4 returns - Time to say goodbye probably when my renewal is up in March

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Re: 4 returns - Time to say goodbye probably when my renewal is up in March

Post by SubRivers » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:55 am

I noticed that all the tracks are mastered hot and compressed just by looking at the wave forms.
Maybe that lack in dynamics is being perceived as artificial and not organic.

Just a thought!

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Robertj64 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:15 pm

CTWF wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:29 am
Robertj64 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:16 am
One thing consistent with this forum is that when you bring an unfair review, someone will find a fault with it that has nothing to do with the feedback mentioned. I really like the mixes by the way and no they do not feel midi sequenced at all. Congrats on your placements!
Tresero has gotten the stiff/MIDI comment from screeners more than once over the years. It is recorded players, so is it not worth investigating why the screener gets that feel even though it is recorded players? Is it the mix? Is it the mic placements? What is it why that screener thinks that and does not forward it? What are her/his references and how do they differ from Tresero's tracks?

Just trying to bring in some perspective here.

Listening just to the first track, yes, great track, but it does not sound particularly "organic". Is it lacking room ambience? Lack of background noise? No idea. But it does make me curious.
Well, Tom...the screener either cannot discern that there is real brass on the track or the screener is not competent to properly assess accurately what is wrong with what he/she are hearing. There is no third option.

Does the song pass in the fundamental structure of being on pitch, arrangement, mix and production rise to the level for a tv/film production. That should be the main crux of focus here...not to speculate what the screener was thinking or to pick apart the mix to justify the decision. The screener here simply failed to properly assess the track and gave feedback that was not helpful.

In summation, we can all agree here that these tracks are up to par for a film or tv production and that again the return was not helpful because the OP is fed up and I don't blame him.

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:27 pm

SubRivers wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:55 am
I noticed that all the tracks are mastered hot and compressed just by looking at the wave forms.
Maybe that lack in dynamics is being perceived as artificial and not organic.

Just a thought!
Good observation. I've heard that 'visual' described as "the stick of butter" graphic.
Though not the nuts & bolts by which to judge a mix - that first impression may well be the first speed bump in the road.

Too bad for the journey of those great-sounding compositions. Oy.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:23 pm

Thanks for the replies. I did contact Taxi. We shall see what they say.

As I mentioned, if the mix is bad or out of tune or whatever, that's one thing, and I don't mind the feedback. But the stiff/MIDI thing is the problem. I'll do another mix of the first one and post it just if you think it changes any minds :)

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Robertj64 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:21 pm

CTWF wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:03 pm
It is the old problem that the screener cannot necessarily always precisely point to what they feel is not 100% right with a track. That is why the forum is so useful and it seems Tresero has gotten potentially valuable feedback on here already.
Robertj64 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:15 pm
The screener here simply failed to properly assess the track and gave feedback that was not helpful.
I am not really convinced by your assessment. The screener is not necessarily a producer and giving very precise feedback can be difficult. We just had a case the other day where it was unclear whether something was a hiss, a shuffled wedding dress in a wardrobe (where the recording took place!), a brush on a snare, or some other noise/artefact.

If it now turns out that Tresero can improve the mix with the help of the forum's additional feedback, is that not all we can ask for with a $5 submission?

Tom
Did you find something wrong with the track? I didn't. It got accepted outside Taxi. So the feedback here is not merited. The fundamental question is whether the track is up to quality as I have said before. Not only was the screener wrong about that, he was wrong about the track being "midi" and having "stiffness". This does not look good. Kudos to Tresero for indulging the various viewpoints.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:33 am

I think you are taking the screener critiques too far in this thread, it reads more like screener bashing. These guys definitely know what they are doing, so rather than just polishing your own glory, which can only justify more returns, I’d suggest spending more time narrowing down the true issues with your tracks. You have had proper feedback here in the thread, yet continues like nothing is recieved, and dont understand the finer nuances of it.

This type of ranting does not help anyone of us, and can lead to less feedback from the screeners, if they think submitters can’t read or recieve feedback properly, it may hurt all who tries to use Taxi as the great tool it is. Its just unprofessional.

Threads like these also discourages me to provide feedback in these forums. This is not what these forums are about at all, imo.
Ceo of my own life

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Robertj64 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:32 am

Kolstad wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:33 am
I think you are taking the screener critiques too far in this thread, it reads more like screener bashing. These guys definitely know what they are doing, so rather than just polishing your own glory, which can only justify more returns, I’d suggest spending more time narrowing down the true issues with your tracks. You have had proper feedback here in the thread, yet continues like nothing is recieved, and dont understand the finer nuances of it.

This type of ranting does not help anyone of us, and can lead to less feedback from the screeners, if they think submitters can’t read or recieve feedback properly, it may hurt all who tries to use Taxi as the great tool it is. Its just unprofessional.

Threads like these also discourages me to provide feedback in these forums. This is not what these forums are about at all, imo.
We are paying for a service here. We have a right to air our grievances if we feel like it. The subtitle of this section partially reads "hate it, let us know". You are of the opinion that "these guys know what they are doing" which is your right to express. Those of us who disagree with you have an equal right to dissent.

People are diverse in their opinions and so as long as there is civility in discussion, the forum can still be a vibrant place to ensue conversation on multiple fronts.

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:35 am

Kolstad wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:33 am

Was this for me? If so, where am I wrong in airing a concern for something I not only pay a yearly fee, but also a fee for submission?

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:45 pm

As a followup, I did hear back from the head screener who agreed they weren't MIDI/Stiff. One ended up getting forwarded, and I also got some additional feedback.

Thanks everyone.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:50 pm

Good for you, Jon! You clearly have what it takes to produce great music :)