2 Year Update - Pandemic Version

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

2 Year Update - Pandemic Version

Post by ResonantTone » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:53 am

Hey Taxi fam,

Been a while since I've been on the forums, but I wanted to give everyone an update on my journey in sync licensing. If you are lookin for a longer read, here is my one year update... I posted this around February 2020 I believe:

1-year-down-what-a-ride-t144296.html

I'll keep this one much shorter! This is my 2 year update:

By and large, the pandemic has been rough! So much is in a constant state of change with my every day schedule, finding a way to juggle work and family stuff (4 kids under the age of 12 is no joke, lol), and of course, creating music. In spite of all that and all the craziness that I'm sure everyone has felt over this last year, I'm so happy to report that in this last year alone, I've been able to bring in roughly $8k from sync licensing! It's been a mixture of royalites, consideration fees, and sync fees from a bunch of really great contacts that I've been able to stay connected with.... all of which who originated on some level with Taxi. This income has been a huge help amidst all the unpredictability Covid has brought.

I'm no where near as productive as I had hoped I'd be this last year, but I'm pushing forward and finding opportunities to keep making new music as much as I can. (basically any time my kids are sleeping, lol!)

For anyone doubting if sync licensing is still viable... it absolutely is. I know there's lots of talk of flooded markets and what not, but at the end of the day, someone has to be at the top of that flooded market... and that's who is gonna get placements. I'm definitely not there yet, but I'm working hard at improving my craft on every single level, and I'd encourage you to do the same! Production, writing, all of it... Yes, crank out tracks, but up your game in every single one of them. Develop a passion for improving, and keep your head up even when things don't go as planned. If I can do this, so can you!

Huge thank you's all around to Taxi, all the staff, and to Michael for creating opportunities for someone like me.... just a dad tryin to get his music out in the world, and amazingly getting paid for it as well. You guys are the best.

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: 2 Year Update - Pandemic Version

Post by funsongs » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:06 am

Encouraging report & read, Andrew. Good onya... or, if you prefer: "Way to go, DAD!!" :? :P
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:18 am

Wow ..that's awesome in such a short time frame

I get the feeling one day you'll be posting about quitting the day job. Good Luck with it.

Mark

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:19 am

Nicely done, and well put!
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:20 am

So wonderful!
Your music was Pro Level already, I'm expecting "Chart" level now! :D
Congrats and Thank You for Sharing Andrew
Cheers
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:21 am

ResonantTone wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:53 am
Hey Taxi fam,

Been a while since I've been on the forums, but I wanted to give everyone an update on my journey in sync licensing. If you are lookin for a longer read, here is my one year update... I posted this around February 2020 I believe:

1-year-down-what-a-ride-t144296.html

I'll keep this one much shorter! This is my 2 year update:

By and large, the pandemic has been rough! So much is in a constant state of change with my every day schedule, finding a way to juggle work and family stuff (4 kids under the age of 12 is no joke, lol), and of course, creating music. In spite of all that and all the craziness that I'm sure everyone has felt over this last year, I'm so happy to report that in this last year alone, I've been able to bring in roughly $8k from sync licensing! It's been a mixture of royalites, consideration fees, and sync fees from a bunch of really great contacts that I've been able to stay connected with.... all of which who originated on some level with Taxi. This income has been a huge help amidst all the unpredictability Covid has brought.

I'm no where near as productive as I had hoped I'd be this last year, but I'm pushing forward and finding opportunities to keep making new music as much as I can. (basically any time my kids are sleeping, lol!)

For anyone doubting if sync licensing is still viable... it absolutely is. I know there's lots of talk of flooded markets and what not, but at the end of the day, someone has to be at the top of that flooded market... and that's who is gonna get placements. I'm definitely not there yet, but I'm working hard at improving my craft on every single level, and I'd encourage you to do the same! Production, writing, all of it... Yes, crank out tracks, but up your game in every single one of them. Develop a passion for improving, and keep your head up even when things don't go as planned. If I can do this, so can you!

Huge thank you's all around to Taxi, all the staff, and to Michael for creating opportunities for someone like me.... just a dad tryin to get his music out in the world, and amazingly getting paid for it as well. You guys are the best.
Nicely said Andrew! And congrats on the successful family/music juggling act!
All good points in your update and I agree with them all. Wonderful optimism in your post and an extra 8k is nothing to sneeze at! Congrats!
Best, John
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:10 am

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the post. I've been missing your presence on the board. So, great to hear an update from you. You are a positive and helpful presence on the board and are making some great music.

Best wishes to you,
Johnny

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:01 pm

Congratulations! Its refreshing to hear a different slant on things. Many folk are struggling to get some traction, so to hear that you're doing well offers some much needed optimism. Thanks for posting!
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:29 pm

Congrats man! Well deserved success, happy to hear about it. Looking forward to seeing even more growth!

mwb2
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mwb2 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:48 pm

Great post, Andrew, and thank you for sharing! It's very encouraging to read for me and I imagine many others.

One question for you - how does your income breakdown (roughly) between instrumentals and songs? I see mostly instrumentals on your soundcloud but I know sometimes people don't put songs signed to libraries up there.

Congrats and onward and upward!
Mike
Mike

soundcloud.com/mwb2
instagram.com/mikekrishton