100th Placement

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: 100th Placement

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:08 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:54 pm
We've spoken about it many times, but do have you any sage advice for those (not me) still holding the dream of the much fabled '5-year plan'? Does it even have any relevance any more?
I'm not really sure " The 5 Year Plan " exists other than as a Taxi marketing term - As I understand it from watching many Taxi TV episodes it was first mooted by successful Taxi Member Matt Hirt along the lines of " you can't be expecting to make money from this in 3 months , you need more like a 5yr plan "...I don't think anyone ever laid out an actual plan. It was just a way of explaining how slow moving the business is and how long it can take to earn anything.

I do get the feeling that somewhere along the way it morphed into more of a " quit day your job in 5 years " type pipe dream which is obviously attractive to many but I only know of a very talented and hardworking few that have achieved this.

For the rest of us Matt Hirt's advice rings true that the business moves at such glacial pace that even after a year or two it's probably not going to make much of a dent and it's certainly been my experience.

It's only during this , my 6th year that I feel like I've achieved some kind of momentum but I've seen other people hit the ground running who make amazing music from the get go who are way ahead of me on the curve. On the flip side I hear many tracks from folks who are so far below the bar they may never make it.

So how long your "plan" is , is mostly down to you and your abilities ( or lack thereof ) - partly down to "luck" - and ultimately down to what you hope to get out of it.

Mark
Last edited by cosmicdolphin on Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:10 am

gitanosoy wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:22 am
Oh.....and Aston Villa. :lol:
Above all else !

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:23 am

CTWF wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:36 am
Congratulations, Mark!

And be kind to those who think it's not worth it and who therefore have a more hobby-ish approach. ;)

Tom
Thanks Tom - unfortunately you're competing with professionals. The Screeners- Libraries - Music Supervisors and Editors that place the music use the same criteria to judge your tracks as everyone else's, there's no special dispensation given just because you deem it a hobby. You're still held to the same standards at each step.

Mark

YoungManTerrell
Active
Active

Post by YoungManTerrell » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:35 am

Hey Mark,

I truly hope things are bright your way and/or getting brighter ( You haven't took the England Football game to heart, that is. You have not shut away from society. ). Tell Helen and your gentleman of a dog, Terrell sent an howdy!

-Terrell Beckless

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:25 pm

Hey congrats on the achievement Mark! And I hear you loud and clear.

Though I'm mostly going the vocal route I totally agree with your definition of the "5 year plan". 5 years in is certainly not a point where most of us will be able to quit our day job. It's more a point where you should clearly start to see the fruits of your labor. And with what the pandemic has done to production schedules it's a wonder anyone is getting new placements. If these variants keep coming we'll be talking a 10 year plan. Best of luck to you man!

markanthony

Post by markanthony » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:59 pm

So wait. Help me understand this. That is a lot of work into 5 years, and only £1,947.07 came out of it? That doesn't sound encouraging :-(

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:28 pm

markanthony wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:59 pm
So wait. Help me understand this. That is a lot of work into 5 years, and only £1,947.07 came out of it? That doesn't sound encouraging :-(
Correct. It is a lot of work. Whether it's encouraging or discouraging depends on your own viewpoint. Some would say it's paying your dues, others may think it's too much work. I have posted 4yr and 5yr updates previously and am always transparent so you can look those posts up if you want to see more of a breakdown.

As I've mentioned I've had a lot more placements so far this year but I won't see those royalties for 2 years as that's how long it takes to reach PRS from GEMA. I've also not been paid my international royalties from a bunch of placements going back over 2-3 yrs which I'm trying to sort out with my PRO and the Library.

Mark

markanthony

Post by markanthony » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:32 pm

thanks for the explanation. Depends on viewpoint indeed, and it sets expectations for me and gets me to look at my purpose of doing it all. I will look for your other updates. I didn't know it can take that long for the money to trickle down.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:29 am

markanthony wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:32 pm
thanks for the explanation. Depends on viewpoint indeed, and it sets expectations for me and gets me to look at my purpose of doing it all. I will look for your other updates. I didn't know it can take that long for the money to trickle down.
A lot of things need to happen before you even see a penny.

1. Write the music
2. Have it accepted by the Library
3. Upload the Alt mixes -Stems - Metadata etc
4. Wait for it to be processed - published - registered & released by the Library ( I've waited anything between a couple of weeks to over a year )
5. Hope for a placement - this has happened as quickly as a month after the track has been released to as long as 5 years later ( one of this month's placements was a 2016 Taxi return )
6. Keep everything crossed that the production company has filed the cue sheet correctly - mistakes seem to be rife in the industry
7. Wait for the money to show up in your PRO statement - Because 'm a Brit and all my placements have been in other countries ( US & Germany mostly ) this can take 1-2 yrs

All of this is assuming that at Stage 1 the music is up to a good licensable standard. Mine was fairly ready at the time of joining ( 18 submissions - 9 Forwards in the first two months ) and there are 5 placements now from those initial 18 tracks. Some people have a way to go and can't get to stage 2 without a big learning curve so it's all relative.

Mark

songmaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by songmaster » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:36 am

Congrats Mark! That is a great accomplishment! I look at music making this way. Some people pay a great deal of money to play golf. I do the same for music. It is my recreation. Still waiting for that "hole in one" :lol: Keep up the great work.

Tom