4 percussion forwards (dispatch)

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

4 percussion forwards (dispatch)

Post by VanderBoegh » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:06 am

Went 4-for-4 on this recent Dispatch listing:

PERCUSSION-BASED INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a successful International Music Licensing Company with worldwide distribution through BMG!

Quoting the Music Licensing Company: “We are looking for Instrumentals that are not epic and not cinematic. Keep it small! Real percussion recordings are preferred."

Please send them primarily Percussion-based Instrumental Cues that evolve as they progresses. Your submissions should not feel huge or overly grand and should have simple ideas that get right to the point. Your submissions can have additional instrumentation, but the majority of it should be Percussion-based.

TAXI Tip: Your Instrumental Cues can include instrumentation like (but not limited to) Percussion, Frame drums, Congas, Shakers, Snare (from small marching bands), etc., but feel free to get inventive and creative with the instruments and sounds you use! However, they said NO tuned mallets instruments.

It was kinda cool to mic up my plethora of percussion pieces that I rarely play and bang away on my assortment of bongos, cajons, shakers, triangles, tambourines, etc. I've never claimed to be a percussionist, but with a little quantization on my playing, I guess it was passable!

~~Matt

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Re: 4 percussion forwards (dispatch)

Post by MBantle » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:24 am

VanderBoegh wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:06 am
Went 4-for-4 on this recent Dispatch listing:

PERCUSSION-BASED INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a successful International Music Licensing Company with worldwide distribution through BMG!

Quoting the Music Licensing Company: “We are looking for Instrumentals that are not epic and not cinematic. Keep it small! Real percussion recordings are preferred."

Please send them primarily Percussion-based Instrumental Cues that evolve as they progresses. Your submissions should not feel huge or overly grand and should have simple ideas that get right to the point. Your submissions can have additional instrumentation, but the majority of it should be Percussion-based.

TAXI Tip: Your Instrumental Cues can include instrumentation like (but not limited to) Percussion, Frame drums, Congas, Shakers, Snare (from small marching bands), etc., but feel free to get inventive and creative with the instruments and sounds you use! However, they said NO tuned mallets instruments.

It was kinda cool to mic up my plethora of percussion pieces that I rarely play and bang away on my assortment of bongos, cajons, shakers, triangles, tambourines, etc. I've never claimed to be a percussionist, but with a little quantization on my playing, I guess it was passable!

~~Matt
This stuff is so brilliant! I am big fan of your style of writing... You always have that forward momentum in your tracks and they are full of excitement. How much time do you roughly spend on one of these or is that difficult to say?
Cheers,
Matt

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:35 am

Hey Matt,

Nice work....
I did a few for that listing.... but forgot to submit them!

I usually use midi drums for these..... unlike you...I must be gettin lazy.

Anyway....great job!!!....as usual.....maybe you will give me a lesson or 2!

My 2 cents worth,
Tim

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:19 am

Thanks guys! There were a handful of chopped-up loops & sample one-shots in these things for the bigger drums & taiko rim sounds, but the bulk of the drums were me just bangin' away on things. And all the snaps & claps were me too, rather than pilfering samples on those.

And thanks for the compliment, Matt. I'd say about 90 minutes or so went in to each one of these tracks.

~~Matt

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:24 am

Hey Matt very nice your stuff is on target. By the way thanks for positive on my Christmas song Figgy Pudding. Also I was watching some post Taxi tv episodes i caught the one with you I want to start getting into more urban Dramady what would you recommend as to what soft ware I should purchase? I have 32 mg of memory 10.13.6 MAC I HAVE KOMPLETE 10 ULTIMATE THe Taxi TV show was very motivating . I am a highschool teacher so with my summer's off I am planning some super goals. I know your a super busy composer would it be okay if and when i complete a piece can I forward it to you for some advice?

BEST, Ron :)
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

ChrisW
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ChrisW » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:13 pm

Oh Wow thank you for posting these Matt they're incredible!

Congrats on the forwards!

Chris

chrismugs
Impressive
Impressive

Post by chrismugs » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:28 am

killer job Matt! Secret Sauce is fire!!! your percussion and rhythm skills are certainly more than just passable.

ericmakesmusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ericmakesmusic » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:14 am

Matt, I love these!!! Love the way they evolve. And I love the way you keep rising to new challenges and then killing it!!

TaxiOpps
Active
Active

Post by TaxiOpps » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:59 am

Nice work Matt-
MikeC

JeanieLarkin
Active
Active

Post by JeanieLarkin » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:27 am

Hi Matt,

So cool!! Thanks so much for posting these!! I had 3 failed attempts recently at a percussion instrumental; I just couldn't find the right approach or flow! These are definitely inspiring and I cannot believe you only need 90 minutes on each! Wowzers! I'm beginning to get quicker but I think it will be months (if not years!) before I'm anywhere near that speed!!

Well done!!! Keep showing us newbies how it's done!!!

Jeanie