2007 ROAD RALLY LOVE LETTERS

From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jay10music
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

2007 ROAD RALLY LOVE LETTERS

Post by jay10music » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:20 pm

Road Rally 2007 Commentsfrom Attendees and PanelistsDear Forum Folks,I want to thank ALL of you who have been kind enough to post your thoughts about the Rally. The comments have popped up in many different threads, so we put together some of our favorites for people who would like to see some sort of consolidation of those threads in one place.I'm a little embarrassed to post several of these because they are so complimentary to me personally. As I started to edit out those parts, I realized that if I didn't leave the posts in their original form people might wonder what else I edited out. So, in the spirit of full disclosure, I left them unedited, other than taking out personal contact info.I also want you to know that we DO keep a file of ALL suggestions as to how to improve the Rally, and we look at EVERY viable comment and option to make next year's Rally even better. So, if you made a post with suggestions, and you don't see it here, just know that we haven't overlooked them. More than anything, I want to use this thread to let people know how valuable the Rally is to our members, and wanted to do it in a concise way for lurkers who might not have the time to surf through the many other threads that have this info.If you've got something in one of the other threads that you'd like to copy to this thread, please feel free to help me in this effort to consolidate I'm sure we missed some great stuff because one gets “snow blind” after reading hundreds.I've also included some of the comments from panelists and industry pros that have been sent to us so people who read this can see what their perspective is on the Rally. Again, I'm a little embarrassed by all the flattery, but didn't want to edit. I hope I can live up to all the nice things said about me, and more importantly, I'm happy to see how often my staffers are mentioned. They work SO hard to get ready for the Rally that it's unimaginable without seeing it with your eyes. I may be the most visible person at TAXI, but it takes an entire skeleton to support the head ;-)Enjoy, and thank you once again,MichaelP.S. For you “newbees”: The references to the “Dots” are numerous. Dots are Forum members who put colored dots on their Rally badges so they could be spotted in the crowd by fellow forum buddies at the Rally.*************************“Andy and I had a great time at the TAXI Road Rally this year. It's always fun and a little surreal for us to come back as panelists and remember what it was like to be out in the audience during the panels dreaming about future success. We're truly grateful to TAXI and to Michael Laskow for being true to their claims and getting our music out there to the people who can really do something with it. One single connection made for us by TAXI has resulted in our songs and productions being on over 20 million albums sold over the last three and half years. And then they gave us the Inspiration Award this year! TAXI is the one that deserves the award!”- Adam Watts and Andy Dodd, TAXI success story with songwriting cuts by Jesse McCartney and Hannah MontanaFrom: John BRYSONMichael,Back when you started TAXI - 10 or so years ago, I eyed what you were doing with great skepticism. I had worked in the industry and to myself, and probably many others - you were just another hustle preying on so many young peoples common dream. But I must say, I was wrong. About the time I noticed that ASCAP and BMI both were endorsing your programs I thought I should take another look.I did and I joined TAXI not all that long ago. Also, I and one of my partners at the "Yellowheel" decided to come to the Road Rally in LA. We both are a bit older and more cynical than the younger folks, but I must say - we were just blown away. I remember walking through the lobby a week ago Thursday night and there must have been about two thousand people lined up for the sign up.As Dave and I walked past them I remember commenting to my friend that all of these people share a common dream. And it is a wonderful dream. As the programs continued through Sunday - we both learned a great deal about what it takes to create the dream. Your panels of various business folk really brought to the table pretty much what we all need to know to make the dreams come true.Of course we've got to work at it - develop our skills - and find the songs inside of us all that speak to the common experience in the world. But I just wanted to say thank you to yourself and all of your staff who made this a most excellent experience. Also, the many members, mentors and other various folk we met were wonderful as well. Dave and I made many new friends in this adventure.And perhaps if I've learned my lessons well enough and bring the right tunes to the TAXI table - well - perhaps one day we could have lunch at Musso Frank Grill.Thanks again Michael for a wonderful time,John Bryson (Johnny Yellowheel)*******************************"I was thrilled to be a part of this year's TAXI convention and also very excited that my dear friend and supporter Michael Laskow honored me with the Humanitarian of the Year award. I am a big fan of TAXI and how it supports the realization of people's musical dreams." -- Kara DioGuardi Hit Songwriter and Producer who has worked with Celine Dion, Faith Hill, Kelly Clarkson, Santana, Taylor Hicks, Hannah Montana, among many, many others.KG's Road Rally HighlightsI wanted to post sooner, but needed to get over a bit of jet lag and make sure I was making sense before rambling on. This was my first rally and I was expecting it to be great, but when I tell you that it was life-changing, I'm not exaggerating even one bit. I came to the rally seriously driven with a lot of TAXI learning under my belt already, but the affirmation of all I've absorbed to date and industry confirmation that I'm doing what needs to be done and doing it well, has sent me into overdrive. It's boosted my confidence to a whole new level. (Any artist/writer/musician knows consistent confidence can be a struggle for some of us creative types). The two major highlights for me were getting to meet Michael Laskow for the first time and getting to meet my fellow "dots." When I tell you that I feel like I've known him [Michael] for years and can clearly see how thrilled he is with his TAXI "kids" it's amazing. (Michael, if you get to read this, thanks again for everything. Your work and the effort of the TAXI team mean the world to me.) To my beloved, DOTS, I can't even begin to tell each one of you how thrilled and blessed I am to have been able to meet each one of you in person. It felt just like family and I'm proud to say I know you. Can't wait to do it again next year.I had so many fantastic experiences while I was there, I know I'm going to miss some, but I'll call out a few here. Waiting in line hours ahead of registration time with members I had just met, sharing stories and music and just getting to know the many faces and stories of my fellow musicians. Seeing and meeting the other DOTS for the first time and having it feel like I was saying hi to an old friend. Meeting industry people sales people who really cared what you do, wanted to hear more about it, and share their expertise even if they knew you weren't a buyer. Sitting in the lobby learning one of Casey's songs and being too thick to keep the words straight LOL. The mentor luncheons were amazing even when the subject matter didn't apply directly to me. Being able to share my perspective on why the forums are an important part of being a TAXI member during one of the panels and how important it is to be a willing learner. (on the soapbox again )Some advice to the new members. If you haven't already, start saving now for next year's rally. It really is that important. Even for those of you who already know the business side, the people you meet, both industry and member, are a huge part of the experience. The contacts I made are a serious part of taking my career to the next level. The right people will end up in your path if you attend with the right intentions. Also, you should attend with a few clear achievable goals in mind and "Dude, I'm gonna get signed" is not one of them. Focus on finding out what your next step is to getting to your final goal. For example, mine were 1. Create a relationship with a new publishing/licensing contact and cultivate a deal from that 2. Look for an opportunity to co-write with the right person well above my level 3. Assess how close I am to my goal/what my missing links are. Without sharing details I'm not able to at this point, let's just say I've met/created the opportunity contained within each goal and should be able to follow-up with a mission accomplished soon.Now if I could just find the cure-all for the pain associated with returning to the day-job today Oh and one more thing, talk about highlights, look who we road to the airport with who just happens to be a TAXI member http://www.jimmytorres.com/ Talk about a reality check, people, if this rock star is a TAXI member, who are you not to be!*****************“Once again the TAXI Road Rally was INCREDIBLE -- a highlight of my year. There was no way to not be inspired and motivated by all that energy and talent. Besides being an amazing networking opportunity, there was a veritable smorgasbord of panels and classes that seemed better than ever. I wish I could have attended them all -- but they kept me busy teaching.”-Jason Blume ,Best-selling author/hit songwriter with cuts by Britney Spears, the Gipsy Kings, the Backstreet Boys, Jesse McCartney, and numerous country stars--Jason's songs are on albums that have sold more 50,000,000 copies.Many thanks to Michael Laskow all the Taxi staff and the many speakers, mentors and wonderful folks all pulling to make this thing happen. You guys are awesome and I appreciate you very much for giving me this gift. Once again you out did your last year rally and I leave with a list of things I need to do to be better. I like lists because then I can check things off when i do them. I don't understand how anyone could find anything negative about Taxi in general or the Road Rally which i feel privileged to be a part of. If someone has found a company that offers more opportunities in so many aspects of this business please tell me. People do like to cluster together and gripe about things, and I don't know what good ever comes from that...i guess misery loves company. I challenge them to take that energy and do something positive, if not for their music career, just life in general. Go help out at a habitat for humanity or write a song instead of griping and complaining. You never know what could happen in the time you were going to spend complaining. Life is short, bad things happen, the best people get over it and find a way to see the positive in every situation. If you think this is not a friendly message board, maybe YOU need to be more friendly. So now I am griping about the gripers, time to sign off!Your friend,Lee*************************Well here I am - back home, though strangely enough the 5 days in LA felt like I was home in some kind of surreal sense. It will take a few days for the dust to clear so I won't be able to post much. I literally ignored some deadlines to take off those days, and now it is marathon catch up time back here in the real world.I will post more in detail later, but for now here's a very brief synopsis: This was my first Rally. I thought my expectations were unrealistically high, but the reality was they weren't nearly high enough. This first Road Rally turned out to be the most meaningful and productive experience of my professional career - period. In four days I was able to amass information, wisdom and contacts that could have taken a decade or more to acquire by any other means - if ever at all.Thank you Michael. Thank you Taxi staff and members, especially you forum friends. I never imagined that an investment of a plane ticket and a hotel bill could change your life. I'm back home, but I will never be the same.Aub****************************Got home from the Rally about an hour ago. Probably the last one home Am totally jetlagged, dazed and confused, tired and emotional. Will post more when I come back down to earth. Suffice to say for now: a life changing experience. I'll remember the last week in detail when I'm rocking on the porch in thirty years or so.Liam**************************“Totally loved doing it. The people involved are top notch. Best way to get free music college 101 from the people out there doing it.”-Brian Howes, CEO, Wreck Beach/Interscope Records***************************"This year's Rally was my first. I was impressed with how many panels and workshops they offered at the event. TAXI provides direct access to top level executives and songwriters giving its members an incredible opportunity.”- Mike Elizondo, Songwriter with cuts by 50 Cent, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, and Busta Rhymes***************************Subject: Fwd: Thank you>Hey guys - you're probably still reeling & trying to recover from the>weekend...>What an amazing event you put on, though. Absolutely brilliant.>>Please forward this to Michael for me. Thanks.Dear MichaelI travelled 16,000 kilometres (we don't use miles - and we drive on the CORRECT side of the road) from Johannesburg to come to the Rally, and then decided to turn it into a bit of a holiday. I know you have your critics, but let me just say that the Rally alone was worth the effort. Had I only come for that, it would have been worth the expense. Thank you to you and your team. What a brilliant job you all did. It was worth every cent, and I can honestly say that your comments at the Rally really gave me peace of mind and reaffirmed why you guys rock (you DO listen to all the submissions, etc. - "you are all mychildren" was my favourite!).Also, without any "product placements" or cue sheets, the mentors that Ieventually ended up having dinner with (what a nice, down-to-earth bunch - you really know how to pick 'em) spoke about you with the highest respect and fondness, stating that you are one of the people they know who has the most integrity, and that your intentions are sincere. Not that I doubted that - whatpushed me over the edge was a music course I did at a university in Jo'burg which recommended Taxi - as well as one of the top artists in South Africa, who is a member.Anyway, thanks again. Taxi rocks! Your staff are all so cool. Please thank themfor us.RegardsRob RichardsPS I was surprised to hear that I was only one of FIVE people who traveled so far from SA. Global domination beckons...***************************** “Thanks, Michael, for another great Rally experience! You've created such a friendly environment for your members. It's always a pleasure to meet & greet. I hope I'm invited back.”- Autumn House, Sr. Director A&R, Capitol Records Nashville******************************Re: Three best things I learned at the Rally« Reply #18 on Today at 1:24am »This is my first post on the forum after just joining Taxi a little over a week ago and flying out to the Road Rally from Miami- and I feel overwhelmed and speechless by the whole experience. But "speechless" doesn't really make for a good forum post, does it... The challenge is narrowing all I've learned down to three things. Well, here are a few standouts to me:1) As others have said, being able to clearly and concisely describe your music and what you do. This includes having a quick "elevator" description, as well as really, REALLY knowing yourself and your music, and the industry, well enough to choose your own pigeon holes. I guess it's all about focus, which applies to songwriting, promotion, your image (if you're a performing artist), and networking.2) I have a better sense of where I stand and what I need to learn and develop. There are MANY areas! But I think by listening to the panels, workshops, and various cds I was given that I have a better sense of my own strengths and weaknesses. The cool thing is that when it comes to my "areas needing work" I feel encouraged and motivated to improve and grow, rather than intimidated.3) Number three is a tie between a) my shock at how many open, kind, encouraging people there are in this business, particularly those associated with Taxi. Michael Laskow couldn't have designed a better first impression of Taxi for me. And b) I need to work on my networking skills!Thanks to all you guys who were there for making it a great community, and I look forward to being part of this forum. Now I have dozens of pages of notes to sort through and digest... Michael**************************"For most people, the Rally is a great source for information, inspiration and industry contacts. For me the Rally is part of a life changing experience where TAXI membership has taken me from "former musician and software developer" to full time composer in a little less than four years. The Rally is free but the value to me is beyond calculation."-Dave Walton, TAXI member with many Film/TV Placements*************************Re: Three best things I learned at the Rally« Reply #22 on Today at 5:14am »HI,My first Road Rally.... Have they announced the dates yet for next year.... just like A1 sauce yeah it's that good!!1.. Patience & Persistence2. Submit it ( to the proper genre ) and forget about it3. Working that 5 year planTruly enjoyed meeting everybody, what a friendly group of great people..Michael... thanks for having such an incredible vision as Taxi..Bob ***************************Re: Three best things I learned at the Rally« Reply #24 on Today at 8:31am »I learned that1. TAXI is absolutely the real deal. As someone writing on Music Row full time, for me it's an excellent way to get my music into places beyond Nashville (even though it's an avenue for that as well)2. The bar is as high for TAXI as it is in the real world. If the music isn't spot-on and great, it's not going to make its way through the crowd. Getting a return means the song's not appropriate in some way, not that the screener is bad...3. target submissions very carefully, and make sure your production is right before you submit:- short intros - I heard so many 16 bar intros in the listening panels! 4 bars'll do it, 8 if you absolutely have to- Please don't bore us - get us to the chorus! And, make sure it's not cliche! Tell us something real, in a fresh way- Vocals - loud and proud. And, make sure they're great. Spend lots of time on them. If you're not a great vocalist, hire one to do your singing for you.It was a great hang, I met a lot of great folks, I can't say enough about how valuable the Road Rally is. I can't believe it took me 8 years to go to one!Stansong****************************Re: Three best things I learned at the Rally« Reply #37 on Today at 8:41pm »1. Going to the Rally, I wanted a reality check on my progress as a songwriter-producer. I got a chance to speak to a number of people who encouraged me that I am on the right track. Liz Redwing, Fett, Ronan Chris Murphy, Robin Frederick, Mike Elizondo were all very helpful.2. Conveying emotion through music is a skill that can be learned. Steve Memel taught a vocal class about unconscious influences on singing that had useful techniques for connecting to emotions. Pat Pattison, Pete and Pat Luboff, Kara DioGuardi, Ponch each added to this lesson.3. The Rally exceeded my expectations. Michael is a shining example of ethics in a jaded industry, putting in countless hours for the benefit of Taxi members, going above and beyond what most business owners would do. Meeting the forum dots was the best part, I learned as much from all of you as from the panelists. Thanks for including me in the "second tier" dot party.Nomi Yah*****************************“The TAXI Road Rally again proved that it's the most dynamic music conference in the country, without any of the pretentiousness present at other conferences. It's nothing but powerful sessions, incredible speakers, really valuable information, and 2500 songwriters and artists who are really serious about their craft.”-Tony Van Veen, President, DiscMakers******************************I don't think that I've ever had such reverse homesickness before. Granted, I'm glad to be home -- missed the wife and kids... but here I am doing post audio for a tv show with an intense deadline -- everything's gone wrong on the video side which means I'll probably be here all night. Deadlines, BS, stress -- and in the past two days I've not had a meaningful conversation about anything I care about - except with my wife, and I've hardly seen her. Although the rally was surreal and a bigger than life experience, on the other hand it was such a real experience that my goals now include a path where I can be surrounded by that caliber of people on a regular basis. I'm quite weary of being a decent sized fish in a small pond. The deep water is not as deep as I thought, and the sharks aren't so scary anymore.The thing I saw at the rally was people helping people. Matt answering the same newbie question 15 times with the same sincerity. All of the other Dots seemed the same. No competition. No ego. Okay, I'm sure it was AUBvious that I have a substantial ego , but seriously there was a mutual sharing of information and life experiences that were simply out of a desire to help someone else out. But it wasn't just the dots... The attitude I saw in Michael Laskow was reflected in one way or another in each staff member, the mentors, the panelists -- they were there to help. To give advice. To share what they knew. There were no secrets. It was not us and them-- just us.Maybe this all sounds corny, but I have starkly realized that what I do day in and day out is all about people helping themselves, and the water in this pond is much more shallow than I allowed myself to observe before.--- the forum, and the voices in my head, are at least a reminder and a small glimpse of where I would rather be....Aub**************************From: dawn kuznkowski I know you are going to get blasted by emails from content musicianstelling you how wonderful the Rally was...so sorry, but I can't helpmyself.the work and efforts of you, your staff and all your volunteers didnot go unnoticed! What an absolutely magnificent event! I feel like asparkler so full of ideas and inspiration, what a gift you gave usall with that weekend.what inspires me the most is how people like you and Derrick (from CDbaby) have managed to help so many other people while you moveforward in what has become your (musical) day jobs......you guys arelike little musical angles to the rest of us...and I'm so gratefullfor all the info and opportunities you provide for so many.thanks for an inspiring and priceless weekend!Dawn and Tom Kuznkowski,first year members, but no longer Road Rally virgins!you can bet we'll be there next year!********************************

jay10music
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: 2007 ROAD RALLY LOVE LETTERS

Post by jay10music » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:21 pm

From: "Lee Johnson" Hi Michael,I want to thank you and your staff, all the teachers, mentors and speakers, for being such wonderful, kind, giving people! I can tell you all do this because you care, and you really want us to succeed.At this year's Road Rally I got a great mix of craft and business knowledge through the classes. I was inspired by success stories and publisher listening panels, and I had questions answered by experts in many aspects of this business. Meeting and hanging out with tons of great people is always a highlight! Another year and once again the picture becomes a little more clear.THANK YOULee Johnson*****************************« Thread Started on Yesterday at 12:37pm » I finally got out of my shell and attended my first songwriter expo, the Road Rally. If you are telling yourself that you are doing everything to be successful as a songwriter, but not attending the Road Rally.... think again. It was GREAT! Message board - Ollie******************************The Rally is already perhaps the most focused, educational and even life changing music convention out there. Matt Hirt from TAXI Forum******************************I'm so glad you sent the email out to get feedback and to follow up. I so wanted an email address to send my feedback and let you know that it was the single most important music event I've ever attended!First, I want to commend you and your staff for your tireless work and amazing sense of organization. I everything was really clear and workshop and panel discussions were written up very well so I could select what I wanted to participate in with ease.Second, I want to echo your feelings about the 'vibe' of the whole rally. I really met some amazing and incredible people and heard a lot of demos and albums that were dynamite! I felt very supported and in fact wished that the conference was 4 days long!Thirdly, I want to thank you for the variety of the workshops. I learned tons in marketing, songwriting, and networking. I really felt like I was in music heaven. It really gave me the tools to take my music career to the next level. I also learned in detail, how the Taxi process works and I am much better prepared now to submit to Taxi listings.Finally, I want to thank you Michael for your dedication and entrepreneurial spirit in creating Taxi. It is such a great business concept that I'm sure has not only been successful in a financial sense but also helps those of us with little or no access initially to the key players in the music industry. I sensed your passion for helping others and I am very impressed and honored to be a Taxi member!Wishing you and all the Taxi Staff much continued success and I look forward to seeing you all again next year!Warm wishes from Hawaii,von Baron******************************Sir,I just retired in July 2007, have been writing songs for 30 years basically alone "in a closet" - yes, never ventured outside myself. I joined Taxi three years ago but never came to a Road Rally and didn't have any demos to submit. However, just receiving your monthly offerings made me continue to think that perhaps I too could do this. I decided to take you up on attending this Road Rally with a lot of personal trepidation. Upon arrival and when talking with people who were all waiting in line to register, I found everyone to be kind and friendly. I began to relax and have a good time meeting and sharing with others. Once the various sessions began, I was in awe of the incredible wisdom that was being shared...inside secrets about song writing and tips on the music business in general. Where else would I be given the opportunity to meet and learn from many music business executives and successful songwriters all assembled in one place for my benefit?I cannot tell you how much this experience has meant to me and how it has shaped my view of having a "real" career in song writing. I feel that I came away with the equivalent of a 2 year degree in song writing and the music business. Upon returning to Pennsylvania I began applying what I learned; and can already see big improvements that should result in more saleable songs.Thank you from the bottom of my heart.C. Joseph Bilott****************************This was my first Road Rally. One word: FANTASTIC !! Okay I'll add another INSPIRATIONAL! Alright one more, MOTIVATIONAL! All three aptly describe my experience. I've been doing music for many years. One can become jaded and disillusioned. The Rally helped reinforce beliefs in myself, motivated me to continue the success I had in 2007 and do better in 2008. The one thing that really stuck out to me was, how approachable everyone was (excluding a lot of the panelist of course, but I understand their position). I'm talking about you, Matt Hirt, Jason Blume...etc. I spoke with all of you and never felt rushed or like I was a bothering you guys. When I approached Matt with a question regarding his music he reached in his bag and gave me a cd of his stuff. The very same stuff that he's placed in TV and film. No attitude, no "hoarding" his "secrets" to success, just "here, take this". Thank you Matt! I met many fellow songwriters and musicians from all over the country. The sense of community was great, the feeling of purpose, contagious and the idea of "hey, I can really do this", inspiring. I'll be back next year. I will have applied what I learned. My goal is to have a "real" success story to tell you, Matt and Jason.Dan McCafferty**************************Michael,This was my first time coming to the Road Rally, and I have to say I didn't know what to expect coming in. I had read all the testimonies of taxi members saying that getting free tickets to the Rally alone was worth the membership fee, but I still had my doubts. After experiencing the Rally first hand I could not agree with them more! The driver's ed classes were incredibly insightful. I especially enjoyed the songwriting classes. Getting to see the reactions of real A&R people during the A&R panels heightened my understanding of what they are really looking for... there's simply no comparison between hearing about what their process is and actually wittnessing it. I left the Rally with an incredible outlook on the future of my career, and for the first time I know EXACTLY how to concentrate my efforts and what I want to accomplish over the next year. This kind of focus is invaluable, especially in this industry. I re-read all my critiques after I got home, and now I fully understand what what was going through the screeners' heads, and why they made the comments they did 99% of the time (as opposed to about 40% before the rally). And last but certainly not least, I felt so inspired that I wrote a new song on the plane ride home!! Thanks for organizing such a great event, and see you next year!Thomas Courtney****************************Dear Michael, My first question has to be, where on earth do you get all that energy?! This was my first Road Rally, and I have to say, after having been to both ASCAP Expos, I was very impressed. There's an energy, more of a down-to-earth energy, at the Taxi Rally than I've experienced at many of the other music conferences I've been to. I don't know if this is a compliment, it's meant to be...but after long days at the Rally, absorbing everything, I found myself sometimes just wanting to sleep. Sometimes my eyes would close, and every time they would, I'd hear some great idea that perked me right back up again. Whether it came from an 'instructor' or another attendee, even if I wanted to nap, I couldn't, all these great ideas were flying around overhead and I had to write them down. I've since caught up on my sleep, and just wanted to write this note, to let you know how much I appreciate all the energy you and your staff put into creating such a huge event for your members to learn, and get better, and network, and make music.I've spent 20 years in the television business, and not once has anyone gone out of their way to make sure I knew what I needed to know in order to do my job better. That was always up to me. Since I've dived into songwriting full time, I've experienced just the opposite, especially at Taxi...people really want all of us to be our best because that's good for music. So, thank you for a great weekend. I know I will be applying much of my newfound knowledge and tips to my future songwriting endeavors, and I know I'll be back at the Rally next year.Sincerely,Debra Gussinsongwriter****************************Hi Michael, Chris, and All You Great Taxi People!It's been a week now since I've been back from the road rally and my pulse is almost normal again. I came alone from Florida and was amazed to find about 2,500 people just like me. The information that was available and the information that I recieved has me buzzing like a bumblebee! Mike, I loved your hands-on driving of this GIANT TAXICAB and it is quite apparent to me now WHY taxi has been so successful! You are truly a dynamo of energy, kindness, and guidence for any songwriter in the world, and it was a sincere pleasure to shake your hand and meet some of the "big dogs" in the music business. Your selection of teachers and artists held me spellbound wherever I went the whole weekend! I've been to millions of conventions of all kinds but I have never met a warmer bunch of people so willing to share their experiances, achievements, and musical ideas! You can go ahead and sign me right on up for next year!Thanks a Million!!!From Florida I remain---------Patrick "Catnippat" Muth*************************Dear Michael, Chris, and everyone at Taxi -- thank you!! I can'texpress how energized and focused I've felt since both joining Taxi in April and going to the Road Rally last week.Not to sound cheesy, but Taxi has already given me something priceless that in a way, is more valuable than any deals that I hope to see as a result of my forwards -- a genuine sense of musical purpose; something I lost for a few recent years and wondered whether or not I'd get back.The Road Rally was one of the most professionally run, information packed, and accessible conferences I've ever attended. I can't wait tosee what next year has in store, and would be more than happy to help out in any way I can. The key-note, panels, guests, driver's ed classes, etc. were all insightful, helpful, and inspiring.Thanks again for all your hard work, Taxi and the Road Rally have truly re-lit the fire in my creative mind.Don Kline***************************Dear Michael and staff,It is a pleasure to give feedback to Taxi since, I found the rally to be well beyond the very high expectations I already had. The professionalism, integrity and expertise of the panelists, mentors and staff was exemplary. The workshops and panels offered were highly relevant, useful and clearly designed to help bring out the best in the aspiring Taxi members. I came out of the rally inspired and ready to go back to the fretboard charged with new ideas, more confident than ever, that I too, with hard work, can write, perform and record songs that will meet the standards necessary to be a serious contender in this exciting and worthwhile endeavor. Thanks very much to all of you at Taxi.Chanon Bloch**************************….I met many other writers and everyone was very easy to talk to. I came by myself as a result of your email which said that over 50% of the participants come by themselves. I was not disappointed, or feeling lonely, left out, whatever. It was great!Thanks!Doug Neckers****************************Dear TAXI Staff,This is my third Road Rally. I fly in from NewJersey. Being a teacher and past Board of Educationmember for 6 years, I have attended countlessconferences, conventions and workshops. I must admit, that I do not believe there was astone left unturned in reference to preparation andlearning opportunities. Each year I wish that I couldsplit myself into two or three parts because of theopportunities that are taking place simultaneously. It is nice to socialize with and network withpeople who have the same passion, goals and love forthe music industry as I do. The motivation, positiveatmosphere and all-around caring of the staff andattendees, is overwhelming. There certainly is anatmosphere of enthusiasm and support, without thecloud of competitiveness. You are to be commended for your efforts, hard workand caring. Sincerely,Judy Money***************************Michael, This was our first Road Rally and it did live up to the " hype." All of the seminars were very informative and the " take aways " very valuable. The only downside was that some of the breakout sessions were located in rooms that were too small to comfortably accomodate all of the members who wished to attend. A lot of the popular topics were simply shut out to all who were interested. I understand the limits of available space, but it was just a small let down. The ones that I did attend, which most of them, were worth the membership fee at three times the cost !! Getting the messages directly from the industry pros who make it all happen is truly an exceptional membership benefit. My wife and I will definitely be there next year. A big thanks to you and all of your hard working staff who pulled this huge event off so seamlessly. Regards, Randy Merrill**************************For the love of Rally, post your highlight here!« Thread Started on Nov 13, 2007, 5:57am »I just didn't know how great it could be... so many priceless moments, but one will always stand out. I arrived on Fri @ 10:30am, after Michael's opening session. I sat down in the Grand Ballroom and heard someone call my name. It was a great buddy, I used to share a house with in Vancouver, 20 years ago. We'd even tried to write a song together, a long time ago. He proudly asked me if I was in the room for the opening remarks, and I told him I was bummed I missed them. He proceeded to tell me that Michael had quoted 2 things I posted here, a while back, IN THE FIRST 10 SECONDS OF HIS OPENING SPEECH. I was completely and utterly blown away. Then I heard my name being called again, behind me. It was Michael himself, welcoming me with a great big bear hug, and we'd never even met before. It's hard to describe how deeply that affected me. Those of you that know me, also know about my self-confidence issues. Let's just say, I was higher than a kite on love for the entire weekend. There were tears of joy stinging my eyes, many moments over the weekend, but that was definitely my most special. Thank you Michael Laskow, and everyone else riding the love wave at this beautiful and astounding weekend. steve soucy (a gilbert)

waltergrund
Impressive
Impressive

Re: 2008 ROAD RALLY

Post by waltergrund » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:31 am

Hi there,here's just a short issue that popped up to my mind...I guess there many taxi members overseas - like me - who might not be able to make it to the Road Rally 2008. Remembering our weekly church services being broadcasted live in the internet worldwide with just one camera and an internet hotspot, this would be a great way enable us at least to take part in the big forum...I can imagine it could work with a login and even a charge on it.How about that?Walter

suzdoyle
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: 2007 ROAD RALLY LOVE LETTERS

Post by suzdoyle » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:28 am

What a cool idea! Live stream audio of the Rally! Could be effective and fun!Suz