Re: 3rd Version , 'Go!, Baby Go!'

Post by davekershaw » Thu May 08, 2008 6:50 am

Yep, love it.Get it submitted!

feaker
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker » Thu May 08, 2008 10:08 am

Yo quest: Might be driving you nuts, but each time in fact it does get better. Your voice is great for this song, but it does get overshadowed in some spots. Without changing too much, could you go in a cut down some of the background a little?The first thing I did when I joined taxi was to send in three songs for custom critiques. If you are interested I could pm you a link for you to view them. I though my songs were at least decent, but they in fact were not. It's only twenty bucks:) (takes a couple weeks)I personally think the only thing that is needed here is some mastering. Once again, I might be saying too much here. My wife always says "do you have to be so painfully honest"?? I would bet this song, with a little follow-through, will do well. Good luck (again) Paul

questor
Impressive
Impressive

Post by questor » Thu May 08, 2008 1:25 pm

May 8, 2008, 1:08pm, feaker wrote:Yo quest: Might be driving you nuts, but each time in fact it does get better. Your voice is great for this song, but it does get overshadowed in some spots. Without changing too much, could you go in a cut down some of the background a little?The first thing I did when I joined taxi was to send in three songs for custom critiques. If you are interested I could pm you a link for you to view them. I though my songs were at least decent, but they in fact were not. It's only twenty bucks:) (takes a couple weeks)I personally think the only thing that is needed here is some mastering. Once again, I might be saying too much here. My wife always says "do you have to be so painfully honest"?? I would bet this song, with a little follow-through, will do well. Good luck (again) Paul No man, it's totally cool. I understand what you mean. I always find that I fall out of love with a lot of tunes I thought were great just when I finished them. Distance adds alot of perspective. Which is another reason I am trying to take a break with making changes on this one until I get some better objectivity. I think you and billg are right when you say I should probably send it in for a custom critique, as the two week or so wait will help me take a break from it for a while at least. I am sure it could be better, but I think it is fairly solid right now, hopefully decent enough to get a critique. Thanks for the honestly, it is very much appreciated.Regards,Questor

aimusic
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aimusic » Thu May 08, 2008 9:24 pm

Hey Questor,I agree with Feaker, the song must be driving you nuts, but every mix is getting clearer and better quality.I am not kidding when I say I'll help out with the drum sound - I don't mind, I like helping out where I can. What vst are you using for the drums? I got BFD2.0 and could really give the song a more OOMPH on the drums side?Take CareB

questor
Impressive
Impressive

Post by questor » Fri May 09, 2008 11:45 am

Yeah, it is definately driving me nuts in that I have a hard time feeling the song anymore just becuase of redundancy.However, I do think feaker is right in that the background overpowers the vox in some places and also I think I lost a 'bit' too much in the stereo. I kinda went from an extreme setting (that sort of just escaped my notice until you guys brought it up) to a setting that actually brings the vox almost to mono, in the process it makes the vox lose some slight of resonance. Not saying I want to put it back even close to the old way, but at least have it pan a 'normal' stereo field.As for the drums, I really appreciate the offer. I will PM you to discuss details.Regards,Questor

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Fri May 09, 2008 2:49 pm

May 8, 2008, 9:20am, questor wrote:May 8, 2008, 8:27am, squids wrote:Yeah, it's a bit like Space Cowboy meets She Got Legs by zztop. Except both those tunes were danceable, this one's really flyin' too fast to dance to it. Yeah, I know what you mean. Dancing to something this fast would probably look alot like someone having a seizure Also, from what I have read, any light show linked to the bpm would certainly induce that reaction in a small percentage of the population. (Okay, maybe I put too much credit in the warnings on video games ) Seriously, the main reason I have not dropped the BPM is because it would require me/us to pretty much redo almost everything and while that is do-able, it would take alot more time, and I might as well just put that time into writing another tune altogether. Plus I figured that it since the song has alot going for it already (at this bpm), there is the possibility that lowering the BPM might lose more than it gains (but that is only one possibility, of course). Granted it is definitely a trade-off, kinda like one of those 'bird in the hand' type of dilemmas. Also, after over a solid week of this tune, I am really ready to move onto something new...but I will certainly keep the bpm issue in mind should I ever revisit this tune in the future.Regards,QuestorQuest, I completely understand what you mean! After a week, I'm so sick of a song, I'm about ready to throw my desktop out the window! And you're quite right....you've gained a great deal as this song has gone on and it's risky to consider dropping the bpm jes for a certain "feel". Carry on!And feel free to pm me if you want my opinion on a custom critique.

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Thu May 15, 2008 11:02 am

Quest,I tried to listen but got this:""Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.""I have the current version of Media Player. Had this problem on one other mp3 that was emailed to me. Maybe there is some new codec I need that is not supported by Microsoft?Dean

questor
Impressive
Impressive

Post by questor » Fri May 16, 2008 4:15 am

Hi Dean,Thanks for the heads up. I will take a look into it, but my windows Media Player plays the files with no issue. However, I am running Windows 2000, which uses an older (or at least different) version of Windows Media Player. Mine says it is version 6.4.09.1129,I think the issue maybe due to me encoding the original MP3 file at too high of a bitrate. Can you tell me what OS you are running and what version of Windows Media Player you have so I can try to test it before reposting it?Thanks.

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Fri May 16, 2008 7:33 am

Don't worry too much with it .. of course. The problem may be on my end. I am streaming it lo-fi from your taxi page. usually this works fine, but maybe with you it doesn't????I have XP and Media Player 11Dean