1st submission and review

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JimmiO

Re: 1st submission and review

Post by JimmiO » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:11 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:30 pm
You've already got some great advice here, all in the spirit of being positive and helpful. I agree with all that's been said but would like to add just a few more comments (based on only being able to find the barely audible 2nd and 3rd refs). Those refs seem to have very basic acoustic guitar chord structures and simple (almost child-like) and unobtrusive melodies using a uke or something similar, then the perky drums are supportive, maybe with claps to emphasise the upbeat feel, and I can hear in your submission that you were aiming at those things. However, the two acoustic parts are competing with each other for attention, whereas it would help to have one stick to chords and the other (or a different instrument) play a simple melody. Ideally, the drums should then support and compliment the guitar parts, perhaps with syncopation, but not feel like they're joining the fight. All the parts should work together, like a team (or a band) rather than individuals just playing at the same time :). Also, reverb helps to impart a sense of space and separation but be careful not to make things sound like they're at the back of the room.

I hope that helps a bit more, but I realise that all this feedback can be a lot to take in and respond to, and maybe somewhat overwhelming. Therefore, take it easy and at your own pace, and it'll start to come together. Good luck.
Thank you and again all good advice. After listening to it again a couple more times, I also realized I used to much reverb in the mix. I also just watched a clip from Taxi tv with the head screener on drum programing. Is this a listing that would require live acoustic drums? Like I said in my other reply I only have an Alesis DM10 electric kit and the EZ drummer 3 software ( standard kit , metal kit, and jazz kit ez packs ) or the standard kit from steinberg groove agent.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:06 pm

Based on listening to the chewy commercial, and being somewhat familiar with the "happy, acoustic" genre, I'd think you could use handclaps, shaker, and woodblock (or similar hand percussion-type instruments) from your drum machine and leave it at that. I don't hear a full kit in the ref track. Making a change like that would go along way to keeping the track from being too busy. I also agree with the other comments. All good advice, and actionable!

JimmiO

Post by JimmiO » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:18 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:06 pm
Based on listening to the chewy commercial, and being somewhat familiar with the "happy, acoustic" genre, I'd think you could use handclaps, shaker, and woodblock (or similar hand percussion-type instruments) from your drum machine and leave it at that. I don't hear a full kit in the ref track. Making a change like that would go along way to keeping the track from being too busy. I also agree with the other comments. All good advice, and actionable!
Thank you for the reply. Yeah that sounds like a great suggestion on using less percussion elements and just using claps and shakers etc. I think the drum fills are making it too busy. I put in the fills to try and eliminate the possibility of being to repetitive. I am learning and aware that less is more in this type of music. I will keep working on things and continue to watch the Taxi TV and viewing the forums here.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun May 01, 2022 5:22 am

Haven't read the whole thread so I might be repeating what others have said but the main thing I am picking up on :

Parts are all competing instead of supporting each other - so this is more of a composition issue , simpler is usually better for sync

Guitar sounds is not very nice - Sounds like a DI , which gives it that fake kind of vibe

Drums are not up to scratch - Glancing through the thread you mention EZdrummer which I know is commonly used by other library music writers so perhaps it's the kit selection and mixing that needs work

Mark
Last edited by cosmicdolphin on Sun May 01, 2022 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JimmiO

Post by JimmiO » Sun May 01, 2022 10:26 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 5:22 am
Haven't read the whoe thread so I might be repeating what others have said buit the main thing I am picking up on :

Parts are all competing instead of supporting each other - so this is more of a composition issue , simpler is usually better for sync

Guitar sounds is not very nice - Sounds like a DI , which gives it that fake kind of vibe

Drums are not up to scratch - Glancing through the thread you mention EZ drummer which I know is commonly used by other library music writers so perhaps it's the kit selection and mixing that needs work

Mark
Thank you for the Reply. You did repeat some stuff but that is ok still good to hear your take on it. Yes the guitar was run straight to my interface which I know now should not be done for acoustic. It is also good to hear that others are using EZ Drummer software I just need to get better at choosing right kits and know how to tweak them to sound more realistic. Again , I am very appreciative of everyone's input and suggestions. The listing is over but I am going to work on this for the next time something similar comes up.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun May 01, 2022 12:06 pm

JimmiO wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 10:26 am
The listing is over but I am going to work on this for the next time something similar comes up.
Personally I would park this cue and start over on something else...you'll probably listen back to it in 6 months and wonder what you were thinking ( then you'll know you're progressing )

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun May 01, 2022 12:59 pm

Many times I was focused on something that I felt was wrong in a production-- vocal too sibilant, levels not right, misc. other issue, etc. Then I highly selective library accepts it and pitches it to movies and TV. Other times I was sure it was great, and no interest anywhere. It's hard to listen to anything we create or are involved with since we listen in the micro and obsess over small things that may or may not be what matters at all. And one comment from any one person can make us hear it differently.

I loved a song that was recently rejected by the critical folks and now that they rejected it, I listen with total negativity. Had they accepted, I'd listen and be gleaming with pride.

Our brains play a lot of tricks on us this way. I'm better at giving advice here than taking it but.... Don't sweat the small stuff.

:D Casey

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Sun May 01, 2022 2:57 pm

Casey H wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 12:59 pm

I loved a song that was recently rejected by the critical folks and now that they rejected it, I listen with total negativity. Had they accepted, I'd listen and be gleaming with pride.
Totally relate to that.
Can also lead to over-thinking about how something will be received while creating - turning off the negative critic becomes harder.