#416-Instros Too Repetitive - not complaining, need to understand

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mfowler
Impressive
Impressive

#416-Instros Too Repetitive - not complaining, need to understand

Post by mfowler » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:34 pm

So we need to have music around 1:30 in length minimum, get to the point soon and not be too repetitive.
Also, a cue should not deviate from the intended mood.

I was close on a couple of submissions and both had this checked. Both had a couple of other issues I agree with.
I have never complained about a return, I just try to do better and I'm not complaining about getting these returns.

How much weight is applied to being "too repetitive"? Would that solely be enough to reject?

I've had a lot of placements over the years in libraries and I've never been told that. I listen to the cues on tv all the time and I notice: they are generally only 5 to 20 seconds of play and they are repetitive as they dont have time to develop, or have either a breakdown or a B section!

I could certainly see the need for more development and less repetition for a song, but not that much for a cue, especially how I hear them being used currently.
Any advice how to be less repetitive and stay within the parameters, or are my parameters off? Should I be doing a "mini" version of a full piece of music?

I've been gone from Taxi for a few years and joined again. Maybe times are a changin'?

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: #416-Instros Too Repetitive - not complaining, need to understand

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:23 pm

It isn't about how they end up being used in the show, it's about giving the editor enough options.

If they want the same 4 bars looping over and over for 30 seconds the editor can grab the part they like and do it themselves. Your job is to give them enough variation so they can find the perfect part they need.

There is a whole discussion here and if you scroll to the end there is a tip sheet you can download

avoiding-repetitiveness-t146048.html

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:13 pm

Interesting... I had a return last week because it was not repetitive enough. :) I too had left Taxi and have had a lot of placements and a ton in libraries. Here is one of the comments:
"This is good, although, the top line square wave melody changes it's motivic structure where as if you maintain the same rhythmic phrasing throughout and swap the motivic line via instrumentation and or register, the track can maintain the "singular idea" aspect of a cue."
And one from a different track for the same listing:
"When composing a "cue", stay on one motivic line, like your bass line. Try not to change direction by adding alternative melodic motivic lines over the established motive. Structure the motif bass line and swap out the bass with another instrument, or reduce the rhythmic phrasing of the line, or place it in another register. Utilizing these techniques can maintain the "singular idea" aspect of the desired cue structure. A cue structure does not utilize a "verse-chorus"."
So I interpret this to mean the screener would like to see a single theme that is delivered by different instruments. Do not add new themes or ideas. I've become used to adding slight variation to give editors choices, and I'm always sure to incorporate edit points to make it easier for them.

(the tracks referenced above are "Ladies Choice" and "Late Night Cruising" on my profile page: https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau)
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:29 pm

Paulie wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:13 pm
So I interpret this to mean the screener would like to see a single theme that is delivered by different instruments. Do not add new themes or ideas. I've become used to adding slight variation to give editors choices, and I'm always sure to incorporate edit points to make it easier for them.
IOW an A-A-A-A structure ( see post linked above )

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:28 pm

Interesting... I had a return last week because it was not repetitive enough.
I did have some very similar feedback on 4 returns recently....
This is good, yet, try an alt-arrangement and reduce the additional melodic lines. Remove the sing-song lines and maintain the "accompaniment" attitude. Keeping it less busy and consistent with the established motif can get this closer to the listing's request for a "cue".
(feedback was similar on all 4 tracks since they all had the same issue)

...I have read that post Mark pointed out and printed the cheatsheet although clearly I needed to give it one final look before submitting because in hindsight I think I got carried away as there were indeed a lot of melodic ideas, however I still didn't feel the track was working when removing the "sing-song lines" as suggested for some reason.

So my question is, what kind of melodies work better in cues generally speaking? I am thinking maybe more shorter or more rhythmic but I can definitely use some advice from all of you who are more seasoned in writing cues.

Also, how do you know if a listing wants an AAA cue or an ABA cue? Do they fit best to a specific style?

PS. The 4 tracks in question can be found in the playlist below (minus the last track)

https://soundcloud.com/user-981810763/s ... ydNgWehOj8

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:39 am

OwenGrech wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:28 pm
So my question is, what kind of melodies work better in cues generally speaking? I am thinking maybe more shorter or more rhythmic but I can definitely use some advice from all of you who are more seasoned in writing cues.

Also, how do you know if a listing wants an AAA cue or an ABA cue? Do they fit best to a specific style?
Sounds like good questions for Steve on this afternoon's Taxi TV. I encourage you to email these in for the show! From This Post)

[snip]Live Q&A with Steve!

We should have enough time to do a pretty extensive Q&A session with Steve, so please email your questions to TAXITV@TAXI.com no later than Monday, June 14th at NOON (Pacific time). Questions received before the show will get answered first. If we have extra time we’ll take questions from the chat room.[/snip]

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:01 am

As much as I like to be present in the chat, it will be around 1am here and I'll be fast asleep :) BUT it is a good idea to shoot that email!