golf :o so I try to stick to things I have at least some chance of being competitive with :lol: .