3 more on the return pile, would like a second opi

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

rcase
Impressive
Impressive

Re: 3 more on the return pile, would like a second

Post by rcase » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:36 am

Quote:As far as the "pitchy" thing I don't know what to do there, my ear sucks because I don't hear nearly as much off key as you guys, any way to "train" my ears? I stop short of torture but any other suggestions welcome ... GeoI have one word for you, my friend:MELODYNEOh, OK..maybe another word:Auto-Tune (or is that two words?)Cripes, OK.. here's another (two):Digital Performer (that's if you were a Mac user, and DP was your DAW of choice, it has a very handy and capable pitch correction utility built-in, similar to Melodyne I believe)Our forum pals may suggest others (DW, doesn't Sonar offer pitch correction?). I know these hi-tech solutions are no substitute for a well-performed vocal, but they can work wonders when used judiciously.Rob
"Financial success as a songwriter requires 3 things: One, craft. Two, volume. Three, time." - Vikki Flawith

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by geo » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:06 pm

Thanks Rob, I in the process of switching over to a Mac based system but at the moment just moving tracks over to practice mixing in Garage Band. My vocalist can and has done clean, in tune tracks before, so maybe I'll try shaming him with the critique to get him to concentrate more!!! I'll keep a look out for those programs... Geo

diogenes
Impressive
Impressive

Post by diogenes » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:11 pm

Hey Geo, I'm listening to your songs. i can't comment on genre as I dont listen to that style But I'll give you my two cents on production. I don't think its fair, but in this day and age we are all expected to rise to the occasion production wise. Taxi critiques are partly the reason I started collaborating/recording via the internet. It was hard to say goodbye to the drum machine, but once I did I couldn't believe I didn't do it sooner. But thats a topic for another thread..anyhow. Geo, to be honest your productions sound a little dated. I hear a lot of what sounds like inexpensive synthesizer (not that thats a bad thing). I think some more organic drums could help out to. You have a lot of obvious talent. Great guitar playing. I think in the future I would try a more stripped down approach to the instrumentation. Some very simple and present sounds. Miced up electric/or acoustic guitar (or both). Do you play the bass or is it keyboard bass? If keyboard, a real bass is always a good idea. If you choose to program the drums, keep them simple and try to think like a drummer or check out the back of recording magazine and possibley hire a drummer to work for you via the internet. It's surprisingly affordable. I don't know what sort of gear you have, but I know with a little know-how you can get great sounds out of small packages today. If you don't have one, think about investing in a Large-diaphragm condensor mic for Vocals, and an SM57 is classic for electric guitar. Good luck. I'm coming to terms on a daily basis with all my Taxi rejections...er...opportunity's to improve my songs and writing in general

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by geo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:27 pm

Yo Dio, good ear on the inexpensive synth, it's an old Korg N364, everything, including the guitars!! Used to be a fair bass/guitar player but arthritis has limited that to a little strumming. I'm having problem finding players I can afford, like free. I'm in the process of switching over to a Mac based system for sequencing and mutlitracking and currently use a Sennheiser mic for most uses. Gotta go piece by piece on the switch over so it's not a quick process. I hoping to be done by the New Year. This wasn't a case where I was thinking I should have been forwarded, just trying to supplement the critique (wasn't completely clear in the comments). Thanks for the listen and the advice... Peace out, Geo